Beiträge von dysamoria

Continuing to SELL it with the same marketing that's no longer true is supposed to be illegal, though...

Just got word from a reseller that the Access Virus TI has been officially discontinued. It looks like we won't be getting the update we've been waiting for, which is a real disappointment. I'm not quite sure why Access is being less than transparent about this—maybe they're trying to move the remaining stock sell

Not remotely surprised.

EDIT: I've basically assumed that my Virus TI is just a piece of NON-Totally-Integrated hardware for years now. I can always connect it to an older Mac, if I want that plugin for editing, until they die too... I hate the tech industry, and the music tech segment isn't far behind in terms of utterly disgraceful behavior. I refuse to buy hardware anymore if it requires drivers or a computer to do anything at all. I've been screwed too many times to believe any "integration" or "upgrade path" nonsense.

To be honest, most synth companies have poor support especially Roland and Korg so Access Kemper is not alone in bad customer service and lack of support. But at least Roland keeps their hardware updated with new software OS versions on Mac and PC Windows.

All they want to do is sell a new product to you every year/quarter/etc. Existing products will never be maintained beyond a year or two. This is a fundamentally wasteful and abusive trait of laissez-faire capitalism.

Several of these companies could probably FUND the development of new drivers via the existing users paying a minor/moderate fee, but that doesn't get the big dollars they want on the BUSINESS GROWTH end of their companies' public face. So it's always make the next thing and sell that, hopefully to people who aren't so burned on prior abandoned products... unless there's an infinite source of new customers to pick from...

Should the Virus TI2 keyboard still be able to function as a midi controller on Ventura? I'm trying to use it on a MacBook Pro but it doesn't even show up in Audio Midi Setup and it does not trigger any sound in Logic Pro. I have it connected via USB to USB-c adapter. Is there a driver to install or something? I thought usb/midi was just plug and play.

I don't know the answer, but the language of the question is this: "Is the Virus TI USB Class Compliant for MIDI?" It sounds like the answer is no, but it hasn't come up for me before (it will, very soon). Luckily, you can get a very inexpensive class compliant USB-MIID interface that you can connect between the Virus TI's MIDI ports and your computer's USB ports. No drivers needed ("class compliance" means the device complies with generic drivers for this function in the OS). Example: Edirol/Roland UM-1. It's compact enough that it looks like a cable adapter.

Thanks, I was hoping it was old news I read... I will look for that plugin...

How do you update then?

You don't. The message from Apple's OS implies that there is an update, but Access has not released one to users (though the USB chipset driver was delivered to them by the company that makes that chipset driver).

I wrote to the driver developer company with the following:

Zitat

"When will Access Virus TI get Mac OS Catalina, Mac OS 11+ and Apple Silicon support?

The developers at Access Music seemingly vanished from the web in late 2019, after stating that they’re waiting for your company to update the USB drivers for Mac OS Catalina and beyond. So, what’s up with that?"

Someone there replied to my inquiry with:

Zitat

"Well, they got the Catalina update shortly after… ;-)"

I asked:

Zitat

"why haven't Access released it to users?"

and he replied:

Zitat

"The driver is only a small part of the TI software."

🤷🏽‍♂️

Still nothing from Access, but the third-party success is making them look even worse… I’m eager to try out the MI solution when I get to a new machine. I’ve been stuck on an old iMac for a long time now and it’s painful to be stuck in old software, even as I lament the loss of software and drivers for hardware in abandoned products like so many that I own…

There are Change Log links on Virus TI system version downloads, but they all just go to the download package, not a change log. Also, the current Mac OS X Beta doesn't even have a change log listed (correctly or not). It would be nice to know what's in each of these versions, especially the betas.