Beiträge von skittb123

Funny, I stumbled upon an add on marktplaats (dutch version of ebay), where someone is claiming to have a workaround for working with the Virus on Big Sur doing everything over USB. He is providing an implementation of the solution for 95 euro. It’s a fair price. But I am curious what he does to make it work. And if it really works….

Interesting. I wonder if he actually means using the official Access Virus Plugin through USB or if he's just referring to MIDI via USB...

EDIT: he seems to have already removed the add from Marktplaats.nl. Did you get the chance to speak to this guy?

Heads up, I've gotten a report via the Facebook group I admin that the latest Windows updates break the drivers on PC making the Virus unfindable.

https://www.facebook.com/group…4163516337019600/?__cft__[0]=AZWIakD34iTX9Vzy22h4QjMh6_0zApSnaLeN2DpUAniYj1zXEXaV_yzD3-XUYAqWwONgPY1VRjufScUn1FO8iD7wPWeBYN6nm1v-q9QgKMbmxwdM2upHmLhEhWCipjZmLQZyfDnFAqBcwHgExsXNDx8-&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

Doesn't work on Windows 10 for ARM either. Installation goes fine but the plugin and Virus Control software simple cannot find the Virus.

It’s not what we purchased. Depending on how you work, it means you now need to assign many inputs on your audio interface to the virus. It negates the TI concept entirely basically.

I accept Apple has moved the goal posts. It’s the fact they are still selling the TI2 and burying their heads in the sand that is unacceptable.

I know.. but what can we do about it? We bought this synth to make music.. If you wanna continue doing that, adapt..

Yep.. It's still the same joblisting.

It makes you think no one wants to work for a shitty company like Access them...

But more likely Access probably doesn't even want the position to be filled..

Otherwise they would've put some more effort in it...

At the very least they could've put the joblisting on Indeed.com or jobscout24.

Now the listing is just hidden away on some website that's only visited by a few thousand people..

just have a „external monitor“ for the virus with direct acces to the plugin parameters on the macbookair, that‘s all ( good thing is i can even push the plugin gui to the best resolution to deal with ;)

Ahh okay so you're using your Macbook Air as a screen (and a host) for your Virus,

and the Big Sur Mac is only used to trigger the midi notes am I right?

Essentially you've made your MBA + Virus an external midi instrument for your Big Sur Mac.

Pretty cool solution. I just think managing presets for each song you make is a hassle right?

Interesting.

For actual music production this workflow is too complicated,

but for the tweakers among us this could still be a fun side project to fiddle around with.

What plugin or software did you use to host your Virus TI plugin and run it on your slave?

I tried going the audiogridder way earlier but never got the Virus plugin to open on slave Mac.. while other plugins like Sylenth opened just fine..

That is just the nature of CPUs (DSPs) reaching their processing limit. Everything is always calculated in sequence and not in parallel. The more complex a sound, the more time it takes to calculate the waveform. At some point, you have to either defer some calculations or simplify them by degrading the audio signal. Both will happen on the Virus, with sound quality as priority. It seems that timing of Envelopes and LFOs is impacted first; I observed this behavior accidently when I had programmed a very short high pitched FM based tick sound, which became considerably "broader" and "imprecise" as more other sounds (basses and pads) where added.

Earlier TI OS Versions had substantially less Oscillator complex types and Effects. I guess that has more to do with processing timing behavior than potential changes of the MIDI over USB timing.

The example I mentioned is a patch OS 3.3.4 can identically make. My point is that midi timing of the exact same patch will remain solid in 3.3.4, even upping the unison to x8, while in 5.1.7 the timing starts being off even at 2x unison. Sure, because it's a heavy patch (intentionally so ), voice stealing will occur in both OS-ses, but in 3.3.4 voice stealing doesn't change the timing of the notes played, while in 5.1.7 it does.

I sometimes have this problem too, but I can't reproduce it very reliably under practical conditions. Sometimes it appears that changing the clock to 48kHz slightly helps, but other people trying this reported that it got worse for them.

I also noticed the problem can go away when I connect the TI to a computer via USB (in a simple USB mode without the virus VST) and set up the computer to route MIDI coming from the TI midi in directly back into the TI synth. (I use a HW sequencer connected to the Virus directly with a din midi cable)

It has nothing to do with using midi via USB or regular Midi!

It has to do with the amount of voices a patch is using and how to Virus handles voice stealing. Try making a patch with 2 full hypersaws, the unison at x5 and then let your DAW play chords with more than 4 notes playing at the same time. In this circumstance 3 notes seems to be the limit before voice stealing starts to have an influence on the timing. (which it SHOULD NOT HAVE)

I've found Setting the Synth to SEQ mode instead of multimode does help but the timing still isn't as tight as with OS 3.3.4

Thanks! In 5.1.7 that doesn't change anything in terms of MIDI timing..

Yesterday, I did some extended testing, installing all OS-ses between 5.1.7 and 3.3.4, and OS 3.3.4 definitely handles timing the best!

It remains super tight, even when using hypersaws, unison, and giant chords.

I really don't get why Access would change such a basic thing like MIDI timing.. other then to ''fix'' USB midi timing problems, the Virus TI may have had at that time..