Explain Detuning

• Hi Guys,

I'm really starting to wrap my head around the different ways to affect sound on synths. I currently have the Virus TI but feel I've come up against something. What is the difference between the 'Semitone' and 'Detune 2/3' parameters?

I originally believed the 'Semitone' knob changed the pitch of the selected oscillator, making the waveform shorter or longer depending on whether '-' or '+' and the 'Detune 2/3' knob didn't change the pitch of the waveform but just its phase. That is the 'Detune 2/3' would still have the same pitch but would shift it along, that is to say OSC2 would be exactly the same waveform as OSC1, just beginning later depending on turning of the 'Detune 2/3' knob.

However further reading makes me believe the 'Detune 2/3' knob changes the phase of either OSC2 or OSC3 by either making the waveform shorter or longer. If this is the case, how is this different from the 'Semitone' knob?

My questions are:

1. How exactly does detuning work?
    2. How is this different from the Semitone knob?
    3. Is there a way to have OSC2 as the same waveform, but with it just out of phase.

I've found little help online so far, the closest thing being this thread but it still doesn't answer my question. http://www.gearslutz.com/board…tion/330781-detuning.html

Cheers Guys.

• Semitone: Adjusts the pitch of Osc 2/3 (Coarse tuning)
    Detune: Adjusts the pitch of Osc 2 up to half a semitone up, Osc 3 up to half a semitone down (Fine tuning)
    Phase Init: Adjusts the initial phase of Osc 2/3 from Osc 1. Basically it makes Osc 2 & 3 start at different points in their waveforms. Explained better in the manual. Shock horror!

1. Detuning is phasing of two waveforms which are playing slightly different pitches. Create an init patch, set Osc 1 & 2 to Saw, set Osc Balance to the middle so you hear Osc 1 & 2 sounding. Turn Osc 2 detune to zero, the sound you were hearing before you turned that dial to zero was detuning. You'll now notice that the sound is more static and there is no movement as the oscillators are playing the same pitch.

2. Coarse tuning vs Fine tuning. +/- 4 octave range for Semitone +/- .5 semitone range for detune.

3. See 1.

HTH.

:)