TI2 keyboard with Cubase - Best Method ?

• Hi folks,

Just purchased my lovely TI2 and getting into integrating it with my studio.

I'm running Cubase 8.5 pro on a Mac Pro 12 core (Mojave).

When I go to add an instrument Rack I get the option of 4 viruses!...Two TI2 and two Virus SNOWs.

The first of each both have an 'x' by the side of them with a second version being available with no 'x'.

Does one denote a different VST version or similar that I shouldn't be using (depicted by the 'x') ?

Also - is adding the Virus as an instrument rack the preferred option for working in Cubase as opposed to just adding it as an instrument track ? I'm unsure what the merits of this are as I don't currently work in this manner.

Many thanks for your advice.

Rob.

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• Hi Rob

You see 4 instances of the VC plugin because there‘s a VST2 and a VST3 version and a normal and Snow flavor. In the Cubase plugin manager, you can deactivate all Virus Control plugins you don‘t need:

- all the VST2 versions

- all the Snow type (except if you have a Snow)

That will leave you with just one VC plugin version.

The VC plugin must be used as a rack instrument because it‘s multitimbral, which means you can run any number of tracks with up to 16 channels into it. And you can only have one instance if the VC plugin for each Virus hardware unit you have attached to your computer.

HTH

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

Edited once, last by ozon: typo ().

• Thanks Oli.

Only just getting back to my Virus now and have managed to disable the unwanted SNOW and TI VST2 version.

There seems to be a lot of discussion around using the virus as an internment track vs rack and it seems most people (on balance) are using it as a track rather than rack?

I don't really understand the difference and as a beginner to this (but a very experienced musician). I suppose I'll get my head around it eventually.

Thanks for your response. I will have a lot of questions and in the interest of keeping things 'on topic' I shall quit here and raise another thread if I cannot find my answers when searching.

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• There seems to be a lot of discussion around using the virus as an internment track vs rack and it seems most people (on balance) are using it as a track rather than rack?

I wonder how those people use more than one part simultaneously. You have to put all the notes into the same track and adjust the MIDI channel of each note accordingly. Must be pretty awkward to work that way.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• It would seem so! I'm "getting it" now though Oli so thanks for your input.

Rob.