Beiträge von tj

Wow it is nice to see some interest in that :)

Sorry for the delay.

I am still working on some final details.

I will give you update next week. Thanks a lot for interest!

Yes like Viper !

Thank you very much indeed ozon for pointing me out to this great VST.

I wasn't aware of it and after listening to sound samples and AB comparisons it looks like very, very good emulation of Virus TI.

It might not be 100% accurate but probably as close as one can get.

You have saved me lots of programming and tweaking time. THANK YOU.

Now I see that the project I envisioned makes no sense as Viper is pretty much already existing Virus clone in form of VST.

So, I can now move on to thinking about something else....:-)

Yes I have seen that web page. In my opinion emulation is a dead end road.

It is good only for people who are 100% happy with existing firmware.

The problem with DSP563xx emulation is that you are emulating the DSP running original firmware you gain absolutely nothing

versus having that hardware.

All limitations of existing firmware remain if you just emulate the DSP.

Besides it is illegal to use firmware without having bought actual hardware.

Other problems are inefficiency (you have to use hefty processor just to emulate 150MHz DSP), inability to run on cheap embedded hardware, etc.

If you write everything from scratch in C/C++, you are free to improve any aspect of the original, you can run on any hardware and it is perfectly legal because you are not using anybody's else code.

Sorry to review old thread, but as you probably now Motorola/Freescale DSP 56K used by Virus TI is marked as end-of-life, so to release a new Virus
    Access Music would need to rewrite the whole thing from DSP 56K assembly to C/C++.

Are they doing that as we speak? Or did they abandon idea?

It would be nice to have a say from Access Music on that subject.

If Access Music abandoned the idea of making hardware synth successor to Virus TI line, what if we consider
    creating "Super Virus" on our own?

A NEW synth build written from scratch in C/C++ so it can be compiled to any popular ARM processor ?
    What if new synth retained ability to directly read patches from Virus TI, so all your existing TI patches would work without changes?
    What if new synth fixed areas that are not so great in existing line, such for example audio-rate modulations from LFOs and envelopes

(as Virus currently uses control rate of 1/64 of sample rate).

What if that code was able to run on inexpensive STM32 / NXP embedded ARM processors?

What do you think? Would anybody be interested in 2024?

Cheers,
    TJ

Hi,

Sorry to revive old thread but I wanted to ask fellow users about their opinion.

I am in the process of building my own stand alone patch editor / librarian for the Virus TI.
    All controls shown on pictures below are already working. All communication with the virus is done

via MIDI (either USB or oldschool midi) and the editor is standalone, does not require ANY DAW and anything at all
    except MIDI connection.

The UI is high-DPI compatible (scalable), screenshots come from 4K screen.

Question: Would anyone of you be interested in using such patch editor / librarian if it was released as not expensive shareware?

The editor is a part of my bigger project, that essentially would be "super virus", i.e. bringing what Virus TI offers to the next level.

Cheers,

TJ

SCREENSHOTS:

(Page 1 : sound generation settings)

pasted-from-clipboard.png

(Page 2: modulation matrix)

(Page 3: effects)

(Page 4: arpeggiator)