Normally, I think an update like this should be free. But given the lack of communication by Access, I can only presume that they don't have enough money to finance this project. So yes, I would be willing to pay up to $100 for a an update.
Wonder how Elektron will deal with that for Overbridge? They were using the same reference driver.
Maybe they'll implement something of their own?
I think they already did. If Elektron is able to do it, I don't see why Access isn't.
Well maybe all should start posting on the kemper forums and start asking questions there? Nobody is replying here from the company, it feels like a ghost town of abandoned virus users...
Another option is to ask our questions and share our disappointment on their Kemper social network, like Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kemperamps_official
This way we can let possible Kemper buyers know that Access/Kemper is ignoring their customers.
But remember, whenever tempted to buy Kemper gear again, their software might have a very limited life span.
It looks like their Kemper amp software for macOS has the same issue. It stops at 10.13 according to their website.
I wouldn't care about system integrity protection if I could make the Virus TI plugin work. What kind of changes are you trying to make to the kernel extensions?
Yes, the complete lack of communication from Access is disturbing. I'm shopping for an Amp modeler and was considering purchasing a Kemper, but I will certainly buy the Positive Grid BIAS head or the Line 6 Helix instead.
I've never seen such a lack of communication from a company before. It looks like they really don't care about their customers.
OK Big Sur is released as well as Logic Pro 10.6. I can't install the new version of Logic because I'm stuck on 10.14.6 to keep my Virus TI compatible.
Access, why don't you update the plugin? Is that a money issue? Would it help to create a fundraising page?
Like DJTobes I am annoyed mostly by the non-communication, if they stopped development just say so. If they are having problems, just let the community know, maybe we can even help finding solutions. Another option would have been releasing the plugins/drivers as open source so we could as community can do it what they aren't doing.
Exactly! Some transparency from Access is required here. Just let your userbase know if you plan to find a solution or not.
Sold my virus guys i ain't waiting any longer. I'm absolute gutted, worked so hard to buy thus been let down big time. i suggest you all do the same. Access as a company you are a piece of shit.
How much did you sell it? I'm afraid with the current incompatibilities it is not worth much.
The wait is getting ridiculous. It shouldn't take years to update a plugin. If they stop supporting it, then they should release an official statement.
Thank you for your email. We're sorry to say but we do not have any news on macOS Catalina compatibility at this point.
We will post news once available.
With best regards,
Access Music Support
That's a copy/paste of the same answer I received. Meanwhile, Big Sur and ARM-based Macs are announced and still no news from Access. This is ridiculous.
Did any of you see the statement in the support section where you download drivers? They say it clearly there, that VC and USB audio won't work, and that there won't be any development "for the foreseeable future". Doesn't seem to make sense to hope for new drivers in this thread... https://www.virus.info/news/re…y/182/lang/en/#_entry_182
They say that "Virus Control Center doesn't work anymore and there will be no replacement for the forseeable future." They are talking about the 32-bit Virus Control Center app, which is different from the Virus Control plugin.
I really hope to have a Catalina compatible version of Virus Control soon. I don't care about theVirus Control Center.
Good luck. You'll probably get the same auto-response most of us got.
Here is my question...
"Hi, Now that there is a CoreAudio Ploytec driver for Catalina, do you plan to update the Virus plug-in for Catalina support? https://www.usb-audio.com/download"
And here is their reply :
"It is a bit more complicated than that. We do not have news on macOS Catalina support at this point. We will post news once available.
With best regards,
Access Music Support"
You'd think wouldn't you? It was released March 31st, still not a peep here from Access though. Zilch nada. Not even a "we're working on it" or even a "not a hope, it's over" message. Until then, us faithful Mac users will have to keep this thread alive!
I just wrote support to ask for an official answer...