Beiträge von flabberbob

Here's a diagram of the old Virus signal flow, available on the download section of this site. I hope it helps to clarify.

I think you're wrong here, as it certainly seems to be things you can do with the older viruses that the TI line doesn't support. Internal routing as mentioned, and external LFO triggering (Virus B manual page 241) are two examples.

Are you referring to the retriggering of the LFO-s via CC#70 and CC#82 (LFO mode select)? You can try that yourself - just draw/copy/paste those CC messages (with value 0 for poly LFO and 1 for mono LFO) in your DAW and send them to a Virus part that is loaded with a patch that has some prominent LFO modulation, and see what happens.

I've been reading and re-reading your post, and I find it hard to think of where to start, because your question is not phrased in "standard" Virus terms (besides the fact that you posted it on the wrong forum section). In any case I'll try my best:
    The Virus line is backword compatible, and features are only added. Therefore, it is not possible that an older model had some routing scheme that is not supported by the newest TI.
    By AUX bus maybe you meant the effects bus? The A thru C models had a central effect unit for delay and reverb, and each patch could only choose how much to send to that unit. The TI models implement delay and reverb separately for each part, but due to the linear nature of those effects, if you set the same type for all of the parts, it will sound the same as a central unit [or mathematically: Fx(a(t))+Fx(b(t)) = Fx(a(t)+b(t)) where t is time and a and b are audio waveforms].
    Regarding re-processing one part by another, that is possible to some extent in multi mode if you set some part a, e.g. to out3 L+R, then connect out3 L+R to the inputs using TRS leads, load/create an input based patch on part b and set it to out1 L+R (make it twin unison if you want stereo, and note the various input modes). Play part a, and part b will affect it, part b might behave differently depending on whether it gets keyboard input or not. This is limited to only one send between only two parts at any given time.
    Here is an example of the result of such a setup, plus part b was also fed back to itself (custom cabling ;) ).
    [soundcloud]

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/soundcloud]
    Hope I covered everything.

From what I hear this is a 2 oscillator sound and the oscillators are 12 semitones apart. The "noise" you hear is the high frequency harmonics of different sources interacting with each other - sometimes amplifying, sometimes canceling (lower frequencies do it to, but we hear it as phasing).
    Things you can do:
    1. In the OSC page you can set osc2 detune to 0 and set phase init to a number instead of off, so that the phase difference between the oscillators is constant and the phasing effect will always sound the same.
    2. In the osc page, sync osc2 to osc1 - this will make the oscillators behave like one.
    3. The high frequencies of the tail (amp. env. release) of the last note interacts with the current note. Try mono instead of poly, or shorten the tail.
    4. Filter out the high frequencies so that they don't bother you.
    Hope this helps!

You start by creating a high-frequency enriched sound (which you play with bass notes). This is done from the init patch, the following way:
    1. Sync osc2
    2. change the semitone/detune of osc2 to your liking
    3. Increase the FM amount to your liking and decide if you want to use pos triangle/triangle/wave
    4. Try different combinations of sawtooth/pulse (with different widths)/spectral waveforms
    5. Repeat 2-4 until satisfied
    6. Note that the analog boost effect is turned on. You can tune it or get rid of it completely.
    7. Apply distortion. You can use either the filter saturation distortion, FX distortion or both.

You end by animating the sound, using one of the filterbank filters to re-shape it. Conrol the filter parameters using LFO-s in ENV mode.
    Sometimes the tail of the sound is a single delay repeat, changes by the delay's color and LFO controls.
    Further distorting/filtering/compression can be done using the DAW.

Hope this helps.

This is a so-called clavinet-type bass. You re-create it by using a single sawtooth oscillator, and putting it through a lowpass/bandpass filter (using both filters in parallel as BP/LP might work as well). Some saturation/distortion can add to the character.
    Hope this helps.

Data Entry - MIDI CC#6
    Balance - MIDI CC#8
    Velocity On/Off - you are correct, please note that IIRC velocity off starts as 0 until you leave the key.
    ARP input - you are correct, please note you need to set the ARP section to ARP->Matrix mode

Filterbank Xxx - controls whatever effect you have selected in the Filterbank module (FX1 page in Virus Control, or "others" on the unit itself). Note that some of the filterbank effects make use of just a subset of the filterbank destinations.

A few suggestions:
    Even though the scarlett 2i2 uses odd buffer sizes, you might be able to use it despite the warning. It will mean that your computer will have to do extra work for converting packet sizes, but your computer might be up to it.
    You can try installing asio4all, and work through it instead of the focusrite ASIO drivers. Asio4all has better configuration options.
    Regarding FLS, as a part of the Virus installation there is an FLS demo project with static delay compensation already set up. You can copy the numbers from there, and use them in all of your projects.
    Hope this helps.

OK, let's make it work with VST2:
    - Make sure that the part you want to automate is selected
    - If it is a multi-selection effect (e.g. the filterbank) make sure that the desired effect is selected (e.g. vowel filter)
    - Right click on the image of the knob for the parameter you want to automate (e.g. vowel)
    - The first right click menu option is "Add <parameter name> <part number> to automation" - select it
    - It is added at the end of the automation list (after the "easy page" parameters of all the parts)
    Good luck!

A few of the suggestions already given for this issue in this thread:

Go through the configuration menu to see if by any chance the input thru option is enabled and/or the input boost is set too high. If this is not the case, you might be using a noisy USB port. In this case try another port or connect the Virus through a USB filter.

could it be mains interference rather than an LFO?
    ( perhaps try away from other devices, different location )
    Do you get but through analogue outs and headphones?

Try another USB cable anyway, though whitenoise is unlikely from a digital cable,
    More likely generated on virus , hence important to check other outs.

ah, ok, so you are only getting this whitenoise with some specific patches...
    you might be getting a 'lfo' effect (phasing) from detuing, either of oscillators or the unison - try altering the detune amount, if its this, then the amount of detune will affect the phases, i.e. rate will alter.

The first parameter banks are backward compatible between all Virus models. The extra parameters for newer models are on separate banks and will be ignored by older models. So:
    1-->Nothing bad will happen, newer features used by the patch will not show so it might sound different.
    3-->Yes, if you stick to the basic features such as basic oscillators and filtrs.

There is no standalone editor/librarian for the Virus TI, but if you load up VC in a lighweight VST host you are close enough.

You have 2 choices:
    You can use the VST3 version of Virus Control (I think it has a star or something next to it), or in the VST2 version, right click on the control you wish to automate and select to add it to the automation list.
    Hope this helps.

Ahhh... what a classic.
    It's (single sawtooth + noise) --> lowpass filter with lots of resonance (more than half way) and positive key following (lots of it here as well). The amp envelope should be set for pluck: |\_. This was made using vintage synths so the analog filter type is a good candidate.
    Hope this helps.

I know that it's saws, but it doesn't sound as straight as out of the box. I've tried with portamento on Neutral & slide inside of Sylenth1, pitch modulation using LFO's as mentioned above, but I dont achieve the same type of sound. It feels like it's kind of bending or something? I don't know how to explain it, listen for yourself and I'm sure you get what I mean.

I used the theme from Sorcerer's Apprentice by Paul Dukas for this tutorial. Read the timed comments, they explain everything.[soundcloud]

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/soundcloud]

Technically it is possible - you loadone part with an input patch an all te othe with regular sound patches, then route the Virus output to the virus input. This will of course give you a feedback loop, unless the input patch will use a differen USB out than all of the other patches. BTW I have no idea if cubase will be able to calculate the correct delay compensation in this case.
    I would start with trying to route any old audio clip into the Virus, just to see if it works.

As part of the factory patches you have "Pianu BC" and the pair "MPianoHi @"+"MPianoLo@" which should be split across the keyboard as their names suggest. If you want to program one yourself, besides a piano-like envelope ( /`--̢̢ ) you should note that for the piano sound charachter the filters and resonance are more important than the oscillator shape.
    Hope this helps.

The good news is that you don't get a "satan's sawtooth" kind of sound (as in the other thread you linked to), just stuck notes or lost audio. This is usually a USB issue. For example, a common problem is that the computer sends the USB interal hub to sleep while the Virus is playing and this causes communication problems. In this case you should disable power saving either for the specific hardware or the whole computer. If you have friends that are mac experts this would be a good time to use them (along with Access support).

It is possible to use the Virus as an FX processor. It involves creating a sidechain routing to VC and creating an input patch on one of the Virus parts. The trouble is that sidechaining instruments doesn't work 100% in cubase. You can use the Virus as an FX processor using analog audio as well.
    The other thing is the ability to send different parts to separate USB outs (VC's common page). In the F11 view each output is directed to a bus wich you cand send and use with FX. It's explained better here - it could be that you have a more updated version of this file in the Virus intallation folder.