Beiträge von DovGoldman

ozon Thank you. Do you know if Virus Control runs on later MacOS versions (beyond 10.14)?

I don’t use TI. All I care about is Virus Control to manage the hardware. If I had a burning need to program my Virus from software, I would use an iPad app anyway.

——————-

Posted as a new thread.

ozon thats exactly my concern. I want only 1 computer to support my music needs.

I do own a mid-2010 MacBook Pro that I upgraded years ago to more RAM and an SSD. I would use OpenCore to install Sonoma, but it’s already ridiculously slow on Mojave.

I am hoping to get a 2019ish Intel MacBook Pro from my employer at a very low cost, and using OpenCore, load a dual-boot configuration of Mojave and Sonoma.

I am assuming you’re asking about Aura Plug-ins Virus Hardware Editor.

If so, it’s both. It is roughly analogous to the Access Virus TI package of a standalone application for managing the banks of patches on the synth, along with a plug-in.

The Aura editor does not currently support editing if remote templates, which allow you to use the TI to control other devices via MIDI.

Thanks for the very good advice (I’ve been in I/T since the 80’s and I know you’re right).

That said, I’m getting an Intel MacBook Pro from work at a very low price, so it doesn’t represent much of an investment.

I need a machine in my rack to configure my Virus and a bunch of other gear, so the dual-boot offers very high utility to me. One machine will serve many configuration purposes and the cabling to support it will require the flip of a couple switches to go from one use case to another.

I use Logic Pro iPad, so the actual TI plug-in itself isn’t relevant to me.

ozon have you looked into these?

OpenCore Legacy Patcher

https://www.vmware.com/uk/products/fusion/fusion-evaluation.html

Interesting.

If my use case were using the TI plug-in in a DAW, that could be worth looking into.

I sequence my TI2 with a Squarp Hapax hardware sequencer. I use a DAW for recording audio, but have no interest in the plug-in.

I’ll probably just do what was planned - acquire a much newer Intel Mac and dual-boot it so I’m on MacOS 14 for everything other than Virus Control, and MacOS 10.14 for the rare times when I need VC.

If someone told me they had VC reliably running in a Windows VM on Apple Silicon, I would have considered that option. It is possible (and supported by Microsoft) to run Windows 11 on Apple ARM processors. Will the x86 code of Virus TI run in that? The material I found indicated there are several ARM-based options for emulation of an x86 processor, but they’re slow and unreliable. To me, it’s not worth the hassle of playing with Windows and a buggy X86 emulator.

Bump.

I’m considering getting a newer Intel Mac (my current one is a mid 2010 MacBook) and setting it to dual-boot the current OS and the last version compatible with Virus Control.

The alternative is an Apple Silicon Mac with a Windows VM like Parallels. Has anyone gotten this to work?

I brought this up when I spoke to Kemper customer service about the Kemper Profiler Player I ordered from our local in-country distributor.

The very friendly gentleman I spoke with said that Cristoph is painfully aware of our frustration, and that the issue is one of resources. He claims that they have been unable to hire the programmer needed for this work due to the labor market in Germany.

I hope CK tries harder. It seems that Kemper is selling a huge amount of the new pedals. Perhaps some of those profits could help reactivate support for the Virus. Either way, it would be nice if we heard from ckemper about this. Radio silence isn’t helping…

Now that I’ve ordered a Kemper Profiler Player, I’m reading discussion boards to learn about the device. The level of interest in this new product is incredible, and I suspect Kemper is selling a lot more units than expected.

I’m hoping that the surge of revenue and profits, Kemper’s continued success at wringing musical gear miracles out of the lowly 56k DSP chip and the way they are using the Virus series as a part of their marketing of the new pedal, will act as a reminder that the Virus is a great product, and worth continuing.

ckemper, if you happen to read this post, you’ve duly earned your reputation as one of the best (if not the singular finest) in electronic music gear design today. I have personally purchased both a Virus TI2 Desktop and a Profiler Player - I’m investing my money and precious time into your first-rate products.

Your firm’s lack of support for the Virus damages your excellent reputation. You clearly currently have the capability in your firm to write and update 56k DSP code, and to pair that with drivers and control applications for Mac, Windows, IOS and Android. Why not leverage some of your capabilities to continue support for your legendary Virus TI/TI2 synthesizer?

And Cristoph Kemper says, “Let there be a new Kemper Pedal,” and with a wave of his hand (and a strong dose of his admirable, and some would say magical, musical gear engineering), releases the Kemper Profile Player.

What DSP did he build this exciting new product on?

Needless to say, legions of Virus owners must be asking the age-old question, “Is Kemper writing code on a new DSP platform, or do they have a new and not ‘end of life’ version of the Freescale chip our Virus runs on?” What does this mean for the future of our beloved synth platform? Or does this mean nothing at all for synth players?! I wager the latter, but we’ll see…

I’m already thinking that I might replace the IK Multimedia Tonex pedal I play guitar through (with the help of some pre- and post-Tonex effects courtesy of my beloved Virus TI2 Desktop) with this seemingly amazing new product.

The speculation is undoubtedly rampant. I’m excited by the prospect of all the energy that will be expended discussing and arguing about this!

Let the forum pyrotechnics begin!

And Cristoph Kemper says, “Let there be a new Kemper Pedal,” and we now have the Kemper Profile Player.

What DSP did he build this exciting new product on?

Needless to say, legions of Virus owners must be asking the age-old question, “Is Kemper writing code on a new DSP platform, or do they have a new version of the Freescale chip our Virus runs on?”

The speculation is undoubtedly rampant. I’m excited by the prospect of all the energy that will be expended discussing and arguing about this!

I’m not making any excuses for Mr. Kemper, but…

Not many companies support a product for this long. There are a few exceptions, like RME (also a German music technology company), but most wouldn’t keep updating a 14-year old platform with new drivers.

Fortunately for us, other developers have released products like Patchbase, Aura’s Hardware Editor and Touch for Virus. And, some of us don’t really care if TI works. We sequence with hardware like Squarp Hapax.

The Virus is dead. Long live VIRUS!

AEGYRE the Touch for iPad app works fine with my Virus. In my rig, the app connects through a USB-C hub to an iConnectivity MioXM MIDI hub, which I’ve connected the Virus TI2 via a Mio DIN to USB adapter.

Most relevant to your question

To be sure I’m giving you an accurate answer, just now I tested plugging the iPad directly to the Virus TI2 USB port with my Anker PowerExpand 6-in-1 USB C PD Hub (available currently on Amazon for $35). It worked fine. I’ve also used my ADG 9-in-1 100W GaN Charger USB-C Docking Station with no problems.

Each of these devices mimics the Apple “Camera Connection Kit” or Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, acting as a USB C hub and providing USB-C PD charging capabilities. The combination of functionality is quite helpful, as you can power/charge the iPad while using it to control the Virus.

More background

Further, if you want to “play with fire” as I do, a hub like one of these can connect to an audio interface at the same time it’s interfacing with a MIDI synth like the Virus, or even a MIDI network like the one I use. I’ve got a Behringer XR18 mixer recording to Apple Logic Pro for iPad, simultaneous with lots of MIDI communication. The iPad is quite a powerful musical tool!

I use the MioXM because I have an elaborate MIDI setup with a bunch of other keyboards, tone generators and controllers. The MioXM, while really helpful if you want to connect a lot of MIDI gear, doesn’t directly connect to the Virus via USB, as the Virus is not fully MIDI Class Compliant. The Mio solves that problem for me, connecting via DIN MIDI.

I hope this helps!

Welcome to the fellowship of Virus synth lovers.

djantimatter I share your frustration over Kemper’s non-responsiveness.

That said, if you had a Prophet 5 (any rev) or a Blofeld, for example, you would have to sequence and control the synth in some fashion other than with a TI- or Aura HE-like plugin. LIke Sacguy71, I sequence my TI2 Desktop with a Hapax. I use Aura HE as a patch librarian only.

Your workflow clearly revolves around a DAW. So many who work “ITB” (in the box, for any who aren’t familiar with the acronym) seem to focus their efforts entirely on plug-ins. A friend who is known for having produced 2 songs a week for several years for a highly successful TV series insists that “hardware outboard” just isn’t relevant to anyone who needs instant session recall and portability between studio environments. This friend wouldn’t have touched a hybrid plug-in/hardware solution like TI, no matter how well it worked.

I’m sorry your (and our) implied contract with Cristof Kemper was broken. He doesn’t seem to care all that much, so I’m not personally terribly invested in continuing to try to get his attention. I’ll just keep on sequencing my beloved TI2 and all of my other tone generators with the wonderful Hapax or Logic Pro for iPad. That seems to work just fine.