Beiträge von JoshL

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but just put out a new EP, and opened up for Claudio Simonetti's Goblin a couple weeks ago! The project is called Doors In The Labyrinth and the EP is called "The Sound of Her Wings"
    https://doorsinthelabyrinth.ba…um/the-sound-of-her-wings
    All synths were my TI, drums were an EMU XL-7 (also live sequencing) and guitar and vocals. The EP also has some hammered dulcimer, lap dulcimer and a touch of harp. The bass is a mixture of Virus and Bass VI, but live it's just the synth because I can only play one guitar at a time!
    I've been playing shows in Pittsburgh since September, looking to get outside of the city soon, so if anyone in the general area wants to trade shows, let me know! Thanks for listening!

A couple years ago, I was using a Virus B, but it died on me in the middle of the project. It would receive and send MIDI, but there was no audio. I backed up all my patches, reset the system, tried different cables, MIDI sources, output channels, everything I could think of. Access support said that it was probably a hardware issue and gave me the address of where I could send it. However, the project I was doing was a film score, so I was on a pretty tight deadline and decided that it was time to upgrade to a TI. I did, and love it, but kept the B in case I had some extra cash to try and get it repaired.

Fast forward a couple years, I need to buy some new gear for a different project (this Industrial/spoken word thing I've been playing with, sort of Skinny Puppy-ish, or at least, that's what I'm going for. Need a passable orchestral synth for live use, the TI will cover most other bases). I figure I'll sell the B for parts/repair on eBay, maybe get some cash together to get what I need. Dragged it out, same issues. Receiving MIDI, no audio. Switched everything, reset the system, no dice. I decide to try reloading the OS...I thought I would have tried this before, but it's been so long I can't remember for certain. No luck through my mixer, I try headphones. And I hear it. Plug it back into the mixer. It's working fine.

I'm going to put it through the paces this evening, and make sure everything is still working, but could that have been the issue? Has anyone else encountered this before, or could there still be something wrong with the hardware? It's great that it's working before I sell it, but I'd like to be a little more confident in the solution, doubly so since I needed to unplug and replug the audio cables before it worked.

Just double checking to make sure I'm not missing anything:
    If I want to free up a multi in the 1-16 bank, I need to save all the single patches, make note of settings (volume/channel/etc) and rebuild it in the 17-127 bank from scratch, correct? Or is there a quick and easy way to "convert" it, so to speak?

I love using the first batch of multis, particularly as a song is developing through live performances, but eventually the set list outgrows the available space (and hopefully at that point the songs are starting to get a little more solidified!)

Jesus what did I get myself into :( ???? So let me get this straight, some of you are going back to midi, even though you bought a "TI" Sad..... shoulda just bought something cheaper

So whats the consensus on the right OS to use?????

I use 4.5.3, and it's just fine for me. It throws up a buffer error message when I start Sonar, but it's not a "real" error message and works just fine (the buffers are already set below what it asks me to set it below). So I guess the consensus, as it were, is use the OS that works for you.

That said, if the software wasn't so useful, I'd be happy going back to MIDI (more than happy, because then I could downgrade Sonar back to 8.5...my hatred for X1 knows no bounds, but current budget means I'm "stuck" with it for a while longer). I personally bought it for a good hardware synth, and an upgrade from my Virus B, which is in need of repair. The software was just gravy (damn tasty gravy as it turns out). Hell, I don't even use a laptop/TI for live performance, so the TI wasn't even a consideration for me.

Babble aside, experiment, tweak, use the OS/setup that works for you. You got yourself into a great, flexible and expandable piece of hardware, so it's worth the effort!

Amazing how so many people spend time complaining about what they can't do, rather than creating with the tools that they have. That's the great thing about the Virus; it's so flexible that it's nearly impossible for the synth to be useless. Can't get the USB-MIDI working? Plug in a MIDI cable. Can't get VC running to edit patches? Plenty of knobs on the front of the box. Not recording at the sample rate you want over USB? Run the analogue outs into your audio interface. Computer fried? You can still make music with any old controller and a 4-track. The only problem not easily solved is there not being enough of the Virus to go around!

But I guess for some people it's easier to complain on Facebook rather than work with what they have. If they really don't like their Virus, they are more than welcome to give it to me!

Yeah, you absolutely can! I do it pretty often myself (usually for processing guitar, for which any latency drives me nuts). In the VC software there's a section for outputs, so you can set the output of each part individually.

Once you've bounced everything down to audio tracks, to avoid a muddy mix, use EQ to give each instrument it's own "notch" in the frequency spectrum. For example, if you have two arps going on, and you want them both to be clear, have one with a little boost at 8k and a cut at 7k, and vice versa for the second. Tones that are supposed to blend, or melodies that trade off can easily live in the same frequency range. Oh, and a high pass to cut out bass is VERY useful for cutting down on mix-mud.

And going back to your original question, when doing film scores, I tend to use mostly orchestral sounds, with a bit of virus to spice it up (rarely more than 4 tracks at once though). Less worries about mix EQ there, beyond the original sound design on the Virus. For my band, I'm using 8-14 tracks of Virus, drums from an EMU XL-7, guitars, lap dulcimer, electric violin and vocals. VERY busy mixes, usually at least 30 tracks of audio (after comping). Good planned EQing in the mix stage is necessary, and like everything else, I'm still learning.

...and a bit of a further update. We've released our debut EP, and we're starting to get some radio play out of it. You can hear the entire EP at the facebook page, or on YouTube (www.youtube.com/user/GhostEstateMusic) Oh, and if you like it, the EP is for sale at the usual spots (Amazon, iTunes, CDBaby, etc):
    http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/GhostEstate
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/alb…thly-thing-ep/id500968674
    http://www.amazon.com/No-Earth…8&qid=1329082971&sr=301-1

Next steps, more radio play, reviews and some live shows starting in June!

I imagine it would be really hard to calculate, particularly with "long tail" sounds (reverbs, long release values, etc) eating up polyphony the way they do. That said, boy would this be the most useful thing ever!

Doing arrangements for live performance is almost depressing sometimes..."okay, shut off all the reverbs, switch to simple delays...shut off unison as often as possible...cut back to simpler oscillators...make sounds mono where I can...trim down release times...(etc, etc)"

I do realize that buying a second TI would help (or upgrading to TI2, or thinning out the arrangements), but it'd be nice to keep track of what I can actually pull off live!

Okay, flying by the seat of my pants here (sold my 909 a few years back), but I do something fairly similar with the sequencer I use now (XL7).

Go to part mode, and make sure the parts you don't want the 909 to generate sound for are set to EXT (sequencer mode...INT plays the 909, EXT plays whatever's on MIDI out and BOTH plays...well...both). Make sure your Virus is set to multi-mode (and you'll probably want to mute the channels that you aren't using on the Virus...14-16 in your example). I seem to recall the 909 have a "soft-thru" setting if you are using your computer as a sequencer.

That should take care of #3.

The VU I *think* you get to in Sample mode, but there's also a meter if you switch to the Mastering Effect.

As for part 2 playing on the virus, again, make sure the Virus is in multi-mode. If you're trying to get sound using the keys (well, pads) on the 909, make sure that you've selected part 2. The pads only work for the selected channel.

Again, my 909 skills are rusty, but I hope this helps!

The combination of two more envelopes and the frequency shifter becoming a third filter is exciting! I've only sparingly used the comb/vowel filters that are there now due to lack of dedicated envelope (could just double the filter envelope, but then I wouldn't have it there.

But now? Filter envelope for F1, envelope 3 for filter 2 and envelope 4 for the filter in the effects section...my brain is overflowing with sound design possibilities!

The big question I have is what is the polyphony hit going to look like? I'll have to upgrade my hardware soon anyway (using the old TI now), but I'd like to be able to use these features as much as possible.

I was afraid the answer might be something like that. I've checked and rechecked my setup, and that seems to be the only place where it's a problem. When I have more cash I'll have to have someone take a look at it. My Virus B never had this problem, so I thought I might just be doing something wrong.

In the meantime, I'll have to just use it for live processing, and process instruments differently in the studio. Which is too bad, because the Mint Overdrive is fantastic and responsive! Honestly, it probably wouldn't too much to anyone other than me, except in the more quiet sections. My vocalist is classically trained though, and I feel the tone of everything in the mix has to be as good as her. Hooray for perfectionisim!

Thanks for your suggestions!

We're talking white noise...a pretty high pitched ring throughout the track, regardless of input signal. I've tried both direct and preamped, instrument level and line level out from my computer, and the results are the same.

For live sets I'm running the instruments direct, through a couple effects (the dulcimer through a compressor and a noise reducer into one input jack, and the guitar through a few effects, distortion and a wah into the other jack). It sounds fine for live shows, though in all likelyhood I'm getting the same noise, just not focused on it as closely as I am studio-wise.

I know the input thru is set to 0, but I'm not sure where the boost settings are. I'll try that this evening when I get home. Thanks for the tip, and hopefully that's the piece I'm missing!

I'll post after I've tested, one way or another. The TI effects are awesome and I'd like to use them on as many things as possible in the studio!

So I'm working on an EP; for live performance I use my TI to process guitar and dulcimer sounds. All well and good, but doing recording I'm noticing a lot of noise on the tracks. It's not so bad in a dense mix, but when it's just the guitar, it's pretty annoying. I've tried playing through the TI, using both the USB and the physical outs, as well as recording the guitar parts with a DI and bouncing through the TI from my computer.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use it as an external processor when recording (thus being less afraid to use the tasty but voice-expensive reverbs, etc), but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Any tips on reducing noise on the inputs? I can post some examples later, so you can hear what I'm talking about.

Don't think I did before. I'm an aspiring film composer in Pittsburgh, used a Virus B for a couple years and just upgraded to a TI in August. Absolutely loving it, by the by. I've done all sorts of crazy music from acoustic folk to noise and everything inbetween. I'm just about to start my second feature length score, and finishing the first EP from my new Celtic/electronic/rock/classical mish-mash, Ghost Estate.

Hope 2012 treats everyone well!

I use my Virus in a lot of film scores, but lately I've returned to the world of live music. My band (well, duo really) is called Ghost Estate, and you can hear us and see a couple live videos at: http://www.facebook.com/ghostestate (www.ghostestatemusic.com coming soon).

Virginia's background is in classical music (former professional opera singer and violinist), mine is in electronica and folk. The first three songs we've recorded have been traditional Celtic songs (two Scottish and one Irish, for the curious), but we have some originals in the works as well.

Gear setup is as follows:

EMU XL-7 - sequencing and drums (occasional pad or lead, as needed)
    Virus TI - synths (occasional drums) and instrument processing
    Mountain Dulcimer
    Guitar (the three songs are done on a Jay Turser electric 12, though the two I'm hoping to finish this weekend are on an Ibanez 6. Will probably pull out the SG at some point, but just want to use the two live).

In addition to vocals, Virginia is playing a Wood electric violin on "Rosalyn Castle" (and more in the future).

If you listen, let me know what you think!

I just upgraded my old Virus B to a Virus TI, and have spent the last month taking it through the paces. I absolutely love it (using the last stable OS, not the beta of the new one), and most of the "I wish I could" features just took me figuring out how to do them.

The only thing I would request for a new version would be a master reverb/delay, moreso for the reverb. The Virus reverb sounds fantastic, but it sucks up voices very quickly with complex arrangements, particularly if I have it on more than one part. I've found myself shutting it off for live use (though using it for recording). If there was a master reverb, to which each part could send, it seems that would be more CPU efficient, allowing me to use it more.

Other than that though, brilliant kit!