Beiträge von inkajoo

Hello,

Forgive me I don't really know how the TI works with computers. When I power on my Virus TI, about half of the time, even if there is nothing connected to USB, it starts up in a mode where I can't change presets or use Multi mode. Rebooting the Virus always sets things right 100% of the time.

I'm wondering if this is related to my inability to get the official software to connect via USB, so I just wanted to see if others more knowledgeable than me think the USB port might be bad, which is what I think. I'm about to open it up to make a couple simple repairs and might replace the USB port while I'm at it. Would be awesome to know for sure what's up. Thank you in advance!

I think I get what you're saying but I tested it out and it doesn't affect the layering feature. It was a good idea though...

Think I'm just going to go with what the manual says and assume it was a feature regression that they didn't catch. There's no way it was never tested in the Virus's whole lifetime.

It would be nice to find an OS version where the Transpose and Keyboard to MIDI settings work the way I'd like.

I found that the MIDI Channel setting affects what channel the keyboard transmits when that part is selected (and any other parts that share same channel setting). Of course it only applies to MULTI mode not SINGLE mode which transmits on the Global channel.

I guess the conclusion is that the feature is sadly half baked as the Keyboard to MIDI setting doesn't seem to do anything and the Transpose setting only affects the sound engine not outgoing MIDI. It's not a show stopper but I think it hints at the developers' ambitions with the Virus TI Keyboard. Perhaps they abandoned the idea with the TI2 and that's why the setting isn't mentioned.

Thanks. I wish instead knobs could be temporarily set to not affect the value while being turned, so it didn't have to be an all-or-nothing global setting. I need to avoid unwanted value jumping sometimes but sometimes I don't care and would rather it jump to wherever the knob is physically pointing.

Where's the misunderstanding? You just described exactly why I said it's meant to be used as a MIDI controller. :D 

And I'm not sure if you meant that Part Enable controls whether or not the part is controlled by the built-in keyboard, but it does.

The MIDI output can't be transposed on a per-part basis so splitting up the keyboard to control drum machines together with external chromatic synths is limited if you can't change the drum machine's note mapping.

I should point out that using the DAW for this purpose is more flexible but introduces quite a bit of latency. (Can't have it all.)

Was just about to post about this but tried searching first ... Keyboard to MIDI as far as I can tell from the manual is supposed to disable MIDI output of a part but it doesn't appear to be implemented. MIDI is always output regardless of the setting.

My workaround is to assign these parts to unused channels. Since my MIDI interface is set not to send any events from the Virus back to the Virus, I can freely use the Virus Keyboard as both a controller and a self-contained synth, as I originally bought it to do.

It would be preferable if Keyboard to MIDI worked, but this is has one plus side in that it's simpler to understand.

Right, I get that that is its primary function, but it clearly was also meant to be used as a MIDI controller since it lets you disable control of the internal sound engine on a per-part basis. That bit is a bit underdeveloped in the area I'm talking about. (I have the keyboard version btw.)

Anyway I'm working on an Ableton template to take care of the routing instead. This will give me more flexibility to control all my sound modules.

You can create "splits" where sections of the keyboard, assigned to different parts, don't trigger the synth engine. But it seems to be impossible to transpose the outgoing note pitches on a per-part basis. This makes it much less feasible for including in splits things like drum machines and GM sound modules, where the range of keys for triggering drums is fixed. (In contrast with melodic external sounds, which can usually be transposed to "compensate".)

Contrary to what the manual indicates, it seems that Virus TI (not 2) doesn't implement voice stealing very well if at all. Voice stealing meaning when the oldest notes are stopped prematurely to allow new notes to play. Instead when playing a pad with unison at 5 voices and a slow release and you play too many chords too quickly, some notes will simply not play.

(And I've already brought in osc 2 and reduced the unison to 3 to solve the issue, just pointing out that the behavior is not what I expected.)

Sorry to contradict, but I think whether the envelopes are linear or not is verifiable. If you put an LFO in envelope mode with saw shape affecting pitch, it is not possible to get kicks with any percussiveness at all without setting the rate very high ... but if you change the curve to be 100% concave, you have a much wider range of rates that sound percussive.

The envelopes are higher resolution therefore they sound better than LFO in env mode but they must have a curve - which I would assume is exponential - otherwise it would be impossible to make good percussive sounds with them.

Said from years of sound design experience.