Posts by Lidge

I do not think its a good idea.

1. People will crack the software
    2.. Everyone will use the virus

Having to buy the hardware makes the virus much more exclusive.
    I mean look at the massive vsti,.
    "Everyone" uses it, and most people use the illegal version.

I was very put off buying Massive for a long time simply because everyone was using it, and now I've bought it I don't find it as easy to program as the Virus!

I've often wondered if they might release an FX vst pack so you can get the effects in your DAW, too. It might be a nice quick way of maximising the polyphony for some presets where the delay kills it, for instance.

Not a bad idea, I quite like their Vowel Filter for example, I know it's possible to port external sound into the Virus to do this but that also eats up one of the Virus outputs

Someone needs to remind me off this forum I think, I only really check it during my lunch breaks at work and I forget to look into things when I get home. So yeah someone get me on Facebook or something lol

I've achieved similar sounds by simply using a saw based osc going through a band pass filter.

Using LFOs have the pitch of the osc and cutoff of the band pass filter modulated, but going in opposite directions, I'll have to look into linking some sounds I achieved some months ago when i had a crack at this.

I'll have to review how I've made some nasty Bass sounds with my Virus TI when I get home from work, I struggled at first but I still find my Virus loads easier to get phat sounds out of than the NI synths. I still like the NI synths though..

It was about 18 months ago I was having this debate with myself, I was also weighting up should I buy just a desktop or just a polar?

Both machines are identical, other than their colours and the fact the polar has a keyboard, they both have the exact same programming interface and both ship with the same pre sets. So the only thing the Polar has on the Desktop is the keyboard. With all this said though while using the Polar with USB in your DAW the Polar can also be used as a MIDI keyboard, and I have got to say the Polars keyboard is the nicest keyboard I've played on yet!

It all boils down to your requirement at the end of the day, oh and the Polar is also awesome for live performance!

How do you mean by drones? Do you want one of the oscs to be at a constant pitch regardless of what key is being played like a bagpipe drone? Or are you talking about making a certain character of tone that you'd recognise as a drone?

What DAW are you using eugenebalt? I don't think Pitch Bend is a standard CC control in many synths, I think that being one of your main reason for buying a Virus is a little daft considering all methods I'm aware of can aso be applied to pretty much any other synth... Anyways back to my original question, what DAW are you using?

Each patch on the Virus has a + and a - value which determines the affect the pitch wheel has, it is possible to set this value to 0 so that the wheel has no affect. You can easily edit this in VC, although for me to advise you how you'd have to wait til I get home from work and look at my Virus.

I've just got my Yamaha FC7 today and have gotten it working with my Virus TI, it was quite simple really. All I had to do was plug it into the right port at the back. Then I pressed the CONFIG button on my Virus until Keyboard 1/5 showed on the display, I then had to press the PARAMETERS keys to the right to Keyboard 4/5. Then you can use either the VALUE 1 knob or VALUE buttons below the PARAMETER buttons to choose what you wish your pedel to control. I personally chose #9, which in the mod matrix is controller 9. I was going to make it control the mod Wheel but this way I can still have the Mod Wheel assigned to other controls, giving me more live control which was, of course, the purpose of buying a controller pedel in the first place!

Interesting points you raise, although I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a programming expert I can imagine changing anything in regards to the user interface or the features of the OS can potentially create new bugs and/or aggravate anything that was in the slightest bit unstable in the first place. I imagine making something for the Windows platform can be trickier than Mac as there's more variations in Windows PC hardware. I remember having hell trying to get my Digi 002 to work on a windows platform as it was so picky what motherboards it would work with!