High energy patches distortion

• It seems like the more I use my Virus, the more I am noticing high-energy patches causing distortion at any volume level. The worst one is OffshoreMS, which is virtually unusable because of it. I've just noticed it in a BIG way with pd4Madonn@, which I don't recall ever having any problems before, although I may have used it only as a solo patch and not in chords like I'm trying to use it, now. With OffshoreMS, I've turned the oscillator volume down from +19 to -19 and turned off effects, which mostly removes the problem, but destroys the distinctiveness of the otherwise gorgeous patch. I've tried turning the volume knob on the Virus down which helps slightly, but it still distorts. I've got the pots on my external audio interface at about 25% (I can't use the VST because it is just unusable - crashing my DAW, oscillator drift, crackling noise, pitch bend spikes, etc., both 4.5.3.00 and 5.0). What in hell is going on?!! Have I got a defective keyboard?

• If you are experiencing distortions with very specific patches, then it is highly unlikely that this is a hardware issue with the actual unit.
    In general I always recommend to reduce the PATCH VOLUME as the very first parameter to see if this helps. In your case I would connect headphones to the unit to see if you also get this distortion coming out of the actual TI outs - to exclude this still being a too hot signal for your interface (a "25%" setting doesn't really say much, as input preamps are extremely different from interfaces to interfaces).

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner