Beiträge von Ace17

SOS: I upgraded my computer to a faster one.
    - I still clearly hear the crackling on the test project you sent me
    - I can't hear any crackle using the patch "Chapel MS" (which is a very nice patch BTW). I tried playing 5-6 notes chords, from my MIDI keyboard, from a sequencer ; I tried to play/stop the sequencer... I can't have crackling at all. I'm using Ableton Live, VC of course, with the USB audio outputs.

I think it's an interesting difference, because "Chapel MS" is a lot more complicated patch than "GENTLE" (the one in the test project you sent me).
    In fact, if I take your sample project, and I replace your "GENTLE" patch by "Chapel MS", I don't hear any crackling! 8|
    What a pity I did not test "Chapel MS" on my previous computer!

edit: clarity :D

Ok, let's get back to the subjet! :)

I would be very interested in hearing samples comparing raw oscillators from different synths. I'd like to hear how an oscillator could be more "punchy", because it's a mystery for me!
    Sarrova, would you be kind enough to post some samples?

edit: found this:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

... Maybe you're an asshole if you want :huh: what i'm saying is very appropriate , right. mature ...

Yeah! :thumbup:

so please tell me the name of you 're friend and the name of that company :whistling: I think you're lying

His name is **************** He worked at Arturia, on the "Origin" synthesizer. Maybe he lied to me too? :rolleyes:

This was my last answer, I'm done with you. Goodbye! :)

You can't prove that is more harder.

I'm a software developer for real-time embedded systems, and I can clearly tell you don't have a clue what you're talking about when it comes to software development. Of course it is harder!

And this is because you don't know what operating system Virus is using .

Could you please explain what difference does the operating system make? By the way, did you notice that the file firmware.bin, used by the Virus firmware updater, was only 8MB big?

I think that Access needs just to work a few weeks for a new set of oscillators & filters . :thumbup:

A friend of mine used to work in a concurrent synthesizer company. He told me that one oscillator took in general at least 3 monthes to develop. And that it was far from being easy. Try to read some papers about alias-free sound synthesis.

I can't wait :D

That's the best recipe for getting bugs. I'm sick about people crying at Access because their setup isn't working, e.g "Access should be ashamed", "the product simply does not work", "I'm selling it because I can't make music with it" ... while at the same time asking for new features.
    Also, don't forget that once a new feature is released, you can never change how it sounds. You can't remove it either. I'd rather have to stick with carefully designed features.

By the way, with all due respect, could you please stop being an asshole? Don't you realize what you're saying is inappropriate, wrong, immature, and even insulting?

Bagpula, maybe you should have a look at this thread

Quoted from Marc :
    "as for the aliasing, the interesting part is which virus oscillators are up for comparison. the "old" ones, the classic models, especially the sine, yes - those are not aliasing free. we kept those in the original state from +13 years ago. but the new oscillators (for instance the wavetable oscillator) are aliasing free. so you have both options."

for how long ?. I mean they are too short :P . I expect at least 200 episodes to be satisfied :D only for every matrix parameter to be explained in detail takes at least 50 to 60's episodes .Long live the series :P

I find Bootcamp tutorials extremely instructive and inspiring! Although I would be glad to have 200 episodes, reading your posts make me think you're looking for reasons to be disappointed! :S
    1) Most of the Virus parameters are self explanatory, and have names common to nearly all virtual analogue synthesizers ...
    2) You have a right to experiment by yourself with your Virus, sound design is all about tweaking and hearing...
    3) You also have a right to watch other sound design tutorial videos on youtube. Vanguard, Massive, Sylenth, Synth1, etc : most of what's explained also applies to the Virus (Ok, not FM7 nor Sytrus :D )

Here's a blind how-to that will help you setup your environment.

• Install MIDI Yoke, and configure it so you have at least 2 virtual MIDI ports. You may have to reboot your computer after that.

• At this point, if you open the MIDI configuration of your favorite DAW, you should see additional ports.

In the MIDI output ports :
      "Out To MIDI Yoke: 1"
      "Out To MIDI Yoke: 2"

And in the MIDI input ports :
      "In From MIDI Yoke: 1"
      "In From MIDI Yoke: 2"
      Close your DAW at this point.

• Install MIDI-OX, and launch it.
    • Go to Options->Customize Port Names.

• Rename "In From MIDI Yoke: 1" to "To Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y1)".
      • Rename "Out To MIDI Yoke: 1" to "To Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y1)".
      • Rename "In From MIDI Yoke: 2" to "From Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y2)".
      • Rename "Out To MIDI Yoke: 2" to "From Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y2)".

• Go to Options->Midi devices.

• In the top-left part of the dialog box ("MIDI Inputs:"), select :

• "Virus TI Synth"
        • "To Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y1)"
        • "From Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y2)"

• In the bottom-left part of the dialog box ("MIDI Outputs:"), do the same, select :

• "Virus TI Synth"
        • "To Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y1)"
        • "From Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y2)"

• Now, you can close the "Midi devices" dialog box.

• Now, go to View->Port Routings.

• Right click in the window, and click "Disconnect All".
      • Connect the input port "To Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y1)" to the output port "Virus TI Synth".
      • Connect the input port "Virus TI Synth" to the output port "From Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y2)".

• That's all for MIDI-OX. But don't close it, it needs to stay opened.

• Now, open your DAW, go to the MIDI configuration, and make sure it's NOT outputing to "Virus TI Synth". Make it output to "Out To MIDI Yoke: 1" instead. (MIDI-OX will forward data to Virus TI Synth).
    • Instanciate my plugin, and at the bottom of the window, select :

• As input : "In From MIDI Yoke: 2" (aka "From Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y2)").
      • As output : "Out To MIDI Yoke: 1" (aka "To Virtual Virus TI Synth (Y1)").

• Click "recv" on part 1. If the name of the patch appears in the plugin, bingo! It's been downloaded from the Virus.
    • From now, if you want to recall a patch for a part, click "Send" on that part. If you save your project, the plugin state will also be stored.
    • If you load a project, you will need to open the plugin window, and click "Send" on the part you want to restore (I'm working on a version which automatically does this on project loading)
    • Create a MIDI track, route it normally to "Out To MIDI Yoke: 1", as you would have done with good old MIDI devices.

Here's a technical explanation of why all of this is necessary, although I'm still trying to find a way to talk to the Virus driver (rather than talking MIDI). The problem is you can't open twice the "Virus TI Synth" port from the same process (although you can have two applications talking to "Virus TI Synth"). I believe the limitation does NOT comes from the Access MIDI driver, which is kernel mode and allows multiple connections, but from the Microsoft user-mode wrapping above this driver.

But the plugin needs to talk directly to "Virus TI Synth" (to send/receive SYSEX), and the DAW needs too (to send MIDI clock, and of course, MIDI events). So the solution is to create a virtual MIDI device which accepts several connections, and which redirects MIDI traffic from/to the real "Virus TI Synth" !

Please, if I'm not clear, tell me! :)

I think a generalized "destination learn" feature in the modulation matrix would do the job better : it wouldn't be restricted to modulation pedal.
    Example:
    You want to select "Reverb Send" as output #1 of slot 1.
    Instead of searching for "Reverb Send" through the big list, you just select the first entry, "Learn", which is a special entry. The Virus then waits for the next manually tweaked parameter, and selects it.

So, when playing live, you just have to have your pedal already configured as modulation source 1.
    If you want to quickly reassign it, enter mod matrix, turn the "value 3" button at its maximum, and tweak the desired parameter.

What do you think?

Hi Marc, nice to see you on this topic!

I confirm all what SOS said :)

Some precisions:
    - I have selected "analog output" for this test
    - I can hear the crackles through headphones plugged to the Virus.
    - The crackles always occur at the same time as note.

Is the Virus note-stealing policy different when being controlled by Virus Control ?

User error? Please. I have been a user since January 2006, back when OS 1 was going to be the big fix for everyone. Over the years I have been fortunate enough to not have many of the problems that users have experienced, or at least found workarounds. However, recently (over the last year or so), I have been experiencing audio crackling to a degree that makes Virus Control unusable. I'm talking single patches and low polyphony. Jorg from Access Music has already confirmed that crackling occurs when using VC that does not occur in stand alone.

It could still be "user error" at this point. Or, let's rather say, configuration issues, or hardware incompatibilities.

What I'm convinced is that there exist some computers running VC flawlessly, starting by the computers at Access. I can't imagine them releasing it without seeing it working!

I have a suggestion:

Why not make a list of the configurations of these working computers? I mean, for each working PC, one would write its full hardware list, Windows version, VC version, and sequencer name and version.
    Let's go further and also make a list of the non-working configurations (I think this one is going to increase a lot faster than the first one :D ).

This would allow interesting comparisons, and may allow some folks to solve their issues by upgrading their PC to make it work with the Virus. I don't think Access has a lot of PCs to test the VC. But we have! So this could be a great help for everyone, because by doing this, we're going to understand what's wrong on the non-working PCs.

If you guys think it's a good idea, I'm going to create a dedicated thread. Unless it's already been done?

Cheers

Mine already failed after 2 years. It used to blow the fuses when connecting MIDI out (any contact with the ground, actually).
    I got a new one from my reseller. So I guess there may be room for improvement on the power supply side :D

But let me ask you a question then... Are you running Virus Control smoothly; i.e. no clicks, pos, zipper noises, sync issues etc.?

I don't use the Virus Control. It's too slow to load, and the display of the VC window eats up nearly half my CPU!
    I use my own MIDI-only plugin ( see this thread ) to control the TI. :P
    It does no audio, it only saves and restore the synth state when saving and loading a project. Because it needs to communicate with the synth with MIDI sysexes, it completely bypasses the host and directly connects to a MIDI device (it can be "Virus TI Synth" (MIDI over USB), or "M-Audio MIDI device" (play-old MIDI), or anything else).