Beiträge von creap

When using the VC in ableton live. If I search for a patch by typing in something into the search box it will look it up. Now if I want to cancel the search (by selecting the text and deleting it) and lets say just bring up organs using the categories I cant. The VC now tries to find all organs with the empty string "". I can still load up all patches by selecting the appropriate ram/rom slot in the drop down menu, but if I ever try to use categories again in the VC it is empty string. When I restart the project it fixes that, but it is really annoying. :(

Does the virus have a preferred sampling rate? I am using ableton live, and when I have it set to 48khz with 512 buffer size the virus auto compensates correctly within live. When I bump to 96khz though the virus has a latency that's different than what the auto compensation is, roughly -45 ms extra need to be added to the channel. Its not a huge deal, I just didnt know if the virus only output like 48khz sampled audio and then I would just lock sampling rate to that.

So I have posted many times about all the issues I have with the virus. It seems like all I have had is problems. I was using pro tools.....that was the problem. I have since started using Ableton Live, and a firestudio and let me just say, I could not be more pleased. The virus is in sync, no crackling, no popping, no pitch bend issues, no UI issues. I love it...for the first time I can finally start using this thing how it was intended to be used.

All I use pro tools now for is multitrack recording, which is really what it was designed for, not sequencing.

:thumbup:

But without live mode, I get non synced arps, clicks and pops and a whole host of problems. I simply CANNOT record the virus in pro tools LE without live mode. Honestly the most stable solution for me is to just use midi cables and audio out. I get perfect sync and no audio distortion at all. I hate this approach because I like to have patches reload with a project and I like the easy to use interface. Obviously the virus uses some different clock features when running on midi vs running off usb.

Every day I question why I went with pro tools and spent all this money on a 003 factory setup when I could have just got a nice firewire interface and some universal controller and used whatever DAW I wanted. My frustration with PT aside, I just want to make music, and the virus (among other things) fights me every step of the way.

I use mellowmuse ATA. While its not an AUTOMATIC delay compensation, in my opinion it does basically the same thing but more accurately. It sends a ping over the audio channel and measures the response time and then automatically delays the tracks to fit in time with whatever they need to be. It is also nice because it can compensate for any outboard gear you may be using, like a compressor or effects rack unit. Change some settings, just ping again and it automatically adjusts. This does not work on the virus since the virus is not a plug in where audio passes through it. Most of my VI's have near zero latency so I dont really need to compensate them, unless I am compensating them against a channel with alot of effects on it, but then ATA can do that for me.

Dont get me wrong, I wish digidesign and avid would wake up and fix all the stupid restrictions on PT LE, like no ADC. But I still argue that ADC is not a universal fix since ADC depends on plug-ins reporting delay correctly (which they dont always do).

Like I said, in Live mode PT reads the delay from the virus plug in as 522 samples....which is way off. I don't know if that reporting would change in PT HD.

I dont care that I have to set a midi offset, Everything has synced OK so far, but now all of a sudden my latency has changed, and I haven't really changed anything. I do still get weird pitch bend glitches and clicks and other fun stuff from time to time, I just dont think the virus was made for PT LE. I really need to experiment some more with heavy layered tracks on the virus and see what happens.

Thats not the point, I have automatic delay compensation plug ins, but the difference here is this. My virus is ALWAYS in Live mode, and the delay changed. When at first it was in time with 1370 offset, after awhile an offset of 0 kept it in time. It is still in Live mode, so why has the timing changed?

I am also curious, since auto delay comp depends on plug in reporting, pro tools reports the delay of the virus in live mode as 522 samples, which is incorrect, so how would that really help me?

Using Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE on mac os 10.5.8. I have tried using audio delay compensation and just settled on using a midi offset. I just don't understand why all of a sudden the delay would change on the virus. I added another patch to the virus but it is only actually playing one patch, so its not like i overloaded it or anything.

This isnt as much of a problem as a general question. I am running the os4 beta and I have been working on a track. I run the audio to the analog outputs and put the virus in live mode. Now, there was always a latency adjustment to be made doing this. To be exact I had to offset my midi notes by +1370 samples. I tried to play the track recently and the offset was no longer needed. Live mode basically put me right at 0 samples offset. Was this adjusted in os4 release? I assume the offset should always be the same regardless of how many channels have a patch loaded in, or how many plug ins I am using in my host.

I am trying pro tools on windows and the virus is not showing up in my pro tools instruments. I am on win7 64 bit.

ALso I am getting a The installed drivers do not match the version required by the Virus Control Center. when I try to launch Virus Control Center. I installed from the new 4.0 x64 package.

arp timing as much as everything else very much benefits from delay compensation. in fact, without, you will _never_ get a good timing with the virus ti or any other plug-in reporting a latency which needs to be compensated by the host.

marc

I just wanted to comment briefly on this. My problem with arps is not really something to do with musical timing. When I say that, I mean, I have already compensated for latency in protools either using midi offsets or a delay compensation plugin or both. The arps start where I want them to start, but they seem to have a hard time staying on a consistent tempo once they do start. They are not syncing to the internal virus clock over usb. This behavior is not present over midi. No amount of automatic delay compensation inside my recording interface can fix something that seems to be happening inside the virus itself. None of my soft synths have problems with arps, none of my harware synths with usb for midi have problems with arps....only the virus ti.

Again I want to point out, that while I seem to be bashing the virus a bit, I still love this thing, it makes great sounds. I just wish I could enjoy it the way I had envisioned; as a total integration hassle free box, and with every new problem I uncover for myself, that dream drifts a little further away.

Here is a link to a screen capture I took of my pro tools automation issue.

http://www.shatteredeye.com/protools/virus-automation.mov

Here is the problem. I set a parameter in the plug in to automate (in this case cutoff on filter 1 on channel 1). I write enable the track and I twiddle the knob. The first time in a session it WILL write this automation. Lets say I dont like it so I want to write over it. I write enable the track again and twiddle the knob. This time however it will only record the STARTING position, and nothing else. When you push stop it will record the end position, so you get a very gentle slope. If you delete the points or the automation entirely and try to write again it will do this. In the video all three times I was just randomly turning the knob on the TI.

Wow, I am so stupid. After returning to my project I realized the offending channel was set to USB out, while the other channel was set to out 1+2. Clearly this would cause an offset in the latency. However I still have a problem with sample accuracy. Without live mode, arps have no chance to sync, I get cracks and pops, I get weird pitch shift stuff. With live mode on, I get varrying timing. I tried to add some photos to illustrate this.

The second note in a 4 note series.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.shatteredeye.com/protools/2.png]

The fourth note in the series. These are the same notes with the same midi offset.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.shatteredeye.com/protools/3.png]

notice the position of the audio in relevance to the midi note.

It is not a huge amount of change, but this change doesn't happen with midi cables.

AND I still cannot update to anything above 3.1

Here is a fun one. If i set a midi offset to compensate for the latency on channel 1 it works and is in time (somewhat). If I load a second channel with a patch and some midi data with the same offset, the audio is out of time for that channel. YAY!

There is obviously latency using the virus over usb (and over midi). That's fine, alot of synths have some latency involved. SO I set an offset. I punched in a bunch of midi notes and turned the metronome on and, it is on tempo....for a bit...then it gets slightly off tempo, then fixes itself, then slightly off tempo then back on. It fluctuates a bit. I do NOT get this over midi cables. I put in my midi offset, and regardless of patch or anything it is on tempo. Any time I use the virus with usb I fight and fight with setting up correct midi offsets so everything plays nice. If you use live mode then that has a different offset than non live mode (I understand why), but it just becomes somewhat of a hassle to constantly change the midi offsets.

Now my midi problem I have posted before. In any version of the os above 3.1 in usb mode, channel 1, plays ALL the channels ontop of each other. The other 2-16 midi channels dont make any sound (even though the midi input bounces in the virus control). It doesn't matter what output I use.