Posts by AtonyB

Yeah, but do you really think you will get the same standard of synth on the PC without it eating your CPU for brekfast.

Multiple instances my ass - think NI massive and add a couple of noughts on...

as powercore and the virus demonstrate, there are some things that are still best left to dedicated hardware (for now, anyway...)

Also, the above method for solving the 'failed to install' problem didn't work either.

VC doesnt work and the virus TI midi driver doesnt work either (but im not sure that ever worked) - I installed it manually and it says 'device failed to start'

Well a lot of people have a distorted view on what 'true analogue' sounds like - to the point where they've said something that is actually analogue is not 'true analogue' without realising...

True analogue is a myth - just like the myth that vinyl sounds better (true, vinyl has a unique quality that some people prefer - which could and has been faked without too much trouble).

Just as soon as the technology improves - and I believe that the Virus is one of the few modern synths that can pull it off convincingly at the moment - mimicking analogue filters will be easy (and i mean mimicking in as much as one 'such and such' filter sounds like another of the same...).

Besides all that, i much prefer to have an imperfect filter in digital, where i can have endless instances of it, to a single analogue filter which i had to pay through the nose for...

Latency is a different kettle of fish to bandwidth and CPU load...

I don't actually know which of Firewire and USB have inherantly better latency, but i'm sure the quality of drivers have a lot to do with it, too...

I really don't think there is much you can do about the whole USB channel business - sure access could but a mountain of development work to get USB 2.0 working (which it would take), but would people on laptops (who are the only ones that are really vulnerable here) really find themselves managing to cope with the extra channels (ie do they have enough bandwidth in their computer, never mind the USB).

People with PCs... Buy a multi channel sound card and some cables - double your channels! (common you already shelled out on the virus, you might as well get the pc hardware to do it justice - and yes that does include a dedicated USB pci card! :D )

It would be nice to not only be able to lock parts, but be able to save parts as a 'sub-preset' for arrangements you use a lot...

Many times I have wished - argh this would be awesome if i used the same Chorus effect as this other preset, and have had to trawl through my library to go and get it, rather than selecting a drop box from the section and selecting a saved preset...

Maybe you can just select the preset itself in the list and VC just grabs the chorus bit from that preset...

I might be alone on this - as the section locking is pretty powerful, i also reckon that this would be hard to implement on the virus itself, where it would be REALLY helpful...

It would be nice to be able to set the rate of mod effects ( i mean chorus and phase, here) and then have a 'phase' or 'manual' parameter which you can link in the mod matrix if you like, so you can move about the fx as you please...

Maybe somebody already knows a good workaround you can use at the moment...?

I agree, this can be a problem - less so on VC, though.

I find that when selecting wavetables, there are 'missing' levels - that is i sloooooooowly turn the dial and it jumps from 11-13 (if i go back and forth several times - the speed doesnt seem to matter - then it gets it in the end).

It is, as mentioned above, really hard to get a clean saw.

I know this can be solved by using the Value +/- keys and changing the operation of the <-parameters-> keys to jump across the three rather than just a page - but doing that makes things really slow (by a factor of 3, oddly enough...)

I only think this is something that can be solved on a theoretical TI3 or something where the three soft knobs click as well as turn to select the param - then you can have a jog wheel somewhere to get the dynamic precision you might need....