Beiträge von boreg

I believe this is by design.
    Problem is, the envelopes are per-note, while effects are global per patch.
    So, if you have 10 notes going at once, how would you apply the modulation?

You might say "but why doesn't it work for monophonic patches, at least?". That's a good question :P
    Apparently, Access programmers decided it's more trouble than it's worth.

But there's a workaround! You can use LFO1 or 2 in ENV mode. You might also need to set it to "mono" mode, but I'm pretty sure it should work.

Basically, it's a simple saw oscillator into distortion. The right kind and amount of distortion is crucial for the "ripping" feel.
    Phaser also goes very well with such sounds. A nice trick is to use the phaser in "static" mode (LFO rate = 0) and adjust phaser frequency for desired tone.

I can post the patch - need to remember to do it when I'm home; if I forget, feel free to remind me :D

Hi Virus folks,

I'm trying to create this popular psytance sound on a Virus TI, and I exhausted all ideas .
    Example: http://www.sendspace.com/file/w7ds1m
    The delay and modulated hipass filter are obvious, but I can't figure out this speeding up 'scratchy' thing.
    Tried LFO modulating osc volume, patch volume, filters.
    Tried to sweep pitch of OSC1 modulating OSC2 - FM, PhaseMod, RingMod.
    Always end up with nasty digital mush, nothing comes close to this crisp scratchiness.
    Is Virus capable of such sounds at all?
    And if not - what synth is it, then? And how is it done, generally?

Really, it depends on what you're doing live.
    The Snow is indeed compact and cute, but from what I've read about it (haven't played one in person), is not well suited for live tweaking. You may get by if you program everything beforehand, and map everything you'll be tweaking to soft knobs or MIDI CC. For me, the knobbiness of a full Virus (I have a TI desktop) is one of its main strengths. I mean, filter envelope, amp envelope, cutoff, resonance, delay, reverb etc. - it's all right there ready to be tweaked at any moment.

I'd say, if you can afford a desktop Virus, go for it!

For digital audio it is important that the devices are synchronized. One device (the master) sends the clock, and the other (slave) syncs to it. In practice this means that you connect them both ways (Virus S/PDIF output to Ultralite input, Ultralite S/PDIF output to Virus input), and in Virus' Config menu, set Audio Clock=Auto or External.
    BUT
    I also have an Ultralite Mk3, and tried exactly this, and had to give up :( . The Virus would display 'Clock problem at S/PDIF input', and the sound had audible artifacts, indicating that it didn't sync properly.
    Now I don't know if it's the MOTU clock that's bad (no idea how to test it even!), or the Virus cannot slave properly (in which case, why provide this option at all?). The artifacts were gone when Virus was the clock master, but then the Ultralite doesn't work unless the Virus is on.

The artifacts are easily heard on a single oscillator sine wave patch (open INIT patch, set balance to -100 and OSC1 wave to sine). Does it sound clean :thumbup: or distorted :thumbdown: ?
    Please let me know how it works out for you!

P.S. Get a DV (digital video) cable, it should be fine for digital audio too.

Thanks mate! I've browsed your code, and it looks very clean and easy to follow.
    A couple of questions:

• How do I download the source from the launchpad site? I found the links to download individual files, but is there an option to get them all at once?
    • Could you give me some tips on sending/receiving MIDI from VST plugin? I know, I should dive into VST documentation, but even the names of relevant functions would be a great boost to me.

best regards,
    Boris.

EDIT: Regarding my second question, it seems I need to implement processEvents() and possibly sendVstEventsToHost().
    Still, any tips will be greatly appreciated.

I think TI is the best bang for the buck.
    The 250€ difference between the Snow and the TI gives you
    - 2x more DSP power
    - 4x more multitimbral parts
    - 3x more outputs (allowing you to route a sub-output to an input for additional processing - not possible with the Snow at all)
    - usable hardware interface with lots of knobs.
    On the other hand, the 500€ difference between the TI and TI2 gives you
    - 25% more dsp power
    - sleekier design
    So, if you can afford the TI, go for it! 8)

The problem is many DAW don't implement sysex part of VST : for example, FL Studio VST implementation only allows sysex sending, and energyXT's allows neither sending nor receiving :thumbdown:

Yes, I'm aware of that. IIRC, Ableton Live also has a problem with plugins sending sysex.
    Anyway, my DAW is Reaper which handles sysex just fine :D so having the option to use host's routing would be perfect.

Hi Ace,
    Had a play with your plugin yesterday, looks like it does what I need. As I wrote in another thread - it would be perfect if it was possible to use VC just for total recall/editing/patch management (pretty please Access!). But as long as this isn't possible, your plugin provides the total recall part, and the responsiveness of MIDI is great - playing via VC never felt this good, even in Live mode.

One thing felt awkward to me though, that the plugin itself opens the MIDI devices, preventing the DAW from using them. Would it be hard to modify the plugin so that MIDI is sent to/received from the VST host? The DAW would take care of routing, and device selection problem will go away:

From the plugin point of view, they're "normal" midi ports, but the device selection in AceVirus is currently based on the device name (must match "Virus TI synth"). I know it's clumsy :D I'm pretty sure I'll end up adding a combobox to select the MIDI devices, especially for the lucky people owning several Virus 8)

I'll look at the code if you make it available, although I've no idea how to send/receive MIDI from a VST plugin. Hope I can figure it out ))

Again, thanks for your efforts!

Thank you Ace, I'm gonna check this out.
    One thing I don't fully understand is the "Virus TI Synth" ports. What exactly are they? Shouldn't I set the plugin to use whatever MIDI ports I have the Virus plugged to?

It loads instantenously, but it does no audio at all, only midi. It also requires you to manually download the current patch from the Virus by clicking "Recv". Then it will be saved inside the project file. On loading, the plugin sets the Virus to sequencer mode, and restores every part by sending the appropriate sysexes.

So, if I understand correctly, it gives you total recall without VC? Way cool!

Zitat

I'm beginning to feel there's a need for such a tool, I think I will port it to VST very soon.

Please do! :thumbup: