Beiträge von gravity

here is three modulation-targets i'd love to see in the future:

"Character Intensity" - modulating the mix parameter of "Analog Boost", "Stereo Widener" or "Speaker Cabinet"
    "Frequency Shifter Mix" - already mentioned in other threads but once again
    "Filter Bandwidth" in Tape Delay

...to be continued

linking and cross-morphing two or more patches would be a nice feature, indeed;
    but due to the Virus' architecture it's not necessarily worth the effort, i'm afraid;
    i have the feature in NI's FM8 which allows automated morphing between four patches, which can produce very interesting sounds but this doesn't happen often plus the transitions are far from smooth;
    just thinking of synced lfo modulations or osc models, i believe there is too much hassle to implement for having a slight chance to achieve nice sounding results; :S

hey genelec,

using the "External Instrument" plugin for the Ti is pretty much the same like with kontakt or any multichannel vsti,
    though since the Virus is connected via usb, the bandwith is limited;

you have a maximum of three stereo (or six mono) outs being streamed from the Ti;
    (clicking on "Patch / Utility" in the VC you can edit the "USB Audio Mode")

now when you load up a few patches you can seperate their "Main Outs" to the desired channels and stream those
    with the "External Instrument" plugin just like with kontakt;

when you have more than three stereo patches, the outputs from the Virus work more like subgroups being
    mixed within the VC, making the use of the "External Instrument" plugin unnecessary, since you can use plain
    midi-tracks to feed the 16 parts;
    if still using the "External Instrument" and you have multiple sounds on one stereo out, make sure you leave only
    one gain at zero db, unless you want to double the tracks;

best regards, gravity

i'm in on this one,
    a compressor would certainly enhance the character,

the built in compressor in U-he's Zebra2 is a good example how it could be done, i suggest,
    since it's not quite a common comp what you have in your daw/rack, but very effective as a sound-design tool;

an additional comp would also enable you to add some extra gain on patches which lack loudness, but do
    not profit from using a distortion stage;

best regards, gravity

i agree that it would be more elegant to just bend the envelopes to the desired shape,
    but i don't see anything unsafe about the existing method...

however, you could have cleared things up that you're asking for an alternative in the first place

hey woodster77,

this is possible ever since. refering to the "programming analog synths" tutorial,
    here is an example:
    eg you want a plucky decay,

- take an "init" or any patch and set the "Amp Env Sustain" to zero (so the effect is most obvious);
    - go to "Matrix" and set "Amp Envelope" as source and "Amp Env Decay" as destination and
    - turn the slot-amount about halfway down,

now when you play a note you will notice that the amp decay curve has a concave character.
    respectively, if you turn the slot-amount up, you will get a convex envelope shape.

note that turning up the slot-amount has the opposite effect when changing the attack-curve, but
    the principle remains the same.
    of course, this also works for the filter-envelope.

best regards, gravity