Beiträge von boreg

which effect does the rectifier produce? to me it seems that it cuts off the negative phase of the oscillator?

From the name "rectifier", I suppose that's what it does. If you really want to know, download an oscilloscope plugin (e.g. S(m)exoscope if you're on Windows) and see for yourself.

i would like to have some kind of a rectifier that only cuts off the high frequencies

That's a lowpass filter 8) it's also available as a filter overdrive mode.

Say you program the OT to send Program Change message for Multi #35. The multi will change, but the patch on Part 1 (which happens to be on the global channel) will react to this message as well, and switch to Patch #35. [Note: it's been a while since I tested it, but that's what I remember from my experiments. You're welcome to try it yourself] Since you don't want this, you have two options:
    set the global MIDI channel to one you don't use for playing (e.g. 16), or disable Program Change for multi part 1.

Flabberbob is right. There is a setting in Config menu that enables switching multis with Program Change messages. The patch on the Global MIDI channel will change too. Not sure how you overcome this on the Snow (I have the TI desktop) - maybe you can use e.g. channels 1-4 for the Multi and any other channel (5-16) as global. Alternatively, you can set any part in a multi to ignore program change messages.

Hope this helps 8)

As far as I understand, for S/PDIF connection it is important that the two devices (Virus and souncard) are synchronized. Otherwise you'll likely get unpleasant artifacts. At least, I did when I tried it.
    So I tried to synchronize the Virus to the souncard (MOTU Ultralite mk3), but it didn't like that, saying something to the effect "Bad clock at SPDIF input".
    So I tried the reverse, Virus the master and MOTU the slave - the sound was OK, but then the MOTU wouldn't work at all unless Virus is on.
    So I decided it's not worth the hassle and gave up, using USB or analog ever since.

Just my experience, yours may be different :)

Hi all,

Up until yesterday, Virus Control used to work flawlessly on my setup (TI OS 4.5, Windows 7 64-bit, Reaper 32-bit). The latency is huge, but otherwise everything was fine - VC initialized without a hitch and worked properly.
    Yesterday I started getting the dreaded "communication error" message -

Zitat

A Communication error has occurred. The Virus TI does not respond to request messages or the transmitted data is corrupt. Please be aware that the RAM banks in the browser window will not correspond to the actual content in the device! Please check your system setup.

I've no idea what could have changed to cause this. Most definitely I didn't change the USB configuration or install any hardware or software.
    I did have a session when I modified a few patches on the Virus hardware (without VC), but then, that's what synchronization is supposed to handle, isn't it?

The following didn't help:

• Restarting the Virus (disconnect USB and power supply, wait 10 seconds)
    • Restarting the computer
    • Disabling antivirus
    • Running Reaper with or without Administrator privileges

Any ideas for troubleshooting? I'm at loss here...

A question about the new mod sources in OS5 ("AnaKeyFine" etc).
    I expected them to be general-purpose sources of random fluctuations, but when I route them to anything other than pitch (e.g., filter cutoff), they seem to have no effect. Are they really designed to modulate oscillator pitch only, and nothing else?

I doubt you can plug an S/PDIF output (digital) to an analog audio input. Or does your hi-fi really have an S/PDIF input?
    Anyway, if the problem persists using the S/PDIF output, this would rule out a blown D/A converter.

An indicator on LCD wouldn't be that useful IMO.
    I think the OP is talking about the arpeggiator tab in VC, which is where you actually edit the arp pattern.
    Now this gets a +1 from me 8)

From my experience, it works in Reaper. The only serious problem is huge latency, ~5000 samples, making it unusable for any kind of live playing. I work around it by drawing notes with the mouse, luckily I make electronic music :P
    Switching Virus Control to LIVE mode brings latency down to acceptable level, but the timing of sequenced parts starts to drift - so you can use it for playing, but not for sequencing.

Why don't you try it yourself and let us know how it works for you?

I can upload a sample Reaper project with Virus Control plugin, but in fact it's really straightforward.
    Right-click on the track control panel, choose "Insert virtual instrument on new track..." and select the "Virus TI" plugin.
    You'll be offered to add 16 tracks for 16 MIDI channels, I suggest you accept this option.
    (note though that I have a TI Desktop and a separate controller keyboard... not sure how it is with a keyboard Virus).

hope this helps

You can't prove that is more harder. And this is because you don't know what operating system Virus is using . Maybe is Linux.

Admittedly, I have nothing to prove it, but I'm 99.99999% certain that Virus uses a custom OS developed by Access.

And adding new filters and new OSC takes little space. Maybe a few mega bytes or so .

For all we know, Virus might have a few megabytes of RAM for the whole OS. Again, you keep thinking in PC terms, but in embedded systems, a few MB is a lot!

So i think they update this board so often because this process is not really so hard .. :thumbup:. I think that Access needs just to work a few weeks for a new set of oscillators & filters . :thumbup: I can't wait :D

Yeah, it's a piece of cake :D just give them a few weeks 8)

@Sarrova, your post is spot on! Agreed 100%.

I really can't understand how Omnisphere was updated with 50 filters until now and the mooore expensive Virus stays with only 5 filters over the years ..

You really can't? Do you realize that it's much easier to add features to a software product, than cram stuff into limited RAM and horsepower that a hardware synth has?
    Especially considering that general-purpose CPUs keep getting faster, while Virus hardware is basically unchanged since it was introduced in 2005
    [yes, I know about 25% CPU increase in the TI2, but really, it's nothing compared to increase in PC CPU speeds during that period]