Beiträge von Reverend

I have it fully working all over USB (Audio+Midi) with the newest MysteryIsland Audio unit and the USB-Midi Driver from https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver (You need to compile it yourself). It is fast and more responsive, no audio desync like in the past was with the official Audio Unit.

Actually you do not need another midi driver as the editor provides one if I understand this correctly … at least I have midi via usb this way

I was not really able to get a solid audio connection on a MacBook Pro 2013, but hey that thing is old. Will try with an M1 later.

But just having the midi driver is awesome!! Thanks for that MysteryIslandMan. I do own the editor for quite a while now and getting the upgrades for free is also really cool! Keep up the good work!

Now I would only need a driver for iPad as I would like to use the TI61 as a master keyboard it. But that is off topic and another story.

Thanks Rev, I appreciate the insight. Quick question though... When you ran Xcode, made the plugin and placed it in the MIDI Drivers folder, did you then see the Virus pop up in Ableton's preferences as a MIDI port? Because I still don't see it after doing all of that. I'm just looking to send simple note messages from Ableton clips to the Virus (and maybe to route MIDI from other external devices through Ableton) , so I'm fine to not even get into the Mystery Island editor. Thanks for your time!

FYI - I was able to get it to do what I want with a USB to MIDI converter cable so I'm ok for now, but it would be nice if I could still get it to come up purely as USB.

for me the terminal way worked, not via the Xcode app. And I had to reboot once. After that the 2 MIDI poets showed up…

Thanks jrob, I'm hoping to make this work. I've had a TI2 in storage for a while and just got it back out and set it up in the studio. I couldn't get the synth to send or receive any MIDI via USB or Din, so I tried this method but I still can't see it in my DAW (Ableton) or Audio MIDI setup when plugged into my computer via USB. Any thoughts how to resolve this? FYI, I'm running Catalina (I used an older version of Xcode to make the "product").

Here is my experience: I am running Ableton on a MacBook Air M1.

Installed Xcode and built the Simple USB Driver. So far works great.

I bought the Mystery Island Editor a while ago, now it is version 3.0 and it is much improved. Once configured it works nice with some caveats, e.g. when you turn off the Virus (in my case TI2) with the USB driver you have to set the MIDI Ports again once you power it back up. Because the USB MIDI Port is gone in Mac OS X at that time. That is one thing that still makes me believe a small MIDI interface that is always connected might be more practical.

To use the TI also as a keyboard for Ableton I have MIDI in enabled, but OUT disabled, as this is controlled via the Editor. I do have OUT SYNC enabled and It seems to work fine.

In Ableton I also have difficulties when using the TI to play its own MIDI tracks, because when switching presets the TI sends Sysex (I think all Viruses do that because I have the same issue with a KB) which then leads to a MIDI loop, meaning the sysex is going into the Virus, back into the Ableton IN track and you can see the MIDI lights blinking inside Ableton until you disable record. Only solution might be some kind of Sysex M4L filter on the track... which is what I am looking into right now. Otherwise I will use a different master keyboard and use the TI only as sound module.

Also I might not need the editor all the time so just setting up an external instrument in Ableton might do the job as well.

I have a 2018 Mac mini that still has the "old" USB connectors, 2 of them. Fusion will ask if you want to connect the USB to the host or the guest, when you start the control center the Virus will go into a different mode (not in front of me right now) and Fusion will ask again because it detects a "new" device.

It should work with a USB-C to USB-B cable or adapter no problem

I did that a few days ago. Running Mojave in VMWare Fusion, installed Access Software and Live lite, so far only used it to backup the Virus but that worked great...

I'm surprised you got that to work since Apple discontinued support for HAL plugins in Catalina.

But the method you're describing is the same principle as just using a normal audio interface for the analog outs though. Nothing new.

This does not fix the midi timing problem. This is a problem with the VirusVC plugin. When using the plugin, your host can't send midi directly to the virus. Only through the plugin.

I did not say that it fixes anything, just a different approach. In the end I am using a Behringer audio interface with midi and the editor from Mystery Island, the new beta works really nice.

So the TI2 came out in 2009, 10 years ago. I could understand that Access stoped working on a new driver after 10 years. Roland does that after 7 years of a product being discontinued iirc. But Access is still selling these synths as of today (for quite some money) and I wonder if the box still says "Comes with Total Integration for Mac and PC) --- As a buyer of a brand new synth I would expect this to be working.

I hope they fix it as I like working with TI on my Mac, so far I am not switching to 10.15 for several reasons.

Hi all, I have checked other threads and have not found the info I am looking for, or really old answers to older versions of Virus OS, so here we go:

1) Can Virus TI(2) or Virus KB send MIDI program changes? - I am testing via MIDI, not USB, and only get Sysex Messages when changing a patch. Only interested in Single Mode! The setting in the Config Menu ("Program Change=Enabled") doesn't do anything

2) Using the Remote functionality on a TI(2): I have tried to set up a soft knob to send Program Changes but never got it to work, any tips/ideas?

Thanks!