Beiträge von Ace17

Maybe you could then let the VC plugin handle the incoming midi (redirect your midi tracks to the VC plugin instead of "Virus TI Synth") and select the analog outputs in the VC?

What DAW do you use ? My patch-manager plugin works only under FL studio, but I'm considering porting it to VST (I'm migrating to energyXT).

Hello,

Correct me if I wrong, but you could add an extra track to your project. This track would directly be targeted to "Virus TI Synth" midi output, to a channel whose output mode would be configured to one of the analog outputs.

This won't prevent you to use the VC plugin in this project (for the total integration feature), but without the USB audio features.

I must admit that at the time I was using FL studio, I was not using the VC plugin at all, because it took too much time loading. I was using a homemade MIDI-only patch-management-plugin, and using spdif to transmit the audio from the synth to the DAW.

Please allow me to disagree : a 44.1/48 kHz mismatch does not correspond to the Sol/Do (G/C) frequency ratio (3/2). I seems rather like the patch or the midi keyboard has been transposed.

In fact, I'm experiencing trouble with my setup. I'm running Windows XP.
    Sometimes, the soundcard gets stuck, when opening the audio device. I cannot play any sound, players start playing but are stuck on "0:00" and I hear nothing.
    If I switch the clock of my soundcard to "internal" (instead of spdif) then I can play sounds again. If I switch back to "spdif" immediately, the soundcard is still stuck. But If I play a song (clock being set to "internal") for some time, then set the clock back to "spdif", the soundcard is working again.
    When my Virus was only connected by MIDI+spdif, I didn't have this problem. I'm having this trouble only since I'm connecting the Virus TI using USB (I only use USB for MIDI, all audio goes through spdif). So I'm suspecting the Virus not to correctly generate spdif clock in this case.
    BTW it never gets stuck in the middle of a song. It's always at the beginning (when the application opens the device).
    That's why the audio clock generation is so important : i'm afraid there's some kind of clock loop here (virus clocked by usb driver, usb driver clocked by soundcard, soundcard clocked by spdif, spdif clocked by virus ???).
    If somebody with enough technical knowledge to understand what's going in my setup would answer to my questions, I'd be very gratefull!
    :)

Another information : If I boot under Linux, same connections (spdif + usb), I'm never having this problem. It only happens under Windows XP. Of course, under Linux, the soundcard driver is different, and the drivers for the virus are different (I wrote one part of them actually :thumbup: ).

Hi all,

First of all, I want to say that my setup is running pretty well.

I'm using a Virus TI connected to my computer through USB and spdif.
    I have two PCI soundcards. The first one is an onboard one ; I'm not using it for making music.
    I do not use the VirusControl plugin, I use spdif to transmit the audio to the input of my second soundcard.

My second soundcard is an Audiophile 2496, which for some reason (found in the user's manual), must be configured as spdif clock slave (otherwise, no spdif audio is received on the card's input).

If I go to "Audio Clock" config menu on the Virus TI LCD, I see "Frequency : Synced to Host".

This setup works fairly well in most cases ; But, sometimes, I can hear pops & crackles which I can't get rid of, except by a complete reboot (reset computer + unplug synth power cord + edit-arp-power-on).

My questions are :
    1/ Who is generating the audio clock in these situations?
    2/ What is my Virus TI sync'ed to? My second soundcard? How do the TI knows that it is spdif-connected to this soundcard?
    3/ Is the Virus TI USB audio driver generating a clock from software?

Thank you for your answers!

I don't know how the music scene is over there in Europe but in Australia "Electro" is completely different to what your saying and Dark is no way near what you meaning either.

According to you, what should "Dark Electro sound" like ? Could you give us some examples?

BTW Schwarzes Fragment reminds me a lot of Project Pitchfork. If this was the goal, I think it's reached :thumbup:
    Yes, the chord progressions are cheesy, and so are the synthlines, I'm not a big fan, but this is how the style should sound anyway. And yes, it sounds "old", but what's the deal?

Style consideration put appart, if you're accepting some constructive criticism, I have some remarks:
    I think the voice line is a little too monotone. It's too often stuck on the first degree of the scale, or following the fundamental of the chord (e.g Flammenherz). What about add a some melody to this?

And an extra midground synth line doing something more "melodic" (something more complicated than repeated octaves, like an arp) could also greatly improve the thing. Listen for example to "Project Pitchfork - I Leave Your Dream", the piano melody during the chorus is an example of what I mean. "The Lack of Yourself" clearly goes into this direction btw :thumbup:

Another last thing, as an overall impression, the songs lack "interesting events". I think this due to the chord progression staying the same for too long, combined with the fact that all the foreground layers follow the fundamental of the current chord (It sounds like every measure is a transposed version of the previous).

Anyway, good luck with your "dark electro" project ;)

Hi guys,
    here's my Access Music midi file parser.

You can download a windows executable here:
    https://launchpad.net/virussynthmanager
    (The download link is on the right, it is "midi_file.7z")

Here's a direct download link : http://launchpad.net/virussynt…e/+download/midi_parse.7z

The full source code is also available on the same page.

Many thanks to Marc and Joerg of Access Music for their help!

Here's how this tool is used :
    midi_parse --midifile my_patch_file.mid

It can also take raw midi input :
    midi_parse --rawfile my_raw_file.dump

great! contact me privately, if you need help.

best, marc

Thank you!
    But I failed to send you a private message, how should I contact you privately ?

Hi guys,

I'm currently writing such a tool ("access-sysex midi file" -> "text printout" converter). There are lots of parameters, but I agree with Marc, it can totally be done by third parties.

I don't think the sysex format is going to change anyway, at least in a non backward compatible way (because it would invalidate every project using patches in the old format). When you see the current sysex format, it's rather obvious that it's an evolution of older versions (I own a Virus TI 1) and that some design concessions had to be made for the sake of compatibility. (It could also be that Access Music guys have their very own vision of parameter ordering :D ).

I'm going to share everything I have, from my (reversed) docs about the Access Music sysex format (if you're willing to write your own script) to my source code (which is not completely ready yet). I'll post on this thread again when it's ready.

Developers of the world, let's unite to build a collection of powerful accessvirus-related tools! ;)

It roughly matches the 44100/48000 frequency mismatch. Have you tried playing with input clock frequency? (config->audio clock->frequency) It already happened to me after playing with the USB cable disconnected.

Found a minor glitch that appeared since I updated to 4.0.5.01. The previous version I had, 4.0.2.01, did not have this bug.
    In Sequencer mode, when I scroll through banks or patches using +/- keys, the display sometimes shows the new patch for a very short time, then shows the previously showing patch, then, after nearly 1s, finally shows the new patch again and sticks to it.
    It should be easy to reproduce : I'm using 4.0.5.0.01 version of the software, USB cable is plugged but Virus Control is not launched, and there are no incoming MIDI messages (there's no sign in the bottom right corner). It seems to happen less in Single mode.

This would seem to me to be a quite ridiculous state of affairs. I can't remember reading that in the manual but thanks for bringing it to my attention, will have a gander.

Found it, audiophile 2496 english user manual, at the bottom of page 12 :

Zitat

"in situations where S/PDIF In is being used, the audiophile 2496 should be configured to get its master clock from the S/PDIF In data stream. Without this setting, S/PDIF input will not function. Setting the Audiophile to derive its master clock from the incoming S/PDIF stream keeps the Audiophile in tight synchronization with that external S/PDIF device, and no drift occurs. Digital transfers are therefore precise and bit-accurate."

Hi,
    I have a M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 and AFAIK it cannot accept an spdif input signal without being slaved to it. Which means you can't use your audiophile as spdif master and receiving spdif in at the same time. Have a look at the audiophile user manual, if my memory is good, this restriction is mentioned.
    At the moment I'm running my virus as a spdif master and my audiophile as a spdif slave. And this is not very convenient, I must say, but it works very well (except under Windows, where my audio driver sometimes get stuck).