Distorted Noise

• Hi,

I need some help reproducing Distorted-Noise FX that you can hear in this sample:

http://www52.zippyshare.com/v/14144395/file.html

Keep in mind, this is not the regular beat of the track -- rather, these FX-sounds are used as "transitions" from one section to the next in Hardstyle tracks (between sections). I'm very interested in how these FX-Transitions are made.

Maybe it's possible to have 1 patch that oscillates in some way to give these random-sounding really phat distortions? It is some synth? or a sample?

(I cut these various FX from different commercial Hardstyle tracks and "jumbled" them together, but in reality, of course, they'd only be heard every once in a while -- they're too extreme for frequent use.) Thanks in advance!

• It's not from the TI, it's from using a filter with at least a cutoff and resonance knobs. You take your hardstyle bassdrum, take the low end off using an EQ and automate the cutoff and resonance from part to part. It's very simple, I'm pretty sure you frequently use CamelCrusher or Camelphat3 for your kicks, you can use those, but any filters will do. What's cool about CamelCrusher/Camelphat is that you can also automate the distortion too.

Audio channel > filter plug in > Automation

PS: you can also add or remove frequencies with your EQ, get freaky with your DAW time stretch, etc... I had a lot of fun while producing those kick fx.

• I agree with @Hanfield about the fact that these sweeps probably didn't come from the Virus, but I hear them a little differently. To me they sound like a long sample of a distorted tone that is pitch modulated to go up, down or wherever the sweep is supposed to go.
    If you insist on recreating them on the Virus (and making happy sonic accidents along the way) I suggest the following:
    Oscillators:
    The raw oscillator sound should be thick, dirty and creamy - try a hypersaw + sub oscillator + noise generator + ring modulation.
    Filters:
    Use bandpass filters with some resonance.
    Modulation:
    Use the filter envelope or an LFO in ENV mode to create the "trail" of the sweep - when and if you want it to go up and/or down, and remember that you can "flip the sweep up on its head" if you use negative modulation. Now use it as the source in the modulation matrix (and the pre-wired routings where possible) to control the oscillators' pitch and filter cuttoff frequency. You can set the amounts to whatever you want but I believe that for best results they should all be on the same side, meaning all positive or all negative (you are welcomed to prove me wrong if you want).
    Effects:
    - As @Hanfield stated, kill the bass frequencies. Your weapon of choice can be the bass EQ and/or a highpass from the OS5 filterbank.
    - Last but not least - distortion. You can use both the filter saturation distortion and the distortion FX unit.
    How to create different flavors of this sweep:
    - Change the mixing levels of the oscillators, sub oscillators, noise and ring modulation.
    - Change the filter resonance and saturation level.
    - Change the modulation amounts as stated earlier.
    - Use different types of saturation.
    - Change the starting point of the filter cuttoffs and pitch (semitone, or simply play a different MIDI note).

Hope this helps.