Controlling LFO rate with ARP INPUT not working??

• Did a search here.. found a thread from 500+ days ago that mentioned this is not possible.

I just cant understand how you wouldnt be able to modulate the rate of an LFO.. This is like the most basic thing found in almost all modern Synths that allow you to use modulation.
    Im just trying to do the most basic DumpStep Bass wobble.. And having the LFO Modulate the cutoff.

I have LFO1 set to clock mode. And its modulation destination is Filter cutoff with the value all the way up. At this point it sounds correct.

Now I have the ARP set to ARP MATRIX

And in the modulation page I have the source being ARP INPUT and the destination to LFO1 rate with the slider all the way.

I get no changes at all.

Ive switched it to other things like OSC pitch.. And I can hear the changes from the ARP.

Is there something Im missing here?

The Tutorial video shows nothing beyond what Ive tried... I just cant decide where Im doing this incorrectly

any tips?

• An LFO in "clock" mode cannot be modulated. An LFO in "value" mode can. The official reason is that in most places along the beat/bar grid the change in rate will cause an audible skip in the modulating value, and Access are trying to avoid that.
    So, I have an idea in hope that Access people are reading this - to allow the transition from one rate "fraction" to another, only when the transition is smooth, for example, let the users change the rate as they please, but let the engine do the actual polling of the user's value only upon quarter notes (in case of transition to 1/2 it can decide to postpone the response to the next poll).

• An LFO in "clock" mode cannot be modulated. An LFO in "value" mode can. The official reason is that in most places along the beat/bar grid the change in rate will cause an audible skip in the modulating value, and Access are trying to avoid that.
    So, I have an idea in hope that Access people are reading this - to allow the transition from one rate "fraction" to another, only when the transition is smooth, for example, let the users change the rate as they please, but let the engine do the actual polling of the user's value only upon quarter notes (in case of transition to 1/2 it can decide to postpone the response to the next poll).

Im not an expert so I really dont know exactly why a softsynth like Massive blows Virus out of the water in terms of having the ability to change the rate of an lfo in clock mode. Im using a Virus Snow which I think also may be the problem. A lot of people have been commenting that the Snow isnt able to to use 100% of the TI side. I thought it was suppose to.
    So is this "Audible skip" just something Access cannot figure out? or is this a hardware limitation?

• djfrogstar: I haven't heard of *any* way in which the synthesis engine differs from that of the full Ti desktop/keyboard/Polar. From what I understand, the *only* way in which they differ, in terms of their synthesis engine, is the number of parts and the number of voices.

edit: Massive can automate sync'ed LFO rates, but this is a relatively new feature. The first few versions didn't allow this when the LFO was sync'ed, and not many other synths handle this type of thing well.

I quite like using Vember Surge for any task where I need extreme control over modulations and LFOs. Hope this helps.

• djfrogstar: I haven't heard of *any* way in which the synthesis engine differs from that of the full Ti desktop/keyboard/Polar. From what I understand, the *only* way in which they differ, in terms of their synthesis engine, is the number of parts and the number of voices.

edit: Massive can automate sync'ed LFO rates, but this is a relatively new feature. The first few versions didn't allow this when the LFO was sync'ed, and not many other synths handle this type of thing well.

I quite like using Vember Surge for any task where I need extreme control over modulations and LFOs. Hope this helps.

Yeah that helps... So are you using this other synth to control parameters in the Virus TI in a DAW? Or do you just mean this Surge is the bad boy of extreme modulation by itself.

The only software Ive found which is really really nice for controlling midi in other programs is something called MIDISHAPER from Cable guys. They have very powerful LFO editor which you can do some crazy stuff with.

The only solution I can find now is to figure out if its possible to get similar LFO speeds in the TI by not using the clock version.

I feel like Im going crazy ... I cant even figure out how to assign LFO1 RATE for the soft knobs... Its not in the dropdown list that I can see...

• Oh, I just meant that I use the Virus for the tasks that it's good at and use other tools to deliver that which the Virus can't.

This isn't to say that a lot of people aren't using the virus for this type of thing. I've seen setups of identical patches loaded into a multi with different lfo speeds and velocity layering for each to determine which version gets triggered. It doesn't solve the legato problem though.

If you're only looking to do this for production purposes, and not for live tweaking, you can bounce loops to audio with your tweaks of an un-synced lfo and and chop them up to taste, to either build parts or fills or whatever.

But yeah, Surge is pretty badass. This being a Virus forum I don't want to go on about it at length, but it has tough, gritty sound and has some really nice tricks up its sleeve with routing and feedback like Massive. MANY lfos, with various types and options for each(incl step sequencers and envelopes on LFOs).

The two synths compliment each other rather well. Surge doesn't sound as nice as the Virus but layered they sound terrific.

• I feel like Im going crazy ... I cant even figure out how to assign LFO1 RATE for the soft knobs... Its not in the dropdown list that I can see...

In all models except the Snow, there is a dedicated rate knob in the LFO section. In any case if a destination is missing from the list, you can always control one of the MIDI CC-s and in the modulation matrix route this MIDI CC to whatever you want.

• In all models except the Snow, there is a dedicated rate knob in the LFO section. In any case if a destination is missing from the list, you can always control one of the MIDI CC-s and in the modulation matrix route this MIDI CC to whatever you want.

Oh thankyou for that tip!
    This will be my focus tommorrow.

I was very close to getting a Desktop version of the Virus, but needed something with a small footprint. The voice # thing isnt an issue with only 4 parts available.
    but it does seem strange that lfo1 rate knob wouldnt be there in the list. Doesnt matter now!

Thanks again everyone for the help. :)