Beiträge von odd

Ok, so i wanted to test whether Sysex bulks are sent/received correctly for me as described here, but there doesn't seem to be any way for me to use MIDI via USB without using Virus Control because my DAW (Cubase Studio 4) doesn't list the mentioned "Virus TI Synth" MIDI port (there are also no additional devices listed in the MIDI Port Setup, only DirectMusic (my soundcard) and Windows MIDI).

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

[Blockierte Grafik: http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/712/missingvirustisynthmidi.th.png]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes, there is.
    See under midi outputs in your DAW. There is one called: "Virus Ti Synth"
    Select this one and your Virus acts like it's connected via normal midi cables but then over the USB cable

There is no such port listed anywhere in my sequencer (Cubase Studio 4) at all, that's why i'm asking ;) This may get a little offtopic, but you are using Cubase too, right? Is there an additional Virus MIDI device listed in the MIDI Port Setup, or is the "Virus Ti Synth" port only listed in the MIDI channels output port list?

Terratecs aren't made anymore iirc (it's a pity, they're good sounding, even too much for their price! and they work really smooth with windows x64) [...]

Yep, apart from the USB DMX 6Fire (which looks nice, and if it were an internal one i'd maybe choose that one) they now only do gaming/multimedia stuff, which really sucks, the EWX still sounds superb and i never had any problems with it until Win 7, unfortunately the drivers are totally outdated, though causing less BSODs than the ESI ones did, but they're especially causing problems with Flash Player and Virtualization which is pretty bad for me as an "also Flash Developer" :(

[...] so I'd advice you to try bring your virus to a friend's house with a copy of your sequencer and the software installer and hear if the bug stays there or not.

You mean in order to check if it's my setup or a faulty Virus? Guess that's a good idea...

I wish it were that easy... unfortunately only ESI has a card that isn't a "gaming card" and mets my requirements, the MAYA 44 with MI/ODI/IO addon (interestingly it looks like you can't get a new one over here in germany anymore, at least i couldn't find any shop that sells it anymore), i've already tried it some time ago and i had very bad experiences with it, it was working fine with XP x86, but with Win 7 x64 it was causing bluescreens over bluescreens, the weirdest one was, trying to connect to the internet with the router not beeing plugged in caused a BSOD by the soundcard driver :S So i switched back to my old Terratec EWX 24/96 and sold the MAYA...

For me using another PCI slot doesn't make any difference :( However, i'll build myself a complete new system once the new 32nm AMDs are available at a reasonable price, and i guess i'll also buy a new soundcard (though finding a "simple", Windows 7 x64 compatible internal one with optical digital input that supports 32kHz+ seems to be a pretty much impossible task :/), maybe a nice side effect will be that it fixes that problem, we'll see.

Add me to the list, it's happening once in a while for me too, after turning the Virus off and restarting Cubase it usually starts working again. If i remember correctly it also happened with the 3.x OS.

It's not that problemtic for me since it's only happening rarely, nonetheless it's annoying, especially when a restart doesn't solve it.

TI2
    OS 4.0.5.01
    Cubase 4.5.2 32Bit
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I always thought it was my fault, some kind of acoustic phenomena in my room... you shouldn't even need any analyzers, you can clearly hear that there is something going on, however even the vey basic Cubase Tuner plugin shows that it doesn't hold the frequency, sometimes A3 is locked at 440 Hz, and then again it's sliding between 435 and 444 Hz which is when you can hear that it's slowly going up and down and left and right... i can also actively trigger this behaviour too by doing the ASIO reset.

It doesn't sound like analog emulation or phase shifting, but even if it was, why would that only happen sometimes, ie it's holding the tune fine for 10 minutes, and then all of a sudden analog emulation and/or phase shifting kicks in? Doesn't make much sense to me :huh:

Everytime the Virus MIDI driver crashes my system the Virus has to be resynced on the next startup, and i've noticed that it says "this might take a couple of seconds", but actually it always takes something around 8-10 minutes.

So is there maybe something wrong, should it be way faster? Or should the text instead simply say "a couple of minutes"?

To be honest i can perfectly understand him, TI/VCP is out now for a while, and it's still struggeling with such teething problems, with every update some problems are fixed, but new ones are introcuded (at least for me :/). For example with OS4 the arpeggio is now totally cranked up for me, it's out of synch, it's jumping and stumbling while it was perfectly fine with OS3, though with OS3 others complained about sync problems - where is this going to end up?

Everyone knows that writing software for various OS and DAWs isn't that easy, but after ~5 years it's finally time for a stable version if you ask me, but instead more and more features are added, that's what many software is suffering from, featuritis - kind of. In the software world every once in a while there must be a feature freeze, giving the developers time to fix bugs and stuff, and personally i think that should have happend before OS4.

I love the Virus, but VCP is annoying me since i bought the TI one year ago, and integrating it via Audio instead of USB (like my old Virus A and B which are still in use) is getting more and more tempting. If someone would ask me if it's a good idea to buy it, well, if he would only want it because of the "Total Integration" capability, then my answer would also be no, not until it's finally stable.

Anyone else experiencing arpeggio sync problems when playing a loaded patch for the first time? It's stumbling like some drunken guy, and after a few seconds it finally syncs, and then works fine until the patch or the project is reloaded. Also it happens only when playing, not when recording...

Win 7 x64
    Cubase Studio 4.5.2 x86
    TI2

[...] Very glad to see this update. I am surprised however that the 'fine tuning of the GUI in Windows 7' is still not fixed, how much longer approximately?

I'd love to know that too, the GUI and the continuous BSoDs are problems that make using my Virus extremely exhausting, everything's slow and sluggish, and then it's a 3 in 5 chance that the system crashes when shutting the Virus down... the fun is finally gone :/

I often run into polyphony limit problems too, mostly with pads that have a longer tail, at one point the virus steals voices so that you can really hear notes stopping abruput, that's pretty annoying. And these patches aren't neccessarily very complex, but mostly using 3 x Unison and Split Mode Filter, and that seems to be too much, but unfortunately often that's what makes these patches sound so wide and powerful ;(

I'm always trying to reduce unsison and use the Hypersaw where possible since it says that it will only use a 1 voice no matter how many paralell oscillators are used, but that's not always an option, it sounds too different.

I whish there would be a voice count display so that we could actually see how many voices are currently used, that would make optimizing patches sooo much easier... but i'm getting a little offtopic.

Simply upload your pictures to one of the numerous of image/file hosting services out there, for example:

http://imageshack.us/
    http://www.imagevenue.com/
    http://tinypic.com/
    http://www.imagehost.org/

Most of them automatically create appropriate forum links for you, in this case you would have to use the ones with BB-Code, sometimes also refered to as Forum-Code. Then simply add these links to your post, make sure the "Enable BBCode in this message" option is checked and submit your post.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4048/howtopostimage.th.png]