Beiträge von SOS

Ace 17,

I have and do run the Virus through the "synth" port with no VC and the latency is fantastic (totally unnoticeable). It's only when I load VC that input latency becomes a problem, which I don't totally understand if I'm using the analog outs. Marc?

Your patch management system does indeed look useful.

Ace17,

Thanks again for taking the time to try and think up a solution, but unfortunately this method shows no improvement either as this is how I already use VC multitimbraly.

My DAW is Live 8 running on a 32 bit Windows 7 setup. I'd be very interested in your patch manager should you decide to port it to vst.

Ace17,

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately it seems that VC disables the "synth" and "midi" ports (I just tried it).

Marc, any suggestions/opinion?

Greetings fellow Virus users.

I've been meaning to post on this subject for some time now (I've been using the TI since 2006), but have been waiting to see how things pan out with updates and such. My issue is with latency in VC. I am not referring to playback latency, which is pretty much flawless through usb with the live button off, but rather the latency experienced during actual playing (input). While the live button certainly improves things, it is not the most elegant solution as previously recorded parts (midi) will fall out of sync with the sequencer as you record each new one. Turning the live button off makes it virtually impossible to play anything above a quarter note on time.

While I have seen many users say that they have setups with manageable latencies, I also get the feeling that a lot of musicians draw their notes into a piano roll. Although I'm not really much of a keyboard player, this is simply not an option I want to pursue. Lately I have been using the Virus like a traditional synthesizer (midi), but miss the obvious programming and recall benefits of VC. I also get the sense (from years of music forum lurking) that many (most?) users that play parts into their sequencers are using the TI through midi rather than with VC (although I could of course be wrong).

What I don't totally understand is, if a user does not need to use the TI as a soundcard or has the option to use the analog outs, why does VC need to handle audio at all? I have an editor for my Pulse by reKon audio (http://www.rekonaudio.com/) that functions as a vst patch editor, but since it doesn't handle audio there is no noticeable latency introduced. I have even considered downgrading to a Virus C and just using a similar editor but I don't want to part with the hypersaws, polyphony, and new distortion algorithms.

I have seen various requests over the years (between this forum and infekted) requesting a patch editor for the TI, but Access seems unwilling to consider this as an option.

So to get to the point: Isn't there any way that a simple bypass VC's handling of audio button could be added? This in no way compromises the total integration concept (which I assume is the reason Access continues to resist a patch editor). It will also not impede users that choose to use the TI as a soundcard and/or usb outs. Is there some sort of technical issue that forces VC handle audio? Even the analog outs suffer the same latency when using VC.

While I totally understand that standard midi timing introduces latency (to address the argument that VC's handling of audio allows for sample accurate playback), at least I can still play sixteenth notes!