I can finally see how bad the midi sync is

• I've used various sequencers in the past, cubase, protools, currently ableton.

I have had sync problems with this thing since DAY 1.

I've been tinkering around with different setups and thought I'd try something new.

So.

I have the virus hooked up to my PC running ableton 8.21

I have an MPC2500 sending midi start/stop to the virus with midi, then to Ableton via the virus USB to MIDI.

I can watch the tempo go up and down chaotically while live's "external sync switch" is on.

I have tempo set at 128 on the MPC and ableton is showing the fluctuation anywhere from 118 to 135 randomly.

I opened the virus tutorial in ableton to make sure everything was set-up properly.

Then I muted all the tracks except "trance plugs" and like another virus user said prior, the virus sounds "drunk" as it's sync is going crazy.

What's funny is I open a vsti drum sequencer and loop a 4/4 kick and then loop a kick on the MPC, they stay almost perfectly in sync as the virus is horribly off.

WHY DOESN'T THE VIRUS SYNC PROPERLY?!?!?

Midi or USB, hardware or software, I haven't got it to sync proper since I've had the damn thing and I'm pretty pissed now than I can see a visual confirmation of what it's doing...

• Yes thats how it is. You just have to get deal with it.... : ?( I have had those syncing problems since I bought the hole thing...nice sound but horrible integration. Every time I say something about this someone lectures me that I have some driver or OS issues...no, the problem is the Virus.

Only help I can give is the usb-connection: is your connection using the same hub?

• I'm not certain the sync problems are the fault of the Virus.

This "drunk" effect can happen whenever you are sending MIDI time clock through multiple machines.

In the past I've used all manner of groove boxes & drum machines as the master. Whenever I've had this problem I've always found the best solution is to have everything synced to the sequencer time clock, in your case Ableton. Also try not to have too many things lined up in series as the further down the chain you get the more noticeable the effect can be.

Isaacanthony you said yourself when you use the MPC & loop a 4/4 kick they almost stay in sync, you should be able to set things up so they stay absolutely bang on sync with each other. Try different MIDI configurations & see if that helps, is it possible to have the MPC connect to Ableton then Ableton connect to the virus?

• The timing will still get unstable with just ableton and the virus.

My point is: I can actually SEE the tempo off when I use hardware to send Ableton clock through the virus, it's not just this abstract thing that's happening anymore...