Beiträge von Baymond

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Added double drums mid way....simple groove tune showing hardware sync on tempo - All instruments together at same time.

Trying my hand at recording multi-tracks.The main thing here is that the tracks are all played start to finish "live" and I manually synced several of the parts, (meaning i played along to the beats with other rhythms.) The Snow really holds the sync well.(Virus Snow perpetual motion main synth riff and synced bass fed into the TR8 effects) ...start to finish with the (muted) original Moby Song @ 125.9 bpm). Anyways, I really like this old school song and also used a JX10 for string pad which was used on the Twin Peaks theme sampled by Moby.and a V-Synth for open pad drone.

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Well this is just my view but here it goes: If you are playing out a lot then maybe a thru box or merger would work fine because of size, price and transport etc. and if you are working with other folks and/or have to have more than a couple pieces of gear. Also if $$ is an issue can solve some problems on the cheap with those boxes. But if you are building a home set up and can spend the $$, then a patch type bay (tons of choices out there now with the USB too) can offer as many combinations as you can think of by just pushing buttons once you have it all set up and they sync of course. Here is a simple pic of my current set up patch bay diagram. Any one on the Left can control up to all (8) on the right. (You could even have one's on the Left listed on the right as long as you don't have it controlling itself.) This is just one example for my set up that works for me because the ones on the left are usually controllers with the way I do my music, but again, no reason why they could not be moved to the right side. Also - Keep in mind the Roland A880 I use is 80's technology and with the Studio Capture Interface, works GREAT meshing old gear with the PC recording software via the Studio Capture's USB. However - The modern units (Motu etc.) have obviously updated internals to work even better with latency, sync etc. and can be USB powered. So basically you are controlling all of your hardware gear externally before the interface. But again, I'm a different bird because I use 1/4" plugs through the Interface and to PC via USB which I personally really like because I just sit and play what I want, not having to worry about my sound card being taking over by other gear (like the Virus Snow does-LOL!!)

I have a hardware only studio with over ten pieces of gear that I can sync in one fashion or another, all fed through (2) linked Roland Studio Captures via USB to PC. I generally keep sync'd gear to (3) units (rhythms/arps) and agree that the most stable piece you have should be the master. That Motu unit above is nice and I use an old school Roland A880 Midi Patch Bay which allows (8) combinations of In's/Out's, but again (3) units is usually max to hold sync and even that depends on the gear (e.g. Yamaha EX5R is awesome sounding kit but lousy midi clock)... I also have the TR-8 and use it often with other gear's drum kits all combined (really cool and fun to play with multiple kits sync'd together) but it is controlled with a Miniak or a Kronos...it seems to follow better than lead. If you are "daisy chaining" then as you know the "thru" plug echos midi events from the first to a third device. Bottom line, might be time for a Midi Patch Bay, they really help with hardware gear and not having to plug/unplug all of the time, but again (with rhythms and arps) I will sometimes hook the drum kits up direct via a daisy chain because they will stay in sync for quite a long time with the right gear.

Hello folks -
    Bought a Snow in excellent condition to use solely as a compact and mobile hardware synth with a contemporary church band in Charlotte NC area. Plan to also play the Snow real time via the Roland Studio Capture interface into Sonar with home studio. Really enjoy the Virus Control editor from within Sonar and auditioning patches, creating patches and quickly coming up with Set List using a 37-key Akai Miniak as VST controller (Compact again!). Main use will be as a support Pad monster and some leads and Saws. Attached are a couple of pics showing today's set up. Total weight <28lbs. (Usually use a KronosX-61 as 2nd tier, but this may be a game changer in a ton of ways.)

Thanks, have to stop acquisitions now, my wife thinks I have a hoarding problem and she may be right! (But kids are grown and $$overhead is much lower now)... Anyways, thanks for helping man, reading posts about folks with the usb latency timing concerns and all (I noticed some when playing around), I'll just stay old school and record with the old fashioned midi cables and controller straight to track real time with count in measure....have managed to get the sound quality much better over the years recording this way, and just don't have the patience to become a sound engineer- would rather just sit down and play the damn thing....

Trying out the upload.....Home Studio, but just a working stiff with day job. Play in a pretty decent Charlotte area contemporary band .....really into backing keys with tons of synth - leads, pads, you name it. The Snow is going to sit right on the PX5S and be the most powerful combo under 27lbs around LOL...... but am experimenting with Kronos external inputs this weekend too.

Ok thanks EG and fair enough, might need to take that slur shot out, but hey, got a response!!

Ok, I got things working....I had my controller synth plugged into the Midi IN on the Snow, which apparently you cannot do with the USB hooked up and Virus Control center? So I unplugged the midi cable from the Snow and ran it from my controller synth Out to the Studio Captures Midi In and Voila....Sound. (Using the 1/4" outs from the Snow which is what I want).

Guess I'm dating myself here as a hardware guy slowly getting drawn into another way of doing things.....Still really cool to be able to blend in as a VST with hardware.....amazing actually.

Thanks again for reply, I think I'm just trying to understand the role of the Snow's sound card against the Studio Capture Interface/Card and is it one or the other or do both work together since the Roland is a USB interface as well. If anyone can explain the flows between competing USB cards and interfaces like the Studio Capture, I would appreciate the knowledge.

Hello folks, I am a proud owner of a newly acquired Snow and it is now fully updated. I have a hardware only home studio, all routed through (2) Roland Studio Captures, straight to PC via USB. My DAW is Sonar Artist. (The sound is sent from PC back via USB to the Studio Capture monitor outs to my HR824's). My goal is to be able to browse through the patches within the Virus Control and audition them as I browse. I have lots of patches already loaded and can view them from Virus Control inside Sonar but cannot get them to sound. (I am using one of my keyboards as controller, with the Snow 1/4" Outs connected with 1/4" cables from that same keyboard going back to the Studio Capture channel inputs, basically using the Snow in the same keyboard's channel slots temporarily for testing).

As of now, I can load the patch, save it straight to the Snow then disconnect everything and hear it that way, but there must be a better way. I think I am confusing the Snow's USB sound path somehow? Do I have to still set up the Virus' sound card even though I'm already using the Studio Capture's interface for sound? Again, I will use the Snow only as a hardware synth, playing straight to tracks when I record, and also plan to use it with my live rig. So my only software need is to be able to use the librarian to audition and load patches back and forth. Is there anyone left out there sticking to hardware these days and have similar set up that can help? Thanks very much, and am totally in awe of this Virus technology-all aspects!!!!