Beiträge von mitchiemasha

USB 3, My motherboard has USB 3 ports. These ports are specialy labeled on the back. In the manual it shows these ports clearly routing through the NEC chip direct to the Northbridge, unlike the normal USB ports that connect direct to the Southbridge.

At first glance I thought wicked, I'll plug my virus into the USB 3 port. Simply because I wouldn't be using the other USB 3 port and they are backward compatible. After getting problems I checked my device manager/usb connections and My Virus TI was sharing bandwidth with my MIDISport. How could this be??? My MIDISport was plugged into a standard port. My virus should be going through the NEC chip Northbridge and the MIDISport Southbridge.

More studying of the block diagram in the manual and I discovered that I had 12 standard USB connections linked to the southbridge, 2 USB 3 connections linked to the northbridge (via NEC) but an actual of only 12 USB connections. This includes 4 from 2 internal headers. I'm guessing the rear USB 3 ports switch between the NEC chip/northbridge and the southbridge depending on what's connected.

Through a lot of Plug & Play, I discovered that I had 1 rear port that was shared with an internal USB header. I've left this internal header unused, this way I will know for sure my Virus will remain, ALWAYS on it's own connection.

Overall I'd say the way USB's share hubs etc are totaly not the obvious way they are grouped on the back, not just the USB 3's even the standard ports.

So, the Virus already is USB 3 compatible but that wont make a difference, lol.

I was understanding that the complaint here was over light patches even in stand alone mode causing crackless... The patches that have been brought to my attention by posts here I can get to crackle just like the complainent states. The fix for this, it worked for me, turn down the master volume. I then crank the volume on my mixer.

There is no 1 patch that makes my virus crackle when I turn down the master pot. I have a TI 1 latest beta. Other crackless I do get are from when I seriously overload my TI with patches and automation. I say serious after realising the virus can't realy handle it's own power to well. When I first discovered MR Crackles, I believed it to be my virus but infact it was my Old Pentium 4 3.0 ghz been maxed out by vst's. Just looking at my CPU meter shows me that. Back then I didn't know much.

I've just finished building a new pc, Phenom II quadcore 3.4. It's took me 2 weeks to fine tune, getting the mother board to run the ram at 1600 (wasn't default on the board) and raiding etc. I was getting crackless from my virus even if only used as a sound card running other vst's but no crackless when using the VC plugin. These where more like very slight tiny pops than crackles. It turned out to be the usb 3 controllers. I've solved the problem by using port number 5 (what i've named it). It's the only external port that shares itself with 2 internal ports and nothing else. Handy because I can just leave these internal ports unconnected, not using the daft rear pannel expansion thing. The board has 12 ports in total 4 internal, 8 external, divided in device manager, 3 connections on each 4 hubs then 6 connections on each 2 hubs when enhanced, plus 2 extra usb 3 ports. Heres the crazy thing, they are actualy only normal ports until you use a 3.0 device. You'd think the 2 labelled 3.0 usb ports on the back would be independent (that's why I used it for the virus at first, knowing I'd never use a USB 3.0 device). But, they share as a usb connection on 2 of the seperate 3x4 hubs until the Nec host is activated. I persume by plugging in a 3.0 device. The board only has 12 connections for the 14 available so the 3.0 usb ports, when 3.0 is activated go through the Nec chip pci express bus. When not 3.0 they act as a standard usb port and connect to the southbridge.

You can Imagine the headache (was actualy fun) I had finding the 1 port that wouldn't share so that when pluggin in devices to another port wouldn't change the host controller.

I've literally just learned all this so I could be very wrong, lol. But, I have no crackles under light testing, yet to do some serious damage. Oh! and I can max sylenth out to 512 note counts, thats all 4 osc set to 8 voices, 16 notes poly with both a & b release set to full, playing chords. Then duplicate the track 16 times before drop outs. I couldn't do this with 1 instance of sylenth with my old PC. No dropping the latency to cheat either.

If anyones interested my board is a Gigabyte Ga-790xta-ud4. Although I'm reading some bad reports on the marvel chip set, the sata 3 doesn't realy perform at sata 3 speeds.

Sorry for the long post and woffle, had loads of coffee... Night, night.x

Yes, the Virus TI and his good friend MR Crackles. I know him well.

Ok, I thought I'd mentioned this before so people would have tried it to solve this problem. but, it would seem it has been over looked...

TURN DOWN THE MASTER VOLUME POT ON THE VIRUS!!!

This will fix your stand alone crackle problem

I've just located chapel, its Rom b17 and played some chords. No problem. I played some cords with both hands. Hello Crackles. I turned down the master volume. Good bye Crackles. I believe the crackles you are hearing in stand alone mode arn't the crackles I'm used to struggerling with. The crackles I get from seriously overloading VC. These/your crackles I believe to be digital distortion. I noticed some time ago that I always get these out my left speaker (VC & SA) on some loud patches when at full out put volume. Turning down the volume removed them. Some patches have me setting my master at no more than half way, 12 o'clock.

I imagine that chapel distorts with the chords been played as all the sound waves are summing together eventualy bringing the Virus TI's output above the maximum.

When pressing down every key I got no MR Crackles.

I still cant believe turning down the master volume on the virus has been over looked as the solution to fix this problem.

Sounds like you've had a breakage there. Not an issue regarding whats happening here in this thread. Some times things just break regardless to it been expensive high quality or cheap tat. As for the crackless in this thread we could just except that some patches aren't going to work and are outside the scope of the Virus TI. Another point lets not forget that the Virus TI even without VC is better than the C.

It would be nice for virus to admit that the TI isn't as powerful as they make out, especial in VC. They should also makes some lil * point things making a note so people can see what to expect. Max polyphony only on init only patches.

Thank you. Just downloaded your links.

I'd heard about the odd and even parts a few months back and found that to be very useful. I think I mentioned my problem then in the thread too but never made a link.

So I wonder if the lfo is actualy changing speed due to lack of power or if it's just apears that way..

I tend to find I get this now when using lots of automation of the virus control, although it might not be the case. Possibly you weren't experiencing it before becasuse you weren't taking the virus to it's limits with modulation data been transfered.

I've just dicovered too that if I use the audio outs of my sound card as the out put routing and not my virus I can take it further than usual. Not that I like doing this because I get more noise from my sound card, even though it's an emu (think thats due to my wires).

Running Cubase 4.5.2, Latest Virus OS, TI 1...

Problem: LFO Changes it's perseved rate when adding more voices, load to Virus.

Download Project

I'm using LFO 3 set to max, Modulating Osc 1&2 Pitch at 50%. This creates a heavy detuned gaga lead on 1 square wave instead of using lots of unison detuned to achive the sound. I've got unison set to twin, 64 detune, 50% pan spread just to create some width. The idea is the modulation moves the pitch so fast that the key doesn't change but realy detunes your sound (best atempt at explaining).

When adding more patches/voices, load to the virus, lfo3 seems to slow down, although it's still set to max and i'm not touching/editing that part, making it's modulation of the pitch noticable, dropping the lead out of key as the lfo flows.

Can some one try the project on there virus, please. Would also be good for someone to try it on a ti 2 to see if theres a difference.

In the project there's a simple few bars loop and 6 voices. Virus voices only. Track one is the gaga lead with the other tracks just been the same notes, different voices of the original part. When you unmute the other parts you will notice the gaga lead start to behave incorrectly.

Any info or help here would be much loved.

Thank you

Hadn't heard about this until this thread. Couple of you tube vids later, I relised I'd wasted my time, don't like it.

Yeah it's cheaper, lots cheaper. Thats half the problem. I was expecting to see something in the £1000 range not that cheap thing. It doesn't even come close in features, control etc.

People who buy that will still dream of owning a virus.

The simple answer would be to say the virus ti

What makes the Virus better than the top VSTi plugins?

The simple answer would be to say the virus TI combines the best of both............... Hardware v Vst... why have the battle? when you buy the TI you have both.