Beiträge von dark_fader

This could be done through the plug-in as a WAV file. The ability to draw a waveform by hand would also be very interesting.

After that stage, some Z3ta+ style wave shaping would be pretty tasty - you can get some really clean and pleasing phaser-like sounds with that feature.

I'm interested in getting my Emu 1212m sound card working with the Virus, as I'd be able to use my ADAT breakout box to completely wire up all the Virus ins and outs. The TI2 appears to be working perfectly well if I use the it as my sound card, but causes all manner of problems if I try to run it through the Emu.

Firstly, every time I open the Virus plug-in I'm told that either the buffer is too big or that it's an odd size and needs to be (basically) a power of two below 512 samples.

Trouble is the Emu only allows me to change the timing in milliseconds, meaning I can't get an exact power of two in samples.

I get a lot of popping and crackling until I drive the sound card timing from the Virus's SPDIF out, so maybe I'm close to a solution, but even then MIDI timing is abysmal.

Has anyone got these two bits of hardware working together? If so, how?

I just got a TI2 desktop the other day. I was getting bad crackles and pops, odd noises, glitches etc. which I cured by connecting the SPDIF of the sound card and the virus, then driving the sound card timing from SPDIF in. With the Virus producing the timing signal, things calmed down. (You may not have SPDIF though.)

MIDI timing was still way off though, so I tried using the Virus as my sound card. Instantly everything worked like a dream, with the advantage of the possibility of extreme low latency when playing the synth. Have you tried that yet? I've now got both interfaces plugged in to my mixer. For now I can swap between them if I need the extra ins and outs of my main sound card - but it would be nice to fix the 1212m and Virus combination properly.

I'm loving the crisp, tight sound of the Virus - it's making me realise what I've been missing with a lot of soft synths. However, there seems to be a growing fashion for additive synthesis - and the sounds available using an additive synthesis engine are interesting, diverse and powerful. Software synths like Razor and Harmor have shown that the seemingly bewildering concept can be broken down into an easy-to-use, familiar format.

It would be really interesting to have the ability to swap out a couple of oscillators for additive oscillators (with a selection of pre-created additive waveforms) and plug in a pair of additive processors while still within the additive engine, before it drops back to the subtractive engine to use the classic filter and effects sections. I think this 'best of both worlds' approach would give the Virus a unique edge.

I do, however, accept that the amount of development time and processing power required may well be prohibitive.