Beiträge von flabberbob

We had a thread about this a while ago, can't seem to find it.
    Anyhow, in the Config menu, global tuning page, master tuning parameter.
    Since the value -64 gives -50 semitones, each step is about 0.78 semitones.
    Selecting -41 should give you about -32.03 semitones which will reduce A above middle C from 440Hz to 431.93Hz which should be good enough (no acoustic instrument can be set that accurately, or sustain that accuracy for long).
    Hope this helps.

Sorry I can't help with the identification, but you can download the original Virus B banks (I think it's under support-> download -> discontinued products -> operating systems, but have a look around anyway) load them into the TI and go over them one by one.
    Hope this helps.

At 1:00 I hear a saw based sound. It's filtered with lots of resonance (50% - 75%). You can try lowpass/bandpass/highpass to see which suits you best. Try the 24dB filter and also try some filter distortion for character.
    These are the modulations I have noticed:
    1) The filter cutoff frequency goes up and down (use soft knob or automation).
    2) The sound is sometimes constant and sometimes it is cut up to 1/16ths - control the patch volume with an LFO in saw or square waveform and play with the curve (soft knob or automation).
    3) Sometimes a detuned saw is added - you can make both oscillators saws, make the second detuned, and play with the balance between them so that sometimes you hear only the first and sometimes you hear both.

I only hear an FM sound after around 2:50.

Hope this helps.

It could be that in -64 the left and right channels are completely inverted with respect to each other. If the delay effect uses a mono mix as an input in this case it will get silence. That's very easy to check: record the sound with stereo phase at -64 in your DAW, then set the track to a mono mix and play it back. Inverted left and right channels should cancel each other.

What happens when you set arp output on? Does the DAW record the resulting arp or the original notes you play? (I never tried this since I either play arps by hand or use an arp plugin - every modern DAW comes equipped with one).

When the USB is plugged in, the MIDI in and out at the back do not belong to the Virus anymore. They are an output of your computer as if the Virus is a soundcard. Instead, the Virus communicates MIDI to and from the computer using the "Virus Synth" MIDI ports. If you want the MIDI out port at the back to output something, you need to create a send to it in your DAW. For example, Take a channel that is fed by the Virus Synth in and send it to the Virus MIDI out.

Hope this helps.

Is it a time signature change or a BPM change? If it is the latter is it sudden or gradual (some DAWs have settings for making sudden changes sound more human)? And finally, is the change snapped to a bar or somewhere in between the grid lines?

The Virus handles well timed events better. When things get random it finds it hard to catch up. It will help to snap your changes to the start of the bar and split any long arp triggering notes so that the original note ends and continues as a new note exactly where the tempo change and bar markers are.

Hope this helps.

Most probably the storm killed the Virus power supply. If the warranty has already expired and you are not afraid of opening your polar up, you can replace it with another one with the same spec (voltage, current, regulated) and similar shape so it will fit the housing (maybe with the help of some padding) at the other side of where the cable plugs in. Test it by unplugging it from the main board, connect the power cable and measure the output voltage at the plug.
    If its OK, the next suspects are the capacitors and replacing those is more challenging.

Hope this helps.

The grain oscillator lets you control how to slice dice and rebuild the selected wavetable shape. To see exactly what you are doing I recommend watching the audio through a scope plugin (if your SW doesn't have one included you can download smexoscope). The same way, the formant oscillator acts like a phaser effect on the oscillator shape, which is best viewed in the frequency domain - so you'll need a frequency analyzer plugin.

Hope this helps.

They declare that they intend to, so I guess as long as people buy Viruses so that they have money to pay developers to work on upgrades... :) But seriously, the rate of the releases varies, and is influenced by workloads such as other Kemper products (e.g. their modelling amp). Right now I guess they are still busy with NAMM so if there was any short term major announcement we should have known about it by now, but that doesn't rule out minor fixes.