Beiträge von flabberbob

MIDI and automation bandwidth is negligible relative to audio bandwidth. But audio bandwidth is constant since the number of audio channels does not increase with the number of sounds since the sounds are mixed into the audio channels.
    Your problem seems to lie in maxing out the DSP power of the synth. Every synth has a limited number of voices they can play. When a new note is triggered and all the voices are taken, one of the already playing voices is stopped and recycled. The Virus has a dynamic voice allocation engine which means that the maximum is reduced as you use more complex patches. The voices pool is also shared between all of the 16 parts (MIDI channels) of the Virus, so playing one patch might steal a voice of another.
    If you have a long pad that you don't want to be cut while other parts are playing you can increase the part priority of the part that has that pad loaded. But don't go as far as abusing part priority. It's better to be wise about choosing the complexity of your patches (use the 5 bar meter on the LCD), reducing unison, adding effects outside of the Virus instead of inside the Virus, etc.
    Hope this helps.

phye, In order to see if the distortion is part of the patch or not, turn down the patch volume and see if the distortion intensity stays the same relative to the overall volume, or if it cleans up the sound. In the second case also check to see if the clipping occurs inside you DAW. BTW this is not the same problem as the OP, they talk about a hiss that endlessly comes and goes in 5.0.4, but not 5.0.3.

You mean send a remote MIDI command to change the focus of the unit's display to a different part? I have never though of that. See if you can record MIDI messages from the output of the unit when you press the < part > buttons. If they exist they should be the ones you need to play back from ableton live/launchpad.
    Hope this helps.

I think the maker of this track played a nice trick on our ears. The screech is low, but it does not have presence in the bass range. The ring of the kick is instead tuned to match the pitch of the screech which glues them together in our minds...
    In any case a good start for the screech would be a square wave, and a very fast LFO modulating oscillator volume.
    Hope this helps.

You are on the right track, you just need to filter out some of the low frequencies. See if you can add highpass to the current configuration of your main filters. Also try the various filters available from the filterbank effect as highpass, as well as reducing the low EQ - those should do the work even if you can't change your current main filter configuration.
    Hope this helps.

Patch parameter page B is covered by the appendix of the Virus C manual, along with the general sysEx format. A few parameter numbers seem to have been deprecated and moved to pages C and D, but still respond in a backward compatible manner. For the rest, you'll just have to tweak knobs and record MIDI data.
    Hope this helps.
    P.S. I'd love to have some user moderated database of Virus TI sysEx strings, to patch up that hole in the documentation.

And also:
    LFO3 has fade-in.
    You can make an adjustable-width bandpass out of the two main filters in series: one HP one LP with some overlapping frequency range.
    You can make an adjustable-width bandstop out of the two main filters in parallel: one HP one LP with no overlapping frequency range between them.
    Hope this helps. Envelope delay has been on my request list for a while, along with note-off triggered envelopes and LFOs.

My fellow late-adopter (same TIOS here)... from my experience it's hard to tell in advance how the Virus will work with USB3 since it depends on who designed the chipset, who manufactured it, who integrated it into the motherboard, who wrote the drivers etc. Just try and see how it works. But more than just what USB standard is implemented, the question of how the USB bandwidth is distributed is the one you should be looking into. For example, having the Virus and the MOTU under the same internal hub will make them fight over the bandwidth so that none of them is satisfied. Furthermore, since the Virus is a USB 1.1 device it needs special care from the internal hub so it is your safest bet to have it as the only device under its internal hub. Use the device manager in "devices by connection" view to see just what goes where.
    Hope this helps.

Start with Osc2 alone, detune=0. Increase FM amount and set FM source to noise. The "whaoh" character can be done with the filters in either serial hipass and lopass or parallel bandpasses. In any case use a fair amount of resonance, and modulate the cutoff using the filter envelope (another possible source is an LFO in env mode, especially LFO2 which has the filters pre-routed). Final step is distortion. Mono+portamento could be helpful when playing such a sound. You can also polish it up with some effects.
    Hope this helps.

Actually this sounds to me like a saxophone sample. But if I were to design a saxophone-like sound using the Virus I would probably do the following:
    - Start with a sawtooth on osc1
    - Play low notes
    The modulation part is easier here:
    - Make the sound go a little bit out of tune by controlling osc1 (and later osc2) pitch by a small amount. You can use LFO1 pre-routing for this (try env mode, triangle shape, several contours) , or create a moduation matrix routing from the filter envelope (an attack-decay shape - meaning 0 sustain - should be enough).
    - Since in the link you gave, far away notes have noticable glide, increase the portamento.
    The timbre itself requires a little more trial and error:
    - Use the filters to create a mid-rangey sound. Consider using the filters in parallel mode. Make the filters key-following (with positive values) if you want to get the complete "sampler sound" experience.
    - The saxophone typical buzzy finish can be a achieved using a little bit of white noise and osc2 in sync mode. Try osc2 with several waveforms including the wavetable ones, and several settings of semitone, detune and FM.
    Hope this helps.

Mikinho:
    The crackle and the sync loss are two different issues.
    The crackle is caused by USB bandwidth problems. Since it's OK most of the time and goes haywire every once in a while, I'd suspect there is another USB device sharing bandwidth with the Virus that once in a while sends bursts of data thus leaving less bandwidth for the Virus momentarily. Use the system profiler in order to identify that device, external or internal: it could be a camera that sends a photo over USB, an external storage saving a file, etc. Once you find it, try to rearrange the connections.
    In order to avoid sync loss, try to make your looped sections start and end on a bar marker. Skipping off beat can make some effects lose the MIDI bar/beat count.
    Hope this helps.

when you have the USB connected it [...] disconnects the keyboard from the internal synth engine (when VC starts... why?)

This behavior can be configured from the unit's config menu - set "local control" to enable. But note that if the DAW is set to receive MIDI from the keyboard and send it back to the Virus you'll start hearing 2 notes one on top of the other for each key you play. Since my workflow uses the modular approach, where the DAW is the center of everything, and no module is supposed to do anything on its own, I'm quite content with the integration as it is, but I can see how the ability to turn certain functionalities on and off regardless of the current mode can lend itself to different setups.