Pro Tools 9 & Access Virus KB As Midi Controller Not Working

• I'm having trouble connecting my Access Virus KB as a midi controller in Pro Tools 9. I have set up my midi devices in "Midi Studio Setup" but I'm still not able to use it as a midi controller. Am I missing a step or something?

[Blockierte Grafik: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/djloekee27/Pro%20Tools%20-%20MBox%20Pro%203/kb01_zpsfeea0516.jpg~original]
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/djloekee27/Pro%20Tools%20-%20MBox%20Pro%203/kb02_zps8675c47d.jpg~original]

• First off I would make sure the Virus kb is set to Single Mode while testing this. However whenever this is the case the unit will send out Midi notes through its Midi out port when playing it, so any issue with the Midi notes getting into ProTools must be related to the Midi interface the Virus kb is connected to. I assume the Midi cables are connected correctly.
    You can easily exclude the Virus kb as the culprit if you have another Midi hardware device / synthesizer you can connect the Virus kb to and then play on it to see if you can trigger the other unit.

Back to the exact issue though: I'm not sure why you have 2 different Virus b entries in there. One entry with the Virus kb connected to the external Midi ports of the MBox Pro should be sufficient. I don't have an MBox Pro here, but I would also check the Avid documentation about this audio + midi interface to check if there's something you need to set in this device to allow Midi data to come in.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Thanks. Turns out my Mbox's breakout cable is broken. A midi to usb cable works in Pro Tools and Fl Studio. I tried a 2nd pair of midi cables but those also didn't work. So my guess is that the breakout cable and not the word clock midi s/pdif connector on the actual Mbox is broken.

I wasn't sure which one was correct under Pro Tools midi studio setup (external or control) so I just added them both just to be safe.