Beiträge von SimonStokes

Hi guys,

I have had my Virus for about a year now and I am still unsure of how to set this up. I have Ableton Suite 8 and use Virus Control to draw in automation / notes etc to play on my Virus. All I want to do is use the MIDI keyboard that I use for my other synths to record a MIDI part that will play back on the Virus, but it adds such a huge amount of latency that it is impossible.

I am sure that I must be doing something wrong otherwise everyone would be complaining. Is it possible to use an external MIDI keyboard to play a TI Desktop through Virus control and have it feel like it is playing instantly, like the keyboard is part of the Virus?

If you have yours working in this way, I would truly appreciate some details of how you set it up. 8)

Thanks a lot,

Simon

Hi all!

Apologies if this has been asked before - I did a search but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Basically, I have a Virus TI2 Desktop which I am using with Ableton Live. Up until now, I have just been sequencing sounds on the Virus by drawing notes in Ableton, but I've decided that I would like to use one of my MIDI keyboards to play in some loops while recording in Live.

So, my issue is trying to find which was is best to do this. If I plug the MIDI keyboard straight into my Virus, it plays in real time nicely, but when I record a part in Ableton the timing is waaaay off. Similarly, if I plug the MIDI keyboard straight into my Soundcard on my PC and play in a pattern there, it sounds perfect when recording but is miles off when I actually play back the part.

Am I doing something wrong here? I understand that there is latency involved but this seems negligible when I am actually playing the part in - it's just where Live places the notes in the clip that seems way off.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Simon

Hi all!

Apologies if this has been asked before - I did a search but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Basically, I have a Virus TI2 Desktop which I am using with Ableton Live. Up until now, I have just been sequencing sounds on the Virus by drawing notes in Ableton, but I've decided that I would like to use one of my MIDI keyboards to play in some loops while recording in Live.

So, my issue is trying to find which was is best to do this. If I plug the MIDI keyboard straight into my Virus, it plays in real time nicely, but when I record a part in Ableton the timing is waaaay off. Similarly, if I plug the MIDI keyboard straight into my Soundcard on my PC and play in a pattern there, it sounds perfect when recording but is miles off when I actually play back the part.

Am I doing something wrong here? I understand that there is latency involved but this seems negligible when I am actually playing the part in - it's just where Live places the notes in the clip that seems way off.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Simon

Hi there,

I am a house and techno producer and I mainly use my TI for all the synth noises in my productions. I would love to create the kind of noise used for the main riff in Kerri Chandler's Bay a Thym but really don't know where to start with creating it! Have a listen to the track -

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    . The riff starts at about 1 minute in and filters in and out all the way through the track - it's such a gorgeous, squelchy, warm noise - if you were trying to make it, where would you start?!

I am also interested in making deep house style pads with a similar complexity to this - if you have any tips then please share!

http://www.myspace.com/mrsimonstokes
    http://www.beatport.com/artist/simon%20stokes
    http://www.youtube.com/siedgey

Hey man,

That sounds pretty rubbish - there's no way you should be getting problems like that. I got my TI2 a couple of months ago and it has worked pretty much flawlessly since day 1, never had a glitch or clip. So you're using Virus Control? Do you have all the audio and MIDI coming down your USB? Taking a shot in the dark here, but it sounds like you could have bandwidth issues with your USB port - have you done anything to rule that out? Maybe try unplugging everything apart from the TI2 and see if it still happens. Also check your USB hubs in device manager.

Sorry if you've already tried those, worth checking though..

I use Ableton with lots of automation - I don't really find it a problem at all? You can add as many automation lanes as you want so you can edit it all at once...that's really the easiest way to do it - I just have a master MIDI channel with the VC on it and all automation (no clips etc) and then have as many other seperate MIDI channels as I need sending to that master track.

Just always try to remember what it was like before VC - you can now just add parameters to be automated and draw them in, no MIDI CC's, nothing. It's amazing.. ;)

EDIT: Ah, I missed page 2 of this post before I posted - I understand what you mean now...for your workflow it's not perfect I suppose. It's definitely an issue with Ableton though, not Access!

Ooooh I've now got Windows 7 64-bit Professional sitting on a DVD ready to be installed, and being the big geek that I am I am chomping at the bit to do it! Problem is - I have everything running just creeeeamy in Vista 64 at the moment and it looks like the only thing that won't work as well in Windows 7 is my black beauty...

Should I just go for it? To be honest I don't really use VC - I load up the plugin then just do everything on the synth itself, I take it that there is no lag if you're doing it that way? Just so you know, I secretly crave problems in my setup. Life is boring when everything works perfectly.. ;)

That was good advice, thanks! Just updated smoothly - I also used a USB port on the back of my PC instead of the front.

Now to test out VC for the first time! :D

Hi there,

Just dropping a wee line to say hello - I am from Glasgow in Scotland and I have recently upgraded my Virus Classic to a Virus TI2 Desktop - what a synth! I produce tech-house, minimal and techno and release on various labels. You can check out my stuff on Beatport - http://www.beatport.com/artist/simon%20stokes/ or my Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/mrsimonstokes. I have a lot of videos of me playing my Virus and other bits of kit live in my wee studio at http://www.youtube.com/siedgey.

I hope to be an involved member of this community!

Thanks,

Simon

Hi there - first post, sorry it's going to be a longish explanation! I am using Vista 64-bit and so was super excited to see the new drivers as I could experience VC for the first time. However, as I am installing 3.3 the drivers install fine but the windows program seems to think that it has completed updating the Virus firmware before it has. Therefore the Virus crashes half way through updating the firmware. The only thing that can be done is pulling the plug and putting the synth into update mode.

Then, I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and it attempted to install the firmware again but couldn't find the TI - it stuck on the Scanning for TI screen. I tried this many times - I then decided to try the 32 bit version on my laptop - same issue. So I rolled back to 3.05 on my 32 bit laptop (since this can't be done on my 64 bit PC) and this worked fine. Tried installing 32 bit 3.3, exact same thing happened - the Virus crashed half way through and had to be rolled back to 3.05 in update mode. I have tried this sooo many times that I am now thoroughly frustrated - can anyone help? I was really surprised to see that no one else has this issue!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)