Beiträge von shnex

Hey creap

first off, That was very interesting what you where talking about, the delay compensation system you use, very smart indeed, never knew that existed but it sounds very useful for people not using Protools HD.

Second, I am soooo with you about Protools/Avid. I have M-powered, and that's even more limiting than LE (no bloody complete toolkit, bastards)

Finally, I understand it's frustrating to end up with a DAW that doesn't perfectly fit your purpose, and I wouldn't even think about programming Midi with Protools. I feel it's just not made for that, while I don't really like using anything else for audio (especially in post-production).

But may I suggest Logic 9?

Although you may not be able to use the control surface functions of the 003 (and you never know, some clever geek might have figured a way to translate the Didi control interface to be used by other DAWs), you can still use it as an audio interface, and a rather good one at that... The added bonus is that you'll be able to use the Virus TI plugin (which works nicely with Logic).

Then you can just bounce everything and mix in protools if you prefer (I know I do)

I'm sure you can find a good deal on a full copy of Logic 9 somewhere... ;)

Well, I looked into AUVal (as I am on Mac) and can't even begin to figure it out... Can't really find any resources on the net either...
    Anyone ever done that with the Virus Control?
    If so, a step by step guide would be very welcome!

As sometimes I like to spend time creating new sounds and patches, but can't be bothered to make music, it would be nice to be able to use VC without launching the sequencer...Actually come to think of it, it seems so obvious, I wonder if their isn't a way to do this already....

Hi there!

I'm surprised no ones answered you yet...

Anyway, I don't know about Fruity Loops, but all Virus TIs can work without USB and with Midi. So as long as your DAW can output Midi to the outside world (besides Reason, I think pretty much all of them do), you'll be able to control your Virus via Midi.
    But you will need a Midi interface to make the link between your computer and the Virus (don't worry, they're rather cheap nowadays) and these connect on a USB port.

By Card, I assume you mean Audio Interface/sound card.
    This is a very open question, with many opinions, so I won't get into it. To be honest, there are plenty of resources on the internet, one of them being Sound On Sound Magazine online. All articles over 1 year old are free to browse, so it's worth having a look there. But it's certainly not the only place! in this situation, Google is your friend!

Finally, the question as to what desktop you need is even more open-ended, and I don't even want to start getting into the whole Mac Vs PC thing. The computer you need really depends on what you want to do, what your budget is, what your level in music writing is, are you planning on making music for a living, blah blah blah.

If you wan to give me a few more details, I'd be glad to narrow your options down for you.

Hey Marc,

Thanks for your reply, but I was wondering if you could elaborate you answer at all.
    I've had a look on the manual, and can't find anything about this whole "the direct button trades accuracy with latency"...
    Maybe it's in one of the VC Videos?
    Also, if my idea is not feasible, is there anyway to make sure the virus doesn't send ANY audio to the computer and outputs the audio directly.
    I'd like to use the Virus basically like a normal Midi Synth, but keep using the great Virus Control software...
    Is there a way to do this?
    All the best!

Hi,
    Before I start, I just want to say that my Virus TI is currently away for repair in Germany, and I therefore can't answer some of the silly questions I'm gonna ask.

A N Y W A Y, a bit of background:

I've had my Virus TI for a few years, and after a few early "clunky" months, the Virus Control and TI settled comfortably in my setup :)

But since then, I've added a Firewire Sound Card (M-Audio projectMix) and as it happens my computer's 2 firewire ports share the same Bus, which means some of my IMac's precious USB bandwidth is now shared with an Audio Hard Drive. (please don't tell me to add a PCI USB card, as an IMac doesn't have slots for that)

The issue I have is that now, things don't run as smoothly as they used to, with dropouts and Sync Issues from the Virus :(

The thing is, as I understand it, choosing the Analogue out for a Part on Virus Control only makes latency problems worst, as the Audio is sent from the Virus, into the computer, and then back out of the computer into the Virus, essentially doubling the original latency one gets from selecting the USB outs X( (if I'm wrong about this reasoning let me know, by the way)

Now, once again, as I understand it, using the D button (direct Out) located next to each part on VC bypasses the whole computer/USB journey by sending the audio straight out of the Virus, and, oh Joy!, no more latency. 8)

BUT!!!! my question is, is it possible to use Direct Out on multiple parts at the same time?

I would be more than happy to use my Virus like that while writing (hence monitoring all the parts out of the Virus via SPDIF into my mixing desk) and recording down each individual parts when I'm ready to mix.

Is that possible? Does that even make sense? ?(

I mean, when my virus used to work fine, I still only ever used one single USB stereo output and always left the DAW channel it was on to zero, essentially doing a premix using the effects, pan and level controls on the virus rather than extra plugins.

I feel this could be the answer to all my problems, that is if what I've been writing isn't a load of driveling nonsense.

I'd like to add a question to this thread:

Which output of the virus does the SPDIF out carry? Is it just a copy of out 1&2?
    Or can you assign it to be a copy of any of the analogue outs? Or (finally) is it an other stereo output altogether?

Also, as I'm not fussed about using plugins over my virus parts while composing, is it possible to use the direct out function on multiple parts?
    I would check for myself but my Virus is away for repair...

I was thinking, seeing as a few people seem to have sync issues, and having read the thread with the request to limit VC to 8 parts instead of 16 to save processing power, that a feature I could really really use is the ability to disable some features altogether if I find I never use them.
    Imagine it a bit like the feature in protools that allows you to totally disable and hide a track to preserve CPU.
    I understand it sounds like a step back, but I personally have an IMac with 3 USB ports which, as far as I can tell, are all connected to the same bus, and nothing I can do about it. But there are things I hardly ever use on the Virus TI, such as the Atomizer. Also I don't think I've ever used more than 8 parts at any one time, and they all always went through USB Out 1.
    Anyway, before I start rambling on and to sum up, if possible a feature that lets the user optimize the system by disabling various features of the TI.
    Cheers

p.s.: thanks for the Virus TI and permanent top notch support and updates.