Beiträge von Choond

Just as an update, I decided to try out some different TRS cables from Monster, Canare, and Mogami, as well as some generic Digital 110 ohm patch cable. I purchased just a handful of cables second hand on ebay.

In terms of sound, I dunno, I think you'd have to know your Virus very well to pick up on any major differences. All of them sound great to me and any differences between them are minor at short lengths. I mean I could say `that cable sounds brighter' and `this cable sounds creamier' but I'm left wondering if I'm just imagining the differences.

I'll probably end up using the generic Digital 110 ohm patch cable for most of my rig because, theoretically, it should transmit the most audio detail because of its lower capacitance. Its also extremely quiet. But I'll definitely keep the Mogami and Monster cables as well because I really like the way they sound, and they have Neutrik Gold connectors which are nice too.

For some reason I found the Canare cables a bit noisier than the others, but they are second hand so maybe they just need some re-soldering or something.

Thanks heaps David! Yes, it s sooo nice to finally have this synth sitting here and connected to the HS80M's & my keyboard; I really hope that you will get one too:) . Its more impressive in real life than in the pictures. I'm appreciating so much about it, and I think a sound designer like you would love this thing...its got a bit of everything in terms of sound types, sound control, and special fx.

As you may have guessed, I have been interested in synths for along time and have owned quite a few classics over the past decade or so. So all the little modern additions that you see come together on something like the TI- like the balanced analog outs/ digital, software integration, and USB I/O and massive polyphony- really mean something special to me. The software integration is of lesser importance to me, I suppose because I learned to sequence synths the old skool way. But I am keen to try something new and see how it goes.

It would be just my luck that i have to go away for week tomorrow. So I will not be able to really look at its software integration with Cubase 5 for another 8 days. I wish i could give you a bit more feedback than this and address some of the problems that have been mentioned earlier n this thread. I will definitely get back to you soon though.

My TI arrived today! Oh, it is very nice, and in perfect condition too. I am used to programming the Virus A, but it didn't take long to figure out basic navigation on the TI.. The effects / distortion/ EQ section is a very , very welcome addition. This will take a load off my CPU and now I won't have to spend a fortune on decent software EQ channel strips. I'm also looking forward to programming the arp via steps, just like my Kawai K5000s (which unfortunately has very little user memory for storing user arp patterns)

First impression of `the sound' is it is a little different to the Virus A. I expected this, though, because the DACS are quite different. Virus A seemed to have more `presence' & `grit' on first impressions (even without a distortion FX section) , and the TI seems to have more spectral balance and `fullness' (excuse my not-so technical description). Some of the sounds kind of remind me of heavocity evolve, and others sound very drum and bass. Overall it is very pleasing to my ear and I think its a keeper for sure.

Will post more once I've had a deeper look at it.

Hi David,

I have another keyboard called the Kawai 5000S, and it uses exactly the same fatar keybed to the one on the TI keyboard. It is quite nice to use though I never thought of it as anything really special until TI users started talking about it :) I can only compare it to a Roland Juno 106 that I own. The roland feels a bit nicer to me personally- its less `springy' but really I forget these things when start playing.

Hi David,

I have the Yamaha HS80M's too, but not the M-audio 88 keys. Is yours the 88 key weighted version? I've been wondering about 88 keys- must be so nice.

With ITB summing, some advice I read on gearslutz recently is that dithering with the right program can also help a lot. I will explore this option also, though it is a new process for me.

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for the info on the console software. Analog summing versus ITB summing is a concern of mine too, as my DAW, cubase 5, is not so good at it. I am going to test the difference when my TI arrives, as I have a balanced line mixer (very quiet), an old unbalanced analog desk with wicked EQ, and a small soundcraft balanced desk to test. It would be nice to mix exclusively ITB for the ease of adding side chain compression & other effects, but I am getting the sense that with the TI ,at least, it going to be better to use the analog outs and submix through one of these mixers.

Hi David, I've never heard of that one, is it a new hardware type of synth?

The ebay seller I mentioned selling the TI's has name something like `kloud9'- just type in `Virus TI' on the ebay USA web site, and they will come up. Like you said, there are not many TI's usually for sale on ebay. I think he had them for USA $1499 each.

I should receive the TI I ordered this week sometime, so I'll let you know it goes .

Hello David,

There's a seller on ebay USA selling 2 Virus TI's at the moment. He sells worldwide and seems like he has very good feedback.

I just bought a TI, and I haven't received mine yet. I bought it because, like you, I wondered about the Virus for over 10 years, and now I have a bit more time and money on my hands, I wanted to try it. I first purchased a VIrus A, and it was everything I had ever hoped for- it was easy to program and the sounds are incredible ! I immediately decided to upgrade to the TI so that I could make the Virus my main production tool. The TI is like 16 Virus A's in one, plus effects for each part!. IF you really start to compare what the TI can do to popular soft synths, you see quickly where software is limited and very resource demanding in comparison.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot Ionis, Yes that helps me out a lot and I really appreciate your knowledge on strand count too. As you prolly know, there is a lot of info on the net about cables, but many of the opinions I've read are from guitarists seeking a slightly different sound to me. Seems that solid-core cables such as evidence are the favourites amongst guitarists, followed closely by Mogami.

I've pretty much decided to test things out for myself, with a strong leaning towards Mogami. I'm also buying a small quantity of canare and monster cables to test out as well...nothing too expensive and I'll probably sell what I don't use. The virus has such a unique sound to it, and I'm curious to see how cabling influences its character, and whether a transparent sound, like Mogami offers, is going to work best with it.

Thanks again for your help.

PS. Interesting to hear about the HOSA livewire Elite. Hosa gets a bad rap, but I don't think people realize they have a lot of good stuff in their range, beyond the rubbery, cheap coloured cables (which really aren't too bad either if they are kept very short)

Hi, I'm looking to buy some decent cables for my new TI, and I'm torn between using my set of planet waves guitar leads (which I've been happily using with my old virus A), or investing in a set of TRS leads, such as Mogami or Canare .

Can anyone make any recommendations and share their experiences with these brands? Are they too clean sounding, or do you find them a nice companion for the TI? The kind of sound I'm after is slightly gritty and analog, kind of like my Virus A

Thanks a lot!