No more features before troubleshooting!!!

• Yes that´s my opinion!
    Before we watch out for more cool features for our dream synth ACCESS should troubleshoot all the smaller or bigger bugs we have now with OS4.
    I know some but I don´t want to list now. Out there in this forum we have many threads about buggy behavior from the VIRUS.
    I recommend ACCESS to fix these bugs to keep us customers satisfied.
    We gave a lot of money for a 100% product and we expect this 100%.
    And I think if the VIRUS is healthy again ACCESS will have more power than ever to bring us more features for the maybe best hard/software synth on planet.
    One of the most important things in production is reliability.
    Don´t you agree?? 8) [MSIE_newline_end ]

• You will never have an entirely bug free system, though, whether they decide to call it a beta or not - bugs will always continue to arise and be dealt with, through users updating/altering there system and through teething problems with new features...

I guess its just a balancing act - and maybe some people feel the balance has shifted towards tolerating too many problems...

All I know is that I dont really suffer from any bugs - aside from occasionally getting a BSOD from VTIMIDI.sys (or whatever its called) when my virus disconnects via USB (by taking cable out or going into standby).

Its very annoying, but I just have to remember to avoid turning it off or save things if I must (i have electricity bills to consider).

Anyway - It has long been the case that point releases (1.0,2.0,3.0, etc.) are feature releases and subpoint releases are for bug fixes (4.05, 4.1, etc.) - so if you guys are in a situation where expected operation is critical, you know which versions to avoid, especially just bug fix releases; If its doing what you need it to do, then don't bother.

• the thing is tho

ACCESS VIRUS NOW HAS A REPUTATION THAT IS KNOWN WORLD OVER AS A SYNTH THAT CANNOT PERFORM IT'S DUTIES 100%

some people chose to ignore this and believe that "You will never have an entirely bug free system"

If ACCESS are happy to go on marketing and selling a synth that is :

"Multiple award-winning hardware synthesizer
    with Total Integration plug-in technology
    Unparalleled Sound

The Virus is a icon in the history of electronic music, known for its excellent sound and outstanding presets.

Made to perform

Loads of tactile controls make the Virus TI a dream for performers and those who like to tweak sounds.
    Total Integration

Marry a virtual instrument plug-in with a hardware synthesizer and enjoy the most powerful combination possible.
    Free software upgrades

Continuing Access' policy of free feature updates since 1997."

..............when it actually contains bug's ???????? Seriously, then maybe a change of Person in Charge might help.

Funny.......i don't see Access mention that their synth will always contain bugs on their webpage???!!!!!!!

• I'm sure Access work on the principle that you can't please all of the people all of the time. ESPECIALLY when you are dealing with some very angry people.

Countless people, the best of professionals and the newest of newbies alike get on just fine. The virus is unique - there is nothing that even comes close to the quality of sound that the virus can produce and it is wonderful to work with - I keep looking to other things to widen my range of sounds, but always come back to the virus discovering that actually it can already do it - and better.

Bugs here and there are a common feature of modern technology - Access have to suffer this as they made the decision to be innovative and push the envelope (filter or amp, im not sure :D ). Why don't things from KORG have all these bugs... well, some do, but mostly its because they have been repackaging the same old crap for years, Access don't do this - if they release something you know it will be new and you just won't have heard it before.

I suggest you stop moaning, fill out support forms, carefully describe your problems without descending into this irrational rage and actually help access to comb out these problems with a customer service paralleled by very few. In the mean time, actually enjoy the fact that you have one of the worlds best synths that you will probably never need to spend another penny on and yet continue to get new sounds out of.

I had the virus TI since TI OS 1 - and I managed to get work done and I was happy to be patient. There are countless threads on here explaining how to get around various issues, and perhaps you can ask other people nicely how they do it if it hasn't already been discussed, or even think of something new.

I'm sick to death of people whining all the time, I swear if I see another thread like "waa waa waa, my virus isnt perfect, Access shouldn't call themselves proffessional despite me not having a clue what is involved in achieving what they are trying to do!" I'm going to scream.

[Rant /]

X(

• Great response AtonyB i could have not said it better my self, I also Own a Virus ti2 Desktop and for me its PERFECT!!!!!!!!!

Great work Access and thanks for continuing to push boundaries on this product.

• [...] All I know is that I dont really suffer from any bugs - aside from occasionally getting a BSOD from VTIMIDI.sys (or whatever its called) when my virus disconnects via USB (by taking cable out or going into standby).

Its very annoying, but I just have to remember to avoid turning it off or save things if I must (i have electricity bills to consider) [...]

Ahhh, glad to see that i'm not the only one. That has already caused more BSODs for me then my old 3 year old 64 bit beta soundcard driver did :(

Great response AtonyB i could have not said it better my self, I also Own a Virus ti2 Desktop and for me its PERFECT!!!!!!!!!

Great work Access and thanks for continuing to push boundaries on this product.

You guys simply have to understand that there are many people out there having problems with it. It's nice that it's working fine for you, however that doesn't make it any better for us who are experiencing problems over problems!

• You guys simply have to understand that there are many people out there having problems with it.

But how many have problems? I also have not had any issues either with OS4 up to now. I sure appreciate having the new features, too :love:

We definitely understand some people have serious problems but it seems to me that Access is making a good faith effort to work out the kinks.

• Well, having a look at the problems forum, i'd say that's enough to do a little more of fixing. As a softwaredeveloper myself i know from experience that one person complaining in our forums stands for x-times more people that simply live with the problem, not reporting it to us, even though they are annoyed of it, that's a very common phenomenon in the software world.

I mean, see the BSOD problem that AtonyB metioned, I've only found one other person complaining about it in the forum, but that's already three people with more ore less different setups, considering the amount of TIs out there that indicates that statistically there must be many more people out there experiencing the same problem.

• I mean, see the BSOD problem that AtonyB metioned, I've only found one other person complaining about it in the forum, but that's already three people with more ore less different setups, considering the amount of TIs out there that indicates that statistically there must be many more people out there experiencing the same problem.

let me give you an update on the BSOD problem: we know that there is a problem. the midi driver was 3rd party contracted work and the party in question is looking into the issue but it will takes time, since they are busy with other things. so far they were not able to replicate the problem, so they cannot fix it. in general, i'd say the problem is rare and very dependent on the PCs configuration/timing. statistically, i'd say it's a rather rare problem.

best, marc

• I wonder if those of you who think that the Virus is perfect actually use it that often, or indeed know how to.

And to the gentleman who thinks that Korg have been 'repackaging the same crap for years' has he used any of their equipment or Roland's or Yamaha's? Oddly, their stuff works fine after 30 odd years of use when it was groundbreaking crap and will continue to do so. My Virus went back to Germany a month after purchase as the CPU was faulty. Don't get me wrong, the Virus YI is an excellent concept but I would have thought that fter having been in production for five years some of the fundamental problems which keep manifesting themselves would have been resolved by now.

Regards

• some people chose to ignore this and believe that "You will never have an entirely bug free system"

But it's true. I'm an engineer by trade and once a software system gets large enough, it's impossible to not have some bugs. The amount of testing involved to try to check every possible configuration that might get used is endless. The only question is will every user trip over the bug or only a small number of users.

the Virus TI is an excellent concept but I would have thought that fter having been in production for five years some of the fundamental problems which keep manifesting themselves would have been resolved by now.

It's every interesting to me that after five years noone else has tried to duplicate the TI idea although it seems like a no-brainer. There are a few synths that let you use the editor as a VST and some that let you route audio over USB (but not as a VST) but noone else has tried to do both (there are some FX processors like the Focusrite Liquid Mix, but why no synths?).

The main problems I see discussed here over and over again have to do with latency and clock stability, neither of which are issues unique to the TI. Maybe it's a tougher nut to crack then people assume? Go to the forum for any DAW and you'll see plenty of similar complaints. Lots of finger pointing that it's the other vendor who is causing the problem, etc.

OK, I'm done trying to be a voice of reason :wacko: