Beiträge von shiek_yerbouti

Flabberbob, how did you know I like that song? :P

Yes, it was definitely a roller-coaster ride. Thanks for recognizing that! What was particularly frustrating is that replacement motherboards are no longer available. If you hear your Virus whistling from inside it's case, now you know what you need to do. I hope this lasts!

If this didn't work I was getting ready to figure out a way to hang up the KB on the wall of my music room like a piece of modern art. :!:

Here is a photo of the board with its new capacitors. Words can't express my gratitude to the guy who did this work. It's hard to find anyone who has the knowledge to do this type of work, and who is willing to share their time and skills to get it done. It was too delicate to attempt myself.

Thank you to all for your advice and responses on this!

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/amilon/after4.jpg]

I found someone who routinely replaces capacitors on MB's and sent him my MB for repair. He has replaced all 22 caps on the board. His note to me said that the +12 to +5 converter stage was not running and those caps were shot. He is 100% confident the MB is repaired. The MB is in the mail on the way back to me. My fingers are crossed that it will power up the way it used to when all was well and that there are no other problems with it. I do miss my Virus KB. I'll post the results soon.

Hi Max,
    I did try the system reset procedure, but no luck with that. Thanks.

Flabberbob,
    I have a feeling you are right. Putting a desktop board inside the KB probably would cause compatibility issues like you've described.

I would be happy to pay for a replacement KB motherboard, but the service center said they are not available from Access anymore.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Thanks for your response Muzikman. I'll keep all that in mind! Now that the MB is out of the KB it's obviously a lot simpler to ship it somewhere where it can be repaired. So I am also looking to see if i can find a reputable place that performs this kind of work since it's so delicate.

I am also wondering - if I bought a Virus B desktop model (or even a Virus C for that matter) would I be able to swap the motherboard into my KB? I think the MB should be the same, except of course the motherboard on the KB has a connector for the key bed. I wonder if the Virus B desktop model also has this connector already attached to the MB?

With no local service center around and unable to find anyone who will actually service a motherboard i have decided to go it alone and try to repair the MB myself. There seems to be enough evidence around that capacitors from the period when the Virus KB was produced were problematic. The whining/whistling noise that occurs when the power is turned on seems to be be a sign of bad capacitors as well. I have been looking at a lot of YouTube videos that demonstrate how to replace capacitors on a MB and it seems straight forward, but also a bit scary due to the smallness of the parts and delicate nature of the MB. However, at present I am the proud owner of a $2200 tin can Virus KB, so what have I got to loose anyway?

I reopened the Virus KB yesterday and removed the MB. I was hoping to find an obvious leaking capacitor, but that was not the case. They all visually look OK through the magnifying glass. I don't know if they can be tested while still attached to the MB? However, there is one capacitor in particular that draws attention to itself. It is the brown one right in front of the attached picture (there are 22 caps on the MB, this is the only brown one: 100MF/25V). This capacitor is the only one that is installed crooked - all the others are meticulously straight. At first I thought it might have just been installed this way, but now I am starting to suspect that perhaps instead of exploding from the top, that maybe that capacitor has slightly pushed itself out from the bottom and that could be a sign of failure. Also, the lettering seems faded due to heat and it is the only cap that seems to have it's lettering fading out of all 22 caps.

Since i have no experience with this, the less I interact with the MB the better. I am going to try replacing this lone cap and see if it solves the problem. I'll practice on something else before trying the real procedure. It's a 91 cent part at Radio Shack and quite possibly it is what has brought the Virus down to it's knees.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/amilon/DSCF1372.jpg]

Hi Marc,
    Nice to see you are still around. :) I did contact Access Support, but they were not very helpful IMO. I was surprised to find out there are only 2 authorized service centers in the US. In addition to the problems with shipping, they also informed me that replacement parts for the Virus KB are now very rare. Jorg told me the keyboard is "quite old". I thought my KB would last much longer than this. It approximately 12 years old. I normally would not consider that to be quite old. At least it should be serviceable. It's hard to find anyone who can replace capacitors on a mainboard. Anyone who would fix it just wants a brand new mainboard to swap out, which I believe are out of supply. This KB has been kept at home the whole time in a safe place. I doubt it would have lasted as long if it was touring around. Disappointing because I love this synth so much.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Thanks Flabberbob. There are only 2 authorized service centers in the US and they are thousands of miles away. I spoke with them and one of them was kind enough to advise that even if they could fix the issue that the KB would not likely survive being shipped back and forth without sustaining some damage - no matter how well I pack it. I really want to follow your suggestion and find someone here in Ft. Lauderdale who has the knowledge and skills to replace the capacitors. I hate to think that my $2000+ Virus has been turned to a useless tin can over the failure of $10 part! It still looks mint.

Is there anyone out there near Ft Lauderdale who knows how to replace the capacitors? Please?

Thanks,
    Tony

Hello,
    My Virus KB no longer boots up. When I turn the power switch on the LFO 1&2 LED's light up and I have a blank green editing screen. I can hear a faint whistling sound coming from inside the case. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I suspect it might be a power supply issue, but don't really know the true cause. The power supply looks like it would easy to replace. Does anyone know how to find a replacement power supply or it any of the other power components inside would be easy enough to replace.

Please help. I miss my virus. ;(

Thank you,
    Tony