I'm having a heck of a time deciding between the desktop module versus 61-key TI2. Advice welcome!
Because of the price differential between the module and 61-key, I'm thinking I could get the module and spend the difference on a 61-key controller or second synth. I have a weighted 88 I practice classical on (much to the neighbors' chagrin), and some 37-key synths I find less than useful, so either the Virus or a controller/second synth would likely become my main board.
Desktop Module (+ controller/synth #2):
- I've been considering the Yamaha CK61 and tried it out a couple times in store. The keys are very quiet and feel good to play, especially compared to what else was on display (including some used workstations). I found it REALLY easy and fun to mangle its sounds in a way I'm not quite sure Yamaha intended for something billed as a stage piano, and hadn't realized I spent an hour doing that until I got my phone out. Oops. Sorry, salespeople...
- HOWEVER...the CK does NOT have or receive aftertouch.
- Is it possible to route TI2 aftertouch to something like a mod wheel or pedal?
- What 61+ key controller or synth alternatives in that price range (800-1000 ish or less) with good keybeds might I be missing?
- I hate spongey/springy keys (Microbrute, some cheaper controllers, etc.).
- One instrument simplifies things, this one has pedal inputs, and that big open spot on the panel would be great to plop my MPC on for sequencing.
- Keys have aftertouch, so I wouldn't be missing out on that.
- I've heard the keybed's great but have never encountered one in person.
- Does anything else use this keybed?
- Does anyone with it have opinions on the CK's keys or other keybeds out there right now?
General Virus Questions:
- Do those of you with the Virus use aftertouch often, or is this something I'm overthinking and don't really need?
- Are there good Virus piano patches out there by chance?
(Apologies if I placed this in the wrong forum category - mods, feel free to move it if so.)