Beiträge von GESchwalm

Stack 1 left hand sounds like a voice used a lot by Tangerine Dream, like a smooth bass harpsichord. Maybe try searching for a harpsichord-like preset like that on the TI2 that you might could edit?

Stack 2 just sounds like a generic synth pad of which I'm sure you could find something close by scrolling through Pad category.

Funny, I was perusing Emulators and Emax's just last night. :)

Hello everyone!,

For a change of pace from all the technical issues posts, what say we have a little fun? (Except of course, having a technical issue solved IS fun!).

Allow me to initiate a poll of some of our favorite factory patches on our Virus TI2s. Personally, I have auditioned and notated each and every patch through ROM K including the 21 exclusive RAM patches with the rest still remaining eventual perusal. I’m sure not everyone has been as obsessively thorough about this as I have (check my posts discussing wavetables and spectral waves to see what I mean!), but it would be very interesting to learn what sort of patches appeal to the different styles of Virus users out there. We might all even discover a patch we didn’t know we love!

My favorites then will reflect the two or three synths that have influenced me the most over the years, the PPG Wave 2 and 2.2 (yes, of course I’ve never actually played one!!), the Roland D-50, and Yamaha’s phase modulation method coming in a not too distant third, while also including the strong inherent personality of the TI2.

So, to get us started, here are five hard-chosen ROM favorites of mine, 3 pads and 2 arps, the toppermost of the poppermost as it were, taken from my somewhat larger list of favorites:

D31 DualiTI…..Formanty and spectral wavy, with tons of movement needing just a touch of Filter Env attenuation, this patch utilizes a favorite wavetable of mine “Overtunes 2” and a Hypersaw oscillator which I almost never use! Wonders never cease.

D32 DustFld…..(Field? Flood?) My all-time favorite Virus patch so far! If I were an Access salesperson, this is what I would first use to show off the TI2 to a prospective customer, featuring two oscillators worth of “Bat Cave”. Holy Wavetable!

G18 Boingy…..Yep! Sounds like a patch Froese used on the Kafka album. YouTube track #10. You’ll see.

H30 D=CM+1…..Ok, here’s the weird one, cryptic title and all! Evocatively spooky and cinematic, the Dickens to exterminate that annoying distortion, and using a deceptively simple wavetable “Chords”. A ghost haunted by people.

K34 Ganges…..An exotic arp of spectral waves beckoning for adventure. Reminds me of crossing a hemp rope bridge. Never done that.

So let’s hear what your favorite patches are, two or three or so, and maybe a little bit about why you chose them!

Cheers!

GESchwalm

Presented by

Rapturenaut Digital Christian Studio

Houston, Texas

"glorifying God through electronic music"

Is there a way to set and/or change global BPM tempo on the TI Virus arpeggiator without using a midi clock from an external device?

Yes! On the hardware unit, go to the central Edit button (near the display screen) and press to Common menu. Tempo control will be on page one, or you can use Shift + Amp Env Release. It will affect the Arp, clocked LFOs, and clocked Delay effect.

Cheers! :)

Haven’t done any sound design on the Virus for almost a year. Have to find my way back into that

Likewise! I’ve been preoccupied with home repair projects myself for several months now. Slowly getting back to working in my studio….

Why do you prefer to use that Sine wavetable compared to the standard virtual analog Oscillator? Other features of the Wavetable Oscillators?

Exactly! Osc 2 Wavetable Mode has the PM carrier function, so I assumed Access’s reason for the Sine table was mostly for doing 2-operator, DX style tones which can be fun. Of course, the Wave Shaper in Filter sats can give you very similar results, too. Otherwise, I almost never use sine waves!

I think I once used it for FM because it allows a different FM mode IIRC.

Yes, Osc 2 Wavetable Mode has a choice of FM (not a big fan but glad it’s there) or the PM function. Osc 2 Classic Mode gives you only FM ability but with a choice of modulator sources from Osc 1.

I’m sure you’re already familiar with of all of this, and I hope you don’t mind my reiteration! :)

So… hoe do you use these Wavetables? I guess setting Interpolation to zero is the first step, but then?

There's actually not much to it. Set the interpolation value to the degree you want the waves in the table to be blended, 127 if you want to hear the individual waves that make up the table each by themselves. Then manually sweep through the index to look for a wave that's sounds interesting to you to use as the oscillator's assigned wave, and then continue with your normal processing in constructing a patch, such as incorporating the other oscillators, filtering, envelopes, effects, etc. It's just like choosing a wave to use from the Classic Mode's Spectral Wave selection.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, a single wave that contains lots of harmonics can be used all by itself to make a nice evolving wavetable-like pad by modulating a bandpass filter with a tri-wave bipolar LFO in poly mode. I always add dual unison with some detuning and stereo spread to lush it up. I'm sure there must be other applications - using the arpeggiator somehow, or filter modulations with a S&H LFO, or an envelope, etc.

I'm not saying that there will always be sonically interesting single waves to be found in the tables I've listed for this use, only that these tables don't appear to me to be useful for anything but single wave selection. Actually, any of the TI's 100 wavetables can be candidates for finding interesting single waves using the coarse interpolation/manual index scan approach. Don't forget of course, the Sine table is made up of only one sine wave.

I am intrigued to learn about this approach since it could open up sound capabilities I haven’t thought of before.

I'm so glad you're interested! :)

Cheers!

GES

Fantastic!! I wish someone with more ability in this sort of thing than I am capable of would mass produce and make available for sale this great idea! In fact, it would be really nice if Access would include (or would have included) one of these with your purchase of a TI2! ;)

Hello everyone!,

Though this forum's posts seem to be more about maintenance issues these days, after perusing my own older posts with discussions about the TI2's abilities which I do so enjoy, I discovered a list in the original post of this short thread that I never followed through with an update, now that I have long since become much more familiar with the wavetables, as I did with my humbly ;) submitted lists of personal favorite wavetables for choir patches or for finding basic analog waves to use for the PM or PWM wavetable functions, found in another one of my posts. Wavetable Categorization Essay and Chart - Share your tips and tricks - Access Virus Forum

So, addressing the list above regarding wavetables that contain an assortment of seemingly unrelated waves better suited for being simply banks of single cycle waveforms from which to choose (instead of index modulating), ala the TI's own dedicated Spectral Wave selection, here now for those still interested is that list's revised version:

Sine

SportReport (a favorite)

the 3 Sundial wavetables (1 and 2 are favorites)

the 2 Clipdial wavetables (1 is a favorite)

TableDance (another favorite)

and a table of bell-themed but still unrelated waves (also a favorite):

Metal Guru

Wavetables in the old list not included in this new list were found to be usable after all with the various regular index modulation applications.

Anyone still feeling inclined to participate in a discussion like this would be most welcomed and appreciated! I do miss the "good 'ol days"! :)

Cheers!,

GES

Presented by

Houston, Texas

You can unplug the Virus TI power supply, then hold TAP and CONFIG while plugging it back in. You'll then see the serial number.

There seems to be several of these "secret" button combinations that do various functions, including the more known "Hold arp edit button while powering up" reset function. Hadn't heard of the "TAP and CONFIG for serial number" trick before! Can't remember the others offhand and they're not found in the owner's manual!

Anybody got a full list of all of these button combination diagnostic functions?

Thanks! :)

Nobody to help me with my random screen ?

Well, there's all the basics: Check internal battery, check power supply, do a reset (on the TI it is holding down the arp edit button, not sure for the C).

At least that's a start!

Lol, I absolutely love Star Trek! :) Awesome suggestions:) I want to keep the release short as well, so like an abrupt stop with a soft, dark reverb tail- maybe a comb filter would help give the sounds some spacey texture lol. I looked for hours earlier- tweaking some presets but couldn't nail the sound...yet. I'm going to give it another shot shortly. Thanks again for your excellent suggestions:)

Happy to help! Not sure, but maybe what you're after would be using only the noise generator? Start with an Init patch, turn any regular osc's off, turn the NG on and set, filter cutoff and resonance to taste, filter keyfollow the c/o to pitch it across the keys or filter envelope to modulate the c/o per key strike, set the amp envelope how you want, and then add the reverb and maybe some flanging for a comb filter effect.

As I said, I'm not quite sure what you're after, but this would definitely portray a "vacuum in space" type effect.

Let us know how it turns out!

Cheers!

The type of sound I'm looking for could be described as a void opening and closing or a vacuum closing type sound.

Reminds me of some Star Trek episodes! How about trying a "dark" spacious reverbed pad that you could probably already find in the Darkstar's sound banks, and then add a slow enveloped noise generator "whoosh" to it. Play some atonal chords in the lower registers and there you go- the door into another universe!

Just a suggestion! :)

Wow! First time I've been able to log on for months! I've been right here keeping up with everyone's posts! At one point Access had me set up a new account to be able to log in again, but that didn't help. It looks like they finally gave the forum an update.

I am so sorry to see all the conversation about the TI aspect of the Virus not keeping up with the times. As a standalone only user, I hope Access remains as a viable company in case we ever need repairs on a truly remarkable synth otherwise.

So.....a belated "hello!" to all the gang out there! I hope everyone is faring well these curious days!

GE Schwalm

Houston, Texas