Posts by boreg

Check out the ValhallaDSP line of plugins. The all have fully functional demos, and cost only 50$ each. I've got all of them and have nothing but praise to say about them.

• Valhalla Shimmer - reverb with pitch shifter in feedback path (inspired by Eventide). Ambient heaven!
    • Valhalla UberMod - multitap delay that becomes chorus, flanger or even reverb, depending on settings. Very unique design.
    • Valhalla VintageVerb - extremely versatile and good-sounding reverb inspired by HW processors (Lexicon and such)
    • Valhalla Room - another useful and versatile reverb, perhaps with less "character" than VintageVerb. It does not emulate quirks of hardware, rather it is based on an "idealized" model.

hope this helps 8)

Yes, I happen to own both Virus TI and Eventide Space. While the FX on the Virus are very good, and generally regarded as some of the best among built-in synth FX, the Eventide is really in a league of its own. It just sounds classy and expensive. Besides, the overlap with the Virus in terms of features is quite small - the Virus will never give you these long (or infinite even!) trippy modulated reverb tails, or a spring reverb, or reverb with pitchshifter in feedback path ("shimmer").

So, in a nutshell - yes, if you're into ambient, and have the budget, go for Space, you won't be disappointed :thumbup:

A small tip: if you connect one of the Virus' sub outputs to the Eventide's input, the "Surround pan" feature of the Virus effectively gives you a dry/wet mix control for all Multi parts.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, but your request doesn't make sense. 'Phase' usually refers to position relative to the full period (180 - half period, 90 - quarter etc) and is used in context of periodic signals. That's why "LFO starting phase" is meaningful - LFO is a periodic signal. But how do you define "phase" for an arbitrary matrix slot, when it could be ENV4 whose attack is modulated by modwheel?

@Global_I, thank you for clarification.

I thought Ctrlr is pretty stable by now, and frequent releases are mostly feature additions and bugfixes. Of course changes that break existing panels are a great way to discourage panel developers! It's a shame really because I think this project has a lot of potential.

One thing I didn't quite understand in your post - did you mean the VST version of your Virus panel never worked, only the standalone did?

Sorry mate, my previous post is wrong.
    Correction: Virus' USB connection appears as MIDI device called "Virus TI Synth" (at least, that's how it is on Windows). As long as no program has this device open, Virus works over MIDI. If I open Reaper and enable output to "Virus TI Synth", it establishes a USB connection with the Virus, disabling normal MIDI.

I'm not sure about Macs, maybe there's some background process that keeps USB-MIDI connection with the Virus open?

I dunno man, I keep the USB plugged in permanently and even with my PC on, Virus plays fine as a standalone (MIDI in, audio out). Only when I open the Virus Control in my DAW, USB takes over the MIDI input (the display on Virus shows "USB" to indicate that). Maybe it's different for Macs?

We can try and troubleshoot your setup together, but you need to provide more details - first, do you have a keyboard Virus, or a desktop + MIDI controller?

You can assign any envelope to pitch, but you can't make anything depend on note length - because it's only known after the note has ended.

Or in other words: the synth can't know in advance how long the note is going to be.

As for your first question, I'm afraid "constant time" portamento is not available on Virus (it's "constant rate" only).
    Regarding the second question, check out "Key mode" parameter in the oscillator section. What you're after is the "legato" portamento, namely Mode 2 or 4.

[Blocked Image: ]

(tip: on the hardware, you can press Shift+Mono to quickly change the key mode).

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense, but then again the Virus has frequency modulation, at least for one Osc. So don't you think it should be possible to have that Osc appear under modulation sources as well ?

Apparently, oscillator FM is implemented differently, that is, not via the modulation bus. And in any case, it has tons of aliasing ;)

Also, it's a bit hard to acknowledge that 10 year old software plugs like Pro-Five/52/53 or the Arturia plug can do something that the Virus can not. I am sure they are aliasing in higher registers, but i would rather have that than nothing.

Well I suppose the folks at Arturia were modelling a specific instrument and thus focused their development efforts on that.

To complete your list of digital hardware synths, the Sonic Core Pro-12 has filter fm as well.

Even the 500$ Blofeld has filter FM, but still, it doesn't have oscillator as a freely assignable modulation source.
    Besides, modulation rate on the Blofeld is indeed much higher than on Virus (e.g. the LFOs go to kHz range, vs ~30 Hz on the Virus).

I was wondering if there is a technical reason why something like VCO 1 and 2 frequency are no legitimate modulation sources. On a modular system VCOs would obviously be the most used mod sources besides envelopes and LFOs.

The technical reason is very simple: CPU power. On most digital synths, modulation is updated at a much slower rate than audio (the LFOs on Virus go up to ~30 Hz if I'm not mistaken, so this should give you a ballpark figure). So, making audio-rate modulation possible would take two orders of magnitude more CPU power (and probably major redesign of the synth engine as well). Besides, you'd probably have to oversample (process everything at a higher rate than output audio), or the result will be full of nasty digital artifacts (aliasing) and basically unusable. The only hardware digital synth that I know of that allows full audio-rate modulation is John Bowen Solaris, and it's internal processing is done at 96 kHz.

On another note, there's nothing exotic about Data Entry, it's just MIDI controller #6 - I use it all the time (assigned to expression pedal).

Indeed, the soft knobs on the Virus will only affect the current part. But any MIDI CC you assign will affect all parts on the same MIDI channel. Mod wheel is just a special case (MIDI CC 1), you also have Data Entry (MIDI CC 6) as well as CC 3,5,9,11,13 etc.

Hope this helps.

I've read somewhere that Virus TI has two processors, one is responsible for the odd-numbered parts (1,3,5,7,...) and one for the even-numbered. So, what you describe sounds like one of the CPUs isn't working.

But the correct answer is of course: contact Access support!