Beiträge von prophonic

Thanks to the patchbay matrix i am getting intrigued by the idea to use the Virus TI as a self-contained modular system with the bonus of everything being recallable and controllers changing many parameters on the fly, as if you had 4 hands tweaking on a modular.

My question is, where in the signal flow are the distortion pedals and the character module located ? I assume after the vca.
    Would it be feasible to make them available right after the oscillators (before the filter) as an option ?

Zitat

you're right and by this definition we are company which you can be proud of. we've released a gazillion of free feature updates in the last 8 years. everything from additional oscillators to filters to effects.
    i know a fair share of companies who would have released a new hardware and made the additional features only work on the new revision.
    best, marc

This is undisputed and to my knowledge no other modern synth is still available today in its original concept plus add-ons over the years this concept has given birth to.
    The question to you Marc is, will you guys honor the 2015 anniversary by giving the Virus TI a final spectacular OS update adequate for this occasion ?

I second both requests, although i assume mute13 is talking about Filter FM with Oscillators being the source.
    Alternatively making the LFO at least a tiny bit faster, so that they reach a bit more into audio range.
    The Virus would be closer to a P5 than Dave Smith's current iterations P8 and P12.

I find it interesting that many or even most people here ask for patches of classic machines from the 80s. Those sounds have a place in modern productions too, so Filter FM should really help and would be a worthy add-on just in time for the 10th anniversary of the Virus TI family.

Thanks.

...and so we have come full circle.

To summarize, filter fm is technically possible in digital synths with limited dsp resources and a limited clock rate, it has been done in hard and software for around 10 years with processing power of that time.
    Since FM has been implemented in the Virus at least for one Oscillator, i have faith in Christoph's and Marc's programming skills that they would be able to find a way to implement that for Filter FM as well.

Aliasing in FM ? Bring it, the DX7 sounds great for its quirks as much as for its features. I mean, FM in the prophet doesn't sound exactly crystal clear either.

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense, but then again the Virus has frequency modulation, at least for one Osc. So don't you think it should be possible to have that Osc appear under modulation sources as well ?

Also, it's a bit hard to acknowledge that 10 year old software plugs like Pro-Five/52/53 or the Arturia plug can do something that the Virus can not. I am sure they are aliasing in higher registers, but i would rather have that than nothing.

To complete your list of digital hardware synths, the Sonic Core Pro-12 has filter fm as well.

Make sure, Ableton is re-scanning the plugin folder (preferences/file & folder - under plug-in sources there is a button called rescan). If that doesn't help, switch the button for "use VST Plug-In System Folders" to off and then back to on.

Good luck.

There are plenty of controller sources for the matrix modulation, some rather exotic ones like Data Entry, Random, or the KeyAna Course and Fine, which is great, yet some of those are probably not that often used.

I was wondering if there is a technical reason why something like VCO 1 and 2 frequency are no legitimate modulation sources. On a modular system VCOs would obviously be the most used mod sources besides envelopes and LFOs.
    An LFO is not really helpful when you want to use a frequency higher than 100Hz and making the frequency change depending on Key Follow. So it would be good to know is there a technical hurdle which can not be overcome ?

Especially since the structure of the signal flow and the whole layout of potentiometers and of course the filter "sound" are so ideal for making Prophet-5 type sounds, i would say no other VA would be as perfect for recreating classic P5 patches !
    For that and especially to recreate the Prophet Polymod, the only things missing are Oscillators as mod sources and Filter FM as destination.

By the way, having Filt Cutoff 1+2 as a combined destination, very much like Osc Pitch 1+2 and Osc Pulse 1+2 on the LFO page would be helpful.

Thanks.