Beiträge von DovGoldman

Quark no, Virus TI isn’t class-compliant. If it were, no special driver would be required. Class-compliant devices (at least when paired with Apple computing gear) don’t require any driver at all, as the Mac OS and IOS Core MIDI functions work with them out of the box.

The “special” USB driver appears to send a few bytes of data, which enable the Virus TI to work. By definition, class-compliant USB devices like audio interfaces require no such preparation.

Which would be very welcome as one part of a future solution.

However, the Motorola/Freescale DSPs used in the TIs are out of production for several years now, and available stock is running out. Perhaps slower than expected by Access Music — and therefore support for currently still available products must be sustained beyond planned EOL.

An updated, more powerful, fully backward compatible TI3 based on current technology and FPGA processors would be a proper platform to carry us over the next 20-30 years or beyond.

I would look forward to an updated driver so we can resume using the TI functionality on newer Macs. Getting our hopes up for a TI3 is a recipe for disappointment.

Sacguy71 do you like your Virus TI2?

I hadn’t played mine for a while, until I turned it on a couple days ago. I played a Bach Prelude (Prelude in C minor, BWV 847) through a bunch of presets.

It sounded absolutely divine.

In other words, I love my Virus synth!!! I don’t care if they discontinue it. I’m not thrilled Virus Control doesn’t work on new Mac OS’s, but Aura’s plug-in does the job quite well.

Nothing is perfect, but the Virus is one of the most amazing synths ever made.

Big Jimmy its not Aura Plug-ins’ fault that Access isn’t updating their drivers.

That said, $70 to make your $2,000 prize synth seems worth it to me. I bought their package.

Supporting Aura’s efforts benefits the Virus community by extending the useful life of this expensive piece of gear.

Just saying…

MagicJukebox and Sacguy71 you’ve introduced a topic argued on other discussion boards endlessly (modeler vs. tube amp).

I started playing electric guitar again last November after decades of not owning an electric (or a tube amp, for that matter). Initially, I used my beloved Virus TI2 for distortion, delay and other effects.

I am not buying a tube amp, and literally don’t have space for one. Using the Virus for guitar effects was a temporary stopgap until I could get a modeling pedal.

Now that I own a Headrush MX5 and have spent some time loading IR’s (York’s Vox AC30 edition) and tweaking impedance curve based EQ’s, I love the tone. It’s probably not quite what I would get with an actual AC30, but I’m quite satisfied with what I hear while playing, and in my recordings.

Last night I listened to a track my Sweetwater rep sent me. He uses a Kemper. It sounded fantastic!

Guitar tone is a subjective quality. Please keep that in mind as you post here on our Virus forum.

Sacguy71 it’s true the Iridium and Quantum are incredible synths with a great touchscreen UI, but they still don’t have the level of polyphony or the multitimbral power of the Virus. That’s not to mention the 6 assignable outputs we’ve got on our TI’s and TI2’s.

Even so, it’s time for a new MacOS driver.

Maarten would you consider building an Auv3 plug-in version of your app? How great would it be to have real “TI” integration with iPad hosts like Cubasis and Camelot Pro!!!

Another request: Could you support the “Remote Templates” function of the TI range? I use my TI2 Desktop to control FabFilter plug-ins in Cubasis. I have to fire up my 2010 Mac to edit the templates. It would be truly amazing to do all of this entirely from my iPad!

Sacguy71 I use my Hapax to sequence my Virus TI2 Desktop.

Both are connected to an iConnectivity MioXM. The Hapax connects via the USB “device” port while the Virus goes through an iConnectivity Mio.

If your configuration is simpler, you could simply connect directly via MIDI DIN or USB. That said, Virus’ USB isn’t class compliant, which is why I use the Mio. It eliminates the problem completely. In my experience, I have fewer problems with older hardware designs when I interface via DIN MIDI. Why not just connect via DIN MIDI and see if you have issues? I suspect you’ll have problem with transmission speed unless you’re sequencing a large number of complex tracks.

I create a “multi” for each project, and the Hapax controls each patch directly. I’ve even had Hapax send program change messages to select the multi.

It’s a great pairing. I find it supports my creativity. Both are incredible, best-in-class pieces of gear.