Oscillators as Modulation Source

• I haven't seen this particular request come up recently, so I am hoping to keep the idea in the air…somewhere.

Can/will we ever see Oscillators 1, 2 and/or 3 as a Modulation Source?

Please, can we have Oscillators 1,2 and/or 3 as a Modulation Source? I am sure that Oscillator 2 in Sync would/could pose as loopable envelope PLUS have the ability to do 'poor man's' FM at the Filter level.

It would be super kool!!!!!

..to say the absolute least
    =)

• Forgive me!!!

i should also say, Thank You for a wonderful synthesizer! It's INCREDIBLY flexible, beautiful and expressive sounding. It's bugginess (albeit pretty light and I can always find a way around it) is part of it's charm.

Mine is the 61key TI and to THIS DAY I think that it's the most beautifully designed, of the lot. The 'Oberheim-esque meet cool digital' aesthetic just kills me EVERYDAY!!!!! (and this synth has a lot of mileage already).

I couldn't part with this particular model…..maybe you guys would have to modify it's guts to get me to move on….of course, I would pay for the shipping along with other costs…

blah, blah, blah……

PLease!!

Can we have Oscillators as a Modulation Source, one day? :D

• More FM types? What variations on FM are there?

Also, what does having oscillator modulation have that the LFO waveforms don't offer, other than frequencies well into the audio range that wouldn't provide meaningful results in any practical situation (The LFOs can go pretty fast, too)...

• Hello AtonyB,

Well for starters, it would track frequency modulation! I believe this is where Thomas is coming from, as well. However, there are many other beautiful things and modulations capable this way…..

Once again, it would be kool, the say the least.

• Can we have Oscillators as a Modulation Source, one day?

if im not mistaken the LFOs waveforms are all bassed on the oscillators from the Virus B (all 67)

however there speeds do not go into the audio range

i reckon if Access gave these a speed up then you would get pretty close to using this feature as a kind of Osc Mod workaround

of course this would only give you the Classic Oscillator as a mod source

either that or could you boffins at Access come up with some way to write you own lfo waveforms...maybe using the Arp ( once you get that Massive mutliple point envelope genorator thing that i know your going to do (iwish) sorted)

any how HURRY UP WITH THE UPDATE plzzzzzz!!!!

• OK, but FM would be the limit of usefulness (oh and AM, too) - though it would be interesting to hear what would happen if you modulated filter cutoffs in audio ranges...

I think structurally it would turn the LFOs into a completely different animal by making them that fast and the efficient mathematics changes (although I would have to make assumptions about how they do FM now).

Bear in mind that you can use OSC 2 for these purposes anyway (at least for FM and AM) and if you feel the loss of an oscillator then there is always OSC 3 for you and the sub osc, too...

Blue skies suggestions are interesting, but to suggest such a fundamental change in architecture for something that might be 'kinda cool' is a bit of a long shot...

• No I'm not an insider - but I am in the process of learning to be a DSP engineer, In fact I am presently churning my way through data sheets for a TI TMS320C5515 trying to understand how to program the bugger (seemingly an endless road :S )!

Just my experience of programming real-time systems informing me is all - some types of real time data just don't mix because they work in entirely different time frames (slow data and fast data, if you will) - LFO being slow data and stuff in the oscillators being fast data. I could be wrong and the params in the LFO section (rather than using them in the mod matrix) could be more integrated into the oscillators meaining they could happily go into audio frequencies whilst not aliasing like crazy - and fixing that aliasing would be costly in voice count, etc.

In other words - some things which might be kinda funky, but don't produce 'good' sounds (and yes, whilst noise can be good, it can also just be useless noise) should be kept out to keep the voice count so high...

Again, all guesswork since we aren't exactly going to get a rundown of the inner workings of the virus OS - but it's not like analogue where you can plug modulation sources from anywhere to anywhere and they will just work - and let's not even get started on polyphonic VS monophonic modulation!

• I dunno about you, but I get excellent mileage (ie polyphony for given presets) out of my virus - I run whole tracks worths of synth for my band off a single multi using one or two keyboards to drive it...

• I still don't think you will get anything useful out of modulating stuff with audio domain frequencies that you don't get from FM/RM, although (as already said) I would be interested to hear what happens when you modulate filter cutoffs that quickly... And we aren't really talking circuit bending type glitchy stuff here, probably just crap... It just doesn't make sense to update parameters for anything that quickly other than amplitude - which you can already do with the ring modulator, frequency - which you can do with FM, and maybe filter cutoff (which you can't do), none of the mod effects or anything would benefit from it (e.g. effect send, well thats the same as amplitude modulating the input to the wet and dry feed - and you already have RM)..

• If you want to use Oscillators as sources, the current workaround is to set a LFO as a source and then give it some hefty Key Follow Amount. If you really want to beef up your speed, i.e. oscillator rates, set the source to a LFO and have them controlling each other's rate. This will allow you to get "tonal" rates. You would still have to use Key Follow, but I've played around with this before and it works!