Beiträge von Nalij

This is a kind reply from Access Support regarding this problem. Very clear and helpful:

"The issue here is that you need to avoid causing a Midi loop, which is not very easy when you need to send triggering Midi notes to the TI and you want to record the arpeggiator notes at the same time. The only way to do this is this:

• you need to record the incoming Midi notes from the Virus TI to a Midi track that is not connected to anything at this point!

• in other words you need to generate a Midi track in Ableton Live that is not routed to any Midi port whatsoever - this also needs to be the only Midi track that is recording at the point you want to record the Midi notes coming from the TI

• additionally I recommend to record the chords you want to use for the TIs arpeggiator onto its Midi track without recording the arpeggiator, and then play this track back again when you want to record the arpeggiator pattern, not trying to do this at the same time

• doing this in "realtime" so while playing Midi notes on the master keyboard (even if this is the TI itself) while recording the live outcome often leads to Midi loops, which is the issue here

• keep in mind that the TI2 Polar when used with the TI plugin and in Ableton Live basically is divided into two pieces of gear: 1) its midi keyboard serves as master keyboard for your setup, 2) its sound engine is triggered via Ableton Live like any other plugin inside of Ableton Live

I hope this helps.

With best regards,

Access Music Support"

After all that I found that using Ableton's native arpeggiator can achieve much the same effect (arp note send) with a bit less hassle, albeit without the step sequencer. Thanks again to Access Support for being so awesome!

Interesting. I was under the impression that the plugin could only run 3 tracks at a time, but now that I think about it that may apply only to sending the audio through the USB. If one is running up to sixteen channels I'm guessing that you port the audio through the main outputs on the hardware and into the audio interface instead? The question also remains regarding automation. In a video I watched on setting up the virus it said that automations could only be drawn on track that contains the plugin, not on the other midi tracks. This strikes me as odd since notes are just as much midi info as automations... So is this not an accurate depiction?

Lastly, when the plugin is open it creates some annoying latency on my other midi controllers, like my PUSH, which makes it hard to tap in drums and the whatnot. Can i close the plugin for these tasks, then reopen it, while maintaining all the project settings? Very much appreciate the help btw!!

It's awesome to get a peek at other peoples processes!

Usually, I use the Virus via VST3 plugin in Cubase during the sound design and arrangement phase of songs. Then I render all the Virus tracks to audio for further work and mixing. Tedious work to do the rendering espcially because, but much easier and faster to work with the audio afterwards. And you don‘t need a Virus hooked up all the time.

oliAtBass, I'm still a beginner here so bear with me, but I'm curious how to switch between different sounds/tracks while using your plugin workflow. Let me clarify by using an example: Lets say on Track 1 I have the plugin opened and have loaded/created a Bass sound I like, so I record a Midi clip with the melody, then perhaps some automations, and finally I commit this to audio on a separate channel. Great, I've got that in. Now I'd like to use/create a different sound, but keep all of the information from Track 1 in tact for later editing/expansion/rerecording etc. What do I do? My initial instinct is to close the plugin, and then reopen it on a different track where I can repeat the process I just used on Track 1, record new MIDI and automation etc, then to audio. If I do this, can I go back to Track 1, reopen the plugin and continue working on that Bass? Will it load the patch/parameters I wanted? On a side note sometimes it seems like closing the plugin and then reopening it can cause some USB connection issues as well. I like what XXXXXXXXXXX seems to presenting here, but I'm still undecided on what approach I want to take. Guidance is much needed! :D Thanks

I see that there is a send for the Ring Modulator in the Oscillator sectio, but as far as I can tell you can't modulate the Ring Mod that is in the effects banks under "Others" - "Filter Bank 1/2". This thing does some wild stuff and I would love to be able to assign the Mix and Frequency parameters to the mod wheel at the very least. I know its deep in the effects section, so its a long shot, but I figured I'd post it. Not sure if MIDI can modulate this parameter even... just gotta have the menu open i guess

Hi all,

After using the Virus for a while in conjunction with Ableton, I'm starting to realize some of the limitations of using the plugin... 3 channels vs 16 via midi for instance, or the fact that automation can only happen on one channel at a time (I think, at least in Ableton). I also notice that using the plugin creates latency on other instruments and controllers. It's obviously easier and more visual to program patches in TI mode, but I'm curious about other peoples experiences here. Do most of you sequence with the plugin or just via midi? If there are more pros and cons to each method I'd like to hear them. I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface here

I've noticed that when I have the virus plugin open, the latency on the virus itself seems minimal, but when I try to use my PUSH or other midi controllers (even my keyboard) everything is super laggy. This applies even when using the virus keys to play virtual instruments. Suggestions here?

That is super helpful! Good to know if I clear a patch I can still access it in the ROM banks. Maybe I can just make the whole RAM B Initialized in the plugin so I have clean slates to work with...

Hi all,

Is there a way to initialize a patch in single mode (or any mode i suppose)? This question refers to working with the hardware only btw, not the plugin. By default all the empty patches are really deep in the Rom banks. Its kind of annoying having to scroll all the way back there to start a sound, especially because I don't think you can save the patch back there, you have to move it to the RAM banks, and can't preview the sound you are about to overwrite.

Ideally, I'd like to find a patch I'm willing to overwrite, initialize it, and start from there. That would make things so much easier! Any tips here? I'm sure there must be a better way than what I'm doing, haha.

Thanks

You can kinda create an arp effect with a square wave LFO (1) modulating volume, and that have another one (LFO 2) gradually increase the rate of LFO 1. The problem I'm facing with this approach is the note length... I was hoping to have a really fast decay for the repeated note, but with a square wave LFO the note length is fixed, as far as I know at least. Suggestions?

Thanks for the reply! I also have a Nord Lead, and it has the option for a clocked or freerunning arp. Wasn't sure if this was standard or common, but i guess not. I was looking to make a patch that was a repeated note that slowly built up speed, ideally modulating the filter and amp envelopes over the build, til the arp was effectively a continuous sound. BPM is an interesting thing to look at, but it would have to be controlled manually I assume

Hi all,

Is it possible to run the arpeggiator without clock sync? Looking of gradual rate changes, and maybe one that is faster than 1/128. I know the LFO can be switched off sync... Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the feature was implemented over a decade ago, so the fact that they didn't either fix or remove it is a little disappointing. It would be really great if it worked... Do you know if there is a way to prevent Midi info being sent from the keyboard?

With all the vast assignments possible through the LFOs and Mod matrix, why can't we assign modulation to the rate of a clock synced LFO (rate is assignable when not synced to the clock), or the rate of the Arpeggiator? How is that not a thing? Or maybe I overlooked something? :/

Hi all,

This is my first post, and I'm new to the forum. Still learning its ways so if this is solved elsewhere I'm sorry to be redundant (I saw posts relating to it, but not solved). I'm using Ableton 10 on a PC with the Virus TI 2 controlled by the plugin. I'm trying to record an arpeggiated melody to Ableton's sequencer for editing, but when I turn on Arp Note Send in the config menu and bunch of strange things happen. First, the arpeggio (when on HOLD mode, or held down manually) might play once through, but will then start repeating just one note in the sequence, rendering the term "arpeggio" sadly inaccurate. Second, when I play chord changes the sequencer in Ableton tries to record the chords as well as the the note sfrom Arp Send, which makes things extra dysfunctional. What's going on here? Is there a way to disable the keyboard sending notes and have the virus only send the Arp info? I don't know if MIDI settings apply since the signal is going through the usb... Please help! Thanks :)