Beiträge von Trey

Thanks for the advice, however, this is what I found after excitedly opening up Live to test your suggestion:

While I can make the right-click menu appear for the sync'd LFO rate by right clicking the clock divider in the display section to the right of the LFO rate knob, adding this parameter to the automation list and changing the clock rate does not make the parameter appear in Live's automated parameter list. I can make the parameter appear in Live when it is not sync'd, so that fact coupled with Jorg's comment above that this technique is not possible still leads me to believe we are missing this feature.

Please let me know if you find otherwise!

Thanks Mark - I was aware you can automate the LFO rates when they are not synced to the clock. What you've said about it not being as convenient is certainly true, but this is also an issue of accuracy in production. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a perfectionist when it comes to my work, and being forced to unsync the LFO in order to automate it will always either be evident to my ears, or require more than a reasonable amount of production time painstakingly and manually setting the hz rates for a dozen clock variations, which I have to re-do each time I want to change the tempo of my production. If you consider that some productions don't maintain a static tempo throughout, you'll see this becomes even more significant an issue.

All that aside, can anyone with Access confirm whether or not this feature is being considered for a future release? I am bewildered and maybe even a little upset that new features such as the atomizer and new effects have been worked on and completed before something that seems so critical and basic to me. I understand everyone is using the Virus platform to make different sounds and not all of them rely on clock sync'd LFO automation, but this is a huge majority of what I intended to use the Virus for - writing sick dubstep and breakbeat leads with massive oscillating filters. I figured this was the type of operation to which the Virus was engineered, so color me significantly disappointed at this time.

Thank you Jörg. If you find the time, I would appreciate an explanation on why that is the case, so I can in turn explain it to all my production buddies who are going to make fun of me for spending this much on a synth that doesn't have this ability. ;(

Hardware: Virus TI Desktop
    TIOS: 3.3.0.00
    Sequencer: Ableton Live 8.0.5
    Platforms: OS X 10.6.1 and Windows 7

It seems that I can automate the LFO rates when they are not clock sync'd, but I lose the ability to automate the LFO rate once I sync the LFO to the clock. So many effects and sounds I want to make rely on the LFO's being clock sync'd and "playing" the sync rate via automation; is it really not possible to automate variations of each LFO's clock interval? I'm having a very hard time believing this to be true, it seems like a relatively basic requirement for modern synthesis. :S

Updates:

- I got everything installed on my Windows 7 x64 PC, and the problems are identical. After loading a patch, various controls (most of them!) I am unable to bring up the right click menu to add the parameter to automation.

- I rolled back to Ableton Live v8.04 on my PC and the problem persists.

- On my Mac, I rolled back to TIOS 3.2.0.07 and the problem persists.

Can someone please confirm that you should be able to automate parameters such as those under the 'LFO Modulation 1' bank on the LFO page, and the velocity and keyfollow knobs on the filter page? I feel like I am taking crazy pills. I can right click the envelope amount and resonance knobs on the filter page just fine.

No worries; I forgot to mention the part where I too felt heartbroken to realize my Virus wasn't infinitely powerful ;D

By the way, while troubleshooting some other problems today, I stumbled upon a feature to set a part's priority as high or low. In Virus Control, right click the 'D' button next to each part button and it will show you a channel list, but at the bottom of the list is an option for high or low priority.

Regards!

I've got a quick layman's answer for you, and possibly someone smarter than myself can chime in with more detail later.

The basic concept is that the Virus can indeed run 16 parts, but it is limited in the amount of processing power it can provide to drive each of those parts. Each part can consist of one or multiple oscillators, filters, and other effects, and the more complicated the part, the more processing resources you are taking away from the Virus until it has no cpu power left to drive your remaining parts.

In practice, the Virus will drop voices when it runs out of processing power. I believe I read somewhere (though I can't find it now) that it makes an attempt to drop the most inaudible or unimportant voices first, but in practice I have had critical voices drop out as well, indicating it might not always be able to achieve this goal.

Check out page 41 and 42 of the Quick Start manual for more info on voices, polyphony, and how to maximize your polyphony. Need a way around this problem entirely, or want to be guaranteed to hear every voice of every part? You should be able to achieve this by bouncing each part out into a wave file while soloed.

Hi Marc, not yet. I was hoping to determine first if any other users are affected by this issue. I was also unsure about contacting support concerning a Public Beta release.

Last night I also began the process of moving all my production software over to my PC platform to see if I have the same issues there. I also tried running the VST on my Macbook instead of the AU, but I had the same issues.

I am running Ableton Live 8.0.5 on OS X 10.6.1 using a Virus TI Desktop with TIOS 3.3.0.00. I am finding that when I have patches loaded into the Virus, there are various parameters for which I am unable to view the right click menu to add or remove the parameter from the automation menu. Examples of this vary; in a production I was playing with earlier today, in synth part 1 I am unable to get a menu when I right click LFO1 Rate or LFO3 Rate, but the LFO2 Rate menu comes up when right clicked. On synth part 3, I can't get the right click menu to appear for LFO1 Rate or LFO2 Rate, but LFO3 Rate comes up fine. Most of the LFO modulation banks were affected by this problem for parts 1-4.

The ability to get the automation menu for various parameters is one big problem, but I am also plagued with a seemingly different critical issue:

I only have one parameter listed in Ableton's automated parameters list for the Virus TI plugin channel whether I am looking at the envelope view of a midi clip in Session mode or the whole channel's automation lane in Arrangement mode. This parameter is [1] Filter1 Cutoff when the plugin loads. If I right click [1] Filter1 Cutoff in the TI plugin and choose 'Remove from automation parameters', the single item in the parameter list changes to 'Unassigned' and the next parameter that I right click and choose 'Automate' will populate that spot; however, just one value is the most I ever see in this list. I am under the impression that there should automatically be many parameters in the automated parameter list on plugin load, such as the Soft Knobs, Filter Cutoff and Resonance for each part, but I can't ever get these to show up, much less am I able to add my own parameters to this list.

I greatly appreciate any insight to this issue. The Virus is unusable in its current state and I'm not crazy about the concept of rolling back to Leopard.