Beiträge von Ace17

Regarding the misconception that there are not enough MIDI parameters to support something like the TI, that is not correct because you can always use NRPNs (MIDI Non-Registered Parameters) instead of standard controllers (CCs) to communicate with the device. This NRPN "protocol" is part of the MIDI spec and supports thousands of parameters (up to 16,384) on a device. This is actually how the Dave Smith Instruments communicate with the SoundTower patch editors (for the Prophet '08 and Tetra, for example). Actually, on the DSI stuff, you have the option to use either CCs or NRPNs because there are so few parameters. But you could easily support something like the TI via the use of NRPNs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRPN

The link you posted tells the MIDI CC used by NRPN are 98 and 99.
    On the Virus TI MIDI implementation PDF, I can see these are both mapped to unison parameters. I can see no NRPN on other controllers numbers in this doc. Am I missing something? Does the Virus support NRPN at all?

Second question. When I save my sounds from Ram Banks to Rom banks-just to have enough space to create new sounds for new songs-will the multis be intelligent enough to find the new destination of the single sounds that I moved to the Rom banks?

Each of the first 16 multis contain copies of the actual single patches they're using, so they're not affected by the reordering of the other patches. AFAIK the next multis (starting from 17) only contain references to single patches. I highly doubt them being updated when moving single patches.

But it does suggest that it is actually possible to control more than 128 Virus TI parameters via MIDI.

Each page holding 128 parameters, you can map page A to MIDI CC (default configuration), and page B to MIDI key aftertouch (whose format is similar to CC). So this allows access to 256 parameters.

A look at a patch dump teaches us that there are way more than 256 parameters. For example, the arppegiator pattern, which lies in another page, is not accessible by this method. The only way to completely control the synth is via MIDI SYSEX.

The difference between these interfaces and Virus Control is that they use good old fashioned midi to communicate control changes. As far as I can tell, Virus Control does something different in syncing the Virus that causes more timing issues and audio glitching than it's worth.

I can see one problem with your approach. How to handle the big parameter count of the Virus? You only have 128 continuous controllers (CC) available when using "good old fashioned midi". Sysex is not an option, as most DAW simply don't transmit it.

Good job!

Going to test this on my (old) laptop somewhere the next few days, this will be great to reduce the workload i usually get when using VC on it - only has 1 gig of ram so i welcome every way to preserve memory .

Thank you!
    This is the main reason I wrote this plugin : saving resources, especially CPU power. The display of the VC user interface eats up to 30% CPU on my computer (1.8Ghz), which is far from acceptable.
    Not to mention the ridiculously long MIDI file (all patches) parsing at the VC plugin startup. The only workaround I found was to move all the MIDI files to another directory.

Hi Virus users!

*** Please go to the end of this thread for last updates ***.

My VST plugin is ready for a release. It's basically a patch-holder which communicates with a Virus TI through MIDI.
    It's called AceMidivirus, and it's a fake VSTi plugin you load into a dummy track and which gets loaded/saved with your song.
    When loading your song, it switches your synth to "sequencer mode" and sends the song patches to the different parts.

Here's what it looks like inside FL studio (for non-FL users: it's the dialog on the left-half of the picture).

[Blockierte Grafik: http://ace17.free.fr/acemidivirus.PNG]

It's completely free and open-source, you can download it here:
    https://launchpad.net/acevirus

Here's a direct link to the archive (the plugin is called "AceMidivirus-r69.dll") :
    http://launchpad.net/acevirus/…oad/AcePluginPack-r69.zip

Quick start:
    - create a MIDI track in your DAW.
    - insert an instance of AceMidivirus into it.
    - Choose "Virus TI Synth" in both comboboxes at the bottom of the plugin window.
    - Then click "receive" on the parts you want to download from the synth. They will be saved when you will save your song.
    - If you have tweaked controllers and want to restore the original state of the patch, click "Send".
    - If you want to load/save patches from files, the export/import buttons will do the job.

Remark: as the plugin completely bypasses the host to communicate with the Virus (because many hosts don't forward MIDI sysex), and the "Virus TI Synth" midi driver don't allow multiple connections : so the host must not directly open the "Virus TI Synth" MIDI device. That's why I strongly recommend using "MIDI Yoke" + "MIDI OX" in order not to connect directly to "Virus TI Synth". I'll be glad to post information on how to do this if someone is insterested.
    For Reaper users: a non-host-bypassing option is in work ;)

Please let me know what you think! Any comments, feature requests, tips, are welcome.

Mmm, this does not look like a USB problem. Are you sure the Virus is receiving the MIDI notes? (=does the little note sign in the Virus LCD shows up?)

Have you tried to set your part output to "analog out"? Then, do you hear something on the headphones?
    I used to launch the Virus Control inside a VMWare running Windows XP, and I had audio coming out of the synth (from the headphones). The synth isn't even aware its plugin is being virtualized, it should behave the same way.

Of course it works! :)

The "TI not receiving MIDI while USB is plugged in" is not a bug, it's a feature!
    It allows great flexibility of usage. It allows you to remove or insert your PC into the MIDI chain without having to physically reconnect anything. I wouldn't want the TI to behave differently! ;)