Can't get my Virus Classic to update in any way... LOSING MY MIND!

• Hi guys. First post. I just picked up my first Virus. A red Classic desktop module, and I'm in love with it.

First, a little introduction about myself… I've been dealing with synthesizers and MIDI since 1985 when I picked up my first synth, a Korg Poly 800 Mk II, and sampler, an Akai S612. I've loaded sounds from cassette tape, SysEx data, you name it.

My issue is I can not get the Virus to update in any way. I always get a "Checksum Error" message. I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.4 using SysEx Librarian and a new Axiom Air 25 as controller / MIDI interface. I thought maybe the issue was the controller, so I tried my friend's M-Audio Uno simple USB MIDI interface. No dice. Tried other librarians on the Mac including Elektron's C6, etc… Then I even tried some on Windows on my Mac through VMWare Fusion… always the same story… Checksum Error.

I slowed down the settings, tried converting the MIDI files to SysEx data then re-trying… I know it's seeing the data because I get that little "SE" icon on my Virus when I try without powering on by holding the STORE button. I just don't get it. I'm losing my mind. 2 days straight with this.

I've tried so many combinations of things, setting the high / low page, shutting off MIDI clock, etc… EVERYTHING I can think of.

Believe me, I'm a problem solver. Been non-stop Googling info for 2 days about this. Posting here is a last resort. I just don't get what I'm missing :(

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME?
    Thanks in advance to anybody that replies.

• I don't own any hardware sequencers, Chris. The last hardware sequencer I owned was an Alesis MMT-8 in 1987. If you mean SOFTWARE, I've tried Logic X and that didn't help either. I tried slowing the tempo down to as little as 20 bpm all the way up to 140 in multiple increments. I just tried FL Studio as well, which I run on my Mac via a CrossOver Wine wrapper. No luck. I never dreamed I would have such a hard time with this.

I've been a session keyboard player since 1990 and professionally producing records since 1995. I'm just stumped.

• I dont know about the Virus A, but I assume you have tried different syses/midi files? (ones produced by the your Virus A for example) ..
    . perhaps the file your using, really does have a checksum error... or is at least incompatible with something along the line (Virus, SysEx librarian) ...
    are you able to transfer anything at all? also, Id assume you have tried replacement midi and usb leads?

• I dont know about the Virus A, but I assume you have tried different syses/midi files? (ones produced by the your Virus A for example) ..
    . perhaps the file your using, really does have a checksum error... or is at least incompatible with something along the line (Virus, SysEx librarian) ...
    are you able to transfer anything at all? also, Id assume you have tried replacement midi and usb leads?

I have the Virus Classic, which I was led to believe is like a Virus B. I'm using the OS 4.9 MIDI files directly from this website, which I've re-downloaded twice, just to make sure there wasn't a problem with them being corrupted. I haven't been able to transfer anything at all. The USB leads from both my Axiom Air 25 controller and my friend's M-Audio Uno MIDI interface are fine, I assume, as I've been using them without issue. Brand new MIDI cable as well that I'm playing my Virus with.

• try another MIDI interface. some drivers cannot copy with large amounts of SysEx.
    hth, marc

Yes, this seems to be what I must do as I've exhausted pretty much every other option. It's very discouraging as after updating the OS I wanted to check out some other patches. I did try the "OS Chunks" folder but that gives me a checksum error as well. Is there any likelihood that the Virus could be "broken" in this regard? Every other function seems to be working perfectly, and I've initialized it by booting with both SHAPE buttons held down.

• One more question... Is there a way to be notified via email when somebody responds to this thread? If so, I haven't seen it :)
    Thanks

• try another MIDI interface. some drivers cannot copy with large amounts of SysEx.
    hth, marc

Is there a specific MIDI interface you could recommend that you know works for sure, Marc?
    Then I could rule out every other possibility.
    I'm on a MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion 10.8.4. Thanks

• Problem solved. Traded in my Virus Classic for a Virus B. Updated OS and patches via the MIDI on my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and SysEx Librarian for Mac set at 65% transmit speed. Odd, as I understood the Virus Classic was just a B model with a new paint job. Whatever the case, I'm a happy camper again.

• Got a Virus C used, came with OS5.5 on it and with SysEx Librarian kept receiving checksum errors however if I hit any key, the device would still be ready to receive data.

Learned the hard way, do not do this, as it left my unit very unstable. Sometimes the LCD screen would power on, sometimes only the LFO 1 2/3 LEDs would stay on.

I am now retransmitting data as OS in Chunks on 65 percent speed.

How did you arrive at 65 percent transmit speed?