Beiträge von RichardK

I'm finding this too. I contacted Access support, and was told I'd be invoiced for a new output board if that would fix it - no invoice, no output board, and more to the point no answer on whether the output board would be the issue here.

Volume turned above halfway, I start to get distortion on the left channel (analogue output 2) - not present on SPDIF, USB or Sub outputs, only on the analogue output 2. It's not present on headphones, which is interesting because surely the volume control affects the headphones too - of course this makes me really suspect the output board more, but I'd like to know for sure before going nuts trying to get the replacement part.

Of course if the headphone output is on a different volume circuit somehow, that makes it EVEN MORE CONFUSING, but this isn't the first Virus I've had with this behaviour - I just assumed they weren't all they were cracked up to be and moved on.

Well, the good news is that the output board is under €100, so perfectly happy to buy one (and for those of you who have yanked on your cables and damaged the board, it won't be too horrific a repair cost if it can't simply be soldered).

But still waiting to find out if that is the cause of the issue - one post suggests that the DACs on a SuperNova are different for the main mix due to the volume control, and that maybe the Virus has a similar architecture?

That's very helpful, thankyou.

I wouldn't be too worried about repairing an output board if the replacement part (complete) were reasonably priced, given the costs and risks of shipping my TI to a service centre. I'll see what Access’ technical team comes back with.

My TI has been sounding crackly, and I assumed I'd got something wrong with the rats nest of mixer & so forth clipping, but no, it's the Analogue 1 Right output that is failing. It's just got that breaking-up sound of a bad output.

Tests:

Different cables (no difference)
    Different channels (plug left channel into right output, left channel is the bad sound)
    Different sources (play music/sounds from Mac via USB through those outputs)
    Go into Multi mode, assign patch to Output 2 L+R, no crackles

Is this likely to be dry joints/bad jack socket or something more sinister? I've yet to crack open a Virus TI 61, but is the analogue output board a separate thing, or is the whole lot on one big board? I seem to remember it all being one board when I fixed the mod wheel on a friend's TI Polar.

I don't normally use the multi outputs, if anyone at Access wants to patch firmware to swap my Output 1 and Output 2, that would be just fine by me :D

Mine is a TI 61-key with most recent OS.

Just connected to iMac via USB. Nothing else apart from a hold pedal.

What DID occur to me though, was that I'd set it to use a control pedal assigned to cutoff #40, which is not connected. So I've gone and disabled that, and will see if it results in any changes,

Changing patches seems slow, but i figure they have a lot to load up.

Mine seems to be doing something similar. Does yours display anything to say the pot has been moved?

I can have a patch loaded, be playing, and after a while - not easy to predict, but certainly "some time, and it resets if the patch is reloaded and it's some time before it does it again" during playing it'll just suddenly change the patch and open it right out. There's no indication on the display to suggest any pots or signals have been received, but it happens with a variety of patches and usually after they've been played for a long time - as if there's a really slow envelope that suddenly kicks in.

Certainly it sounds like the cutoff has changed, even though I didn't know what the cause was.

Mine's a TI, not a TI2, but it's been consistent enough (and also insufficiently random - it's never 'just after' or 'after the synth has been on') that it doesn't feel like a failing pot to me, and I get no indication of a value being changed on the display. Feels like a bug to me, and it feels like a bug that I'd put down to using Virus C patches on a TI (except I find it on what I believe to be TI patches too).