Cubase 5/6 crashes on exit - Virus Control in error log?

• I've been having this problem for over 6 months now, and have been testing out all possible solutions I could think of.

Cause: Loading a custom template with prepared and connected VST's effects and routing, saving it (re-save or new file) and exiting program
    Symptoms: windows Error dialog and close.

I've tried remaking the template, re-saving it, removing VST's one by one (by vendor/type), tried both x86/x64 versions of cubase and both C5/C6 versions. Still happens.

I should also note that my PC is rock solid stable, working flawlessly on a fresh installation of win7 SP1. I also have over 12 years experience in PC, DAW software and hardware troubleshooting, so 99.99% of possible typical causes are covered. All the plugins used in the template are high end, popular, regularly updated and compatible with both x64 and x86 versions of cubase (specifically: NI kontakt, omnisphere, virus control).

Hopefully this won't turn into another ping-pong match between Steinberg and Access music. I've also posted the problem there, but this only happens with the template containing VC, and the virus is in the error log.

Any help is appreciated.

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• which ping pong match are you referring to?

marc

Seriously Marc? That's the part of the message you're replying to? :huh:

I'm referring to the issues which sometimes occur when a bug is found in one of two programs, in this case possibly VC or Cubase 5/6. When a user has a problem, and instead of help gets tossed from one company's support to another, neither wanting to acknowledge the problem on their end. Experience I had with more than one software company over the years, Steinberg included. Hence my hope that does not happen.

EDIT: The one I was referring to was the notorious VC x64 GUI problem; Access stated it was a cubase graphics problem, Steinberg said it was Access and refused to fix it. In the end, Access managed to get the GUI working. I know, because I've been reporting the problem to both companies support forums.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von LfmC ()

• Seriously Marc? That's the part of the message you're replying to?

I'm referring to the issues which sometimes occur when a bug is found in one of two programs, in this case possibly VC or Cubase 5/6. When a user has a problem, and instead of help gets tossed from one company's support to another, neither wanting to acknowledge the problem on their end. Experience I had with more than one software company over the years, Steinberg included. Hence my hope that does not happen.

EDIT: The one I was referring to was the notorious VC x64 GUI problem; Access stated it was a cubase graphics problem, Steinberg said it was Access and refused to fix it. In the end, Access managed to get the GUI working. I know, because I've been reporting the problem to both companies support forums.

yes, that's the part i was replying to because i wanted to know what you refer to. it is not uncommon, that things break with an update. it is also common, that support doesn't have enough information to reply meaningful and correct. and depending on how things go, blame shifting happens, sometimes even without the developers were asked for their input.

i can probably provide more details, if you explain what you exactly mean. the slow graphics in windows 7 for instance?

marc

ps. i didn't comment on the rest because i need to find out more, we eventually already addressed that issue in 4.5

• yes, that's the part i was replying to because i wanted to know what you refer to. it is not uncommon, that things break with an update. it is also common, that support doesn't have enough information to reply meaningful and correct. and depending on how things go, blame shifting happens, sometimes even without the developers were asked for their input.

True, but that part of the post was just me thinking out loud. I meant nothing bad, at least not towards Access. ;)

Zitat

i can probably provide more details, if you explain what you exactly mean. the slow graphics in windows 7 for instance?

I probably wasn't clear; that was just an example. I have no problems with the GUI anymore since the last couple of VS updates. The problem is the cubase crashing on exit, and VC in the error log.

Zitat

ps. i didn't comment on the rest because i need to find out more, we eventually already addressed that issue in 4.5

Ok so this was/is a know issue? And v4.5 has this fixed? :)
    That would be awesome.

• I am having the same problem,

thanks for addressing this!!

i was actually thinking it was my setup, but my pc is new and solid as well, having almost same specs as you...

and

(thats the scary part)

i get a blue screen when i switch to the virus driver in cubase

???

im using the Steinberg MR 816 as my interface, but i tried switching to the virus and got a blue screen,

will there be a software update to correct this ?

:thumbup:

• Hello, I too have the same problem and just yesterday experienced a BSOD when i turned the virus on within cubase...I have been in contact with support before and they told me to uninstall the newest ti os and use the previous one which worked without crashing upon exit, then to open up cubase and exit it making sure it doesn't crash then uninstall old driver restart and install newest ti OS once again.

It managed to not crash for a day then the same problem popped up again so then i proceeded to reinstall windows, cubase and every vst and give it another shot, i finished setting everything up and then tried testing once again.
    it became more evident that it was the virus driver causing this bug in cubase because as soon as i have the virus ti loaded and playing around with the vsti app i am guaranteed a crash when i try to exit cubase, sometimes even if i play around with the virus control for a good 30 mins or so it will crash within the project!

Please fix this issue!

Cheers.

Edit: i even tried with the cubase 6 trial and the same exact thing happens.

• Hello Marc.

Cubase does crash for me on exit every single time when i have the virus loaded like i explained. i will try report the issue again with support and see what they can do.

Cheers.

• no, this is a specific problem of your system. support can help you out.

marc

• Is it worth mentioning that I had a problem with FL crashing on exit with VC running? I'm not sure if it's still doing it and I'm not presently in a position to test it (no use, i know, but ill find out)...

• This crash does still happen on FL9, and on FL 10, however it crashes ILBridge64 when you remove the plugin or close FL - this is obviously with the 64-bit plugin, with the 32-bit one, it doesn't cause a crash, but it prevents the FLStudio process ending when you close it.

32-bit VST3 works fine, 64-bit VST3 does not load at all and causes the FL process to end with no error message when you remove the channel which failed to load.

• Sorry to hijack, but my problem is kind of related.
    I have the same problem with Ableton Live. On exit Live crashes and Windows 7 x64 tells me that the problem was "Virus Control.dll_unloaded". Also, if I've been doing one sessions which involves VC and decide to start a new one, Live crashes after about 30 seconds. If I don't have VC on a previous session, no crash.

Happens with both the beta version and release version.

• v4.5 fixes the problem. Thank you Access :)

• v45016_x86 winxp sp3
    either a crash or the .exe hangs up and blocks other tasks who get closed.
    and when the .exe of ur daw closes after a few minutes from alone, a bsod might occur (sysaudio.sys) once u turn the virus on again with usb connected.
    i wait this out and use spdif only for now.