Beiträge von flabberbob

I've seen Viruses that worked fine without addressing the "Sample Buffer Size" issue, but I guess you can never know unless you try. What DAW are you using? It could be that your DAW has an option to override the buffer size set by the soundcard.
    Crackle and stuttering sounds very much like a USB load issue, but you can solve it by trying to figure out (Mac: profiler / Win: device manager) which USB bus on your computer is not shared by any other device, and connect your Virus to one of its ports. If you have too many USB devices you need connected, banish them to a USB2.0 hub, and free a bus for the Virus.
    Hope that helps.

Maybe I didn't get what you were trying to say but the knob labels, such as "destroy", "mutate", "infect" etc. are just pre-made display names (which you can't edit, just like you can't edit categories, but at least can edit patch names). They do not influence the assignment what-so-ever, they are just there to help you remind yourself which knob does what. The destination field is what you are looking for, and if you are looking to control more then one destination with a knob, use a MIDI control as a knob destination, and use that MIDI control as a source in the routing matrix.

Currently, when I want to create a complex sonic ambiance, I take one patch for a warm pad, another for twinkles and bleeps, and yet another for swooshes or other effects. I would like to know how far I can go with just one patch: I am aware of the split mode and several routing techniques, but I'm not sure I'm making full use of them. It's also good to know where the limitations are.

I am guessing between the lines that you are using the TI as a soundcard. Does your computer has its own internal soundcard? If so then try to see how everything sounds through there.

Try to connect the TI to a different USB port on that computer - it is possible that the installation for the current USB port has become corrupted and with the next one, the fresh installation will be better.

Hold it, hold it, wait a sec - why then doesn't it act the same way in older versions? The unison is not only of the oscilattors, but of the LFO as well? The LFO is duplicated along with the oscillators? And why, in VC/VSTi it doesn't pan unless I press "record" or "play"? I'm lost. I guess I need to see a diagram or something.

----------------- edit -------------------

I admit I don't use the unison at all - I usually am satisfied with what choruses and phasers have to offer, both inside and outside of the Virus - so it was time for me to do some reading, and I found out that what actually happens is that every key played triggers many separate notes in the Virus engine (as many notes as were set in the unison configuration). So yes, all the "pipline" that is needed to create the note is replicated, with modifications as was set in the unison configuration.

The thing that threw me off was the fact that the unison configuration in the VC/VSTi is in the oscillator section ?(. In comparison, the Virus itself doesn't even have a button for it, you have to go into the single menu.

Still that doesn't explain why the behavior is different with and without the DAW sending out MIDI bar/beat info. Could it be linked with the LFOs mono setting? And how does the LFO's init phase influence things? There's more experimenting to be done...

*** Banging head against computer screen *** Arrrggghh! Why didn't I see it!?

But, of course, whatever I said can be applied to 2 LFOs instead of 2 oscillators, like Lidge said - the key is the RELATIVE rate of the LFOs, the relation should stay the same when you want the effect to go faster or slower. Another thing is the contour of the square LFO which should be 67% since the positive side of the sine is twice as big as the negative side.

Struggling with the Virus' limited (maybe even buggy) FM synthesis this is as close as I could get (start with init patch):
    Oscillator 2 wave select: Sine (pure)
    Oscillator 2 fine detune: 0
    Oscillator balance: +100.0% (only oscillator 2 is audible)
    Oscillator 2 FM mode: Triangle (not pos...!)
    Oscillator 2 FM amount: 22.7%
    Oscillator section initial phase (a.k.a phase init): 31
    As I have noticed in a lot of FM based patches, above C7 notes start behaving badly, especially if more than 4 or 5 keys are pressed - it sound more like Morse code transmissions - it would be nice to know if you get that as well...
    I tried to do it using the "wave" FM mode, but it doesn't seem to work as advertised...

All is not lost. If the other devices on the shared USB hub are all USB2.0 devices (none is USB1.1 or less - use the profiler in mac and device manager in "devices by connection" mode in windows to find out), you are still good to go. If not, a USB2.0 hub dedicated to the Virus will work, probably with increased latency. A better solution will be to get an express card of USB ports that will be dedicated to the virus. Also, a few users have reported success with USB3 - try to search the forum.

Assuming you are using the 3 output mode maybe try the following: Set the output of the atomizer patch to USB2 and mute USB1 in CuBase. It could be that the effect is working but is masked by the original input.

Isn't the init patch close enough? 2 detuned saws? - if not enough saws you can add more with hypresaw or unison.

So just play with the amp ADSR - lower sustain and adjust decay to get the punch, and increase release to get the tail.

Raise your mod-wheel a bit to get that shakiness going and I believe you're there.

I actually followed your instructions with my 4.5.3, and no, you're not going crazy. I've also added a step to set LFO3 mono (so that the amount would be linked to the MIDI bar count), and one thing to stress is that when just playing around "offline" it sounds as it should, but once pressing "play" or "record" in the DAW it starts doing that strange panning thing - and setting the unison count to an even number doesn't help, as it did in that old 4.2 obvious unison bug... Marc...? Jörg...? Help...?

Maybe some electronic components just need some time to bed in?

Capacitors sometimes do, but when they do it usually indicated bad circuit design. At work I sometimes charge up capacitors by touching at the wrong place without being properly grounded, but this is not the case with the Virus which is enclosed in a metal case.

By the way, how do i tell if they are monophonic or polyphonic?

How many notes do you hear when you press more than one key? Also in the OSCILLATORS section there is a MONO button with a LED on top.