Arpeggiator Question

• Hello all,
    Apologies if this has already been covered, and before I waste the whole day trying to figure it out - does anyone know is it possible to use the TI2's arpeggiator on another arpeggiatorless synth (my alpha Juno) and how would you do it? I am a staunch stand-alone user so I was thinking maybe TI midi out to Juno midi in (with audio out from the Juno, of course) basically, plus what sort of configuration, etc, settings would be needed?
    Thanks!

• Yes, you can. There's a system config option to send Arp notes, you have to switch that on first. Then it will send all the Arp notes via the MIDI out. Apparently, it only works in Single mode, not Multi mode.

EG

• Thank you, EG, for your response! Much appreciated! But alas, I could not get it to work. I checked every relevant configuration parameter on both synths, but I think maybe my Roland alpha-Juno just doesn't recognize this type of MIDI info? I'm open to other suggestions. :)

• If the Virus is capable and set up to send out the Arp notes, then all you have on the MIDI out are simply MIDI Note messages, which are recognized by every MIDI enabled synth. Maybe the MIDI channels don't match? The Virus will send MIDI notes on a specific channel, and the Juno will listen on a specific channel. Check the settings on the Juno. Also, check with a computer/DAW/MIDI monitor whether the Virus actually sends the notes as you expect.

However, I've never tried that myself and would only have a possible use for it if it's available in Multi Mode. I prefer to use the Sequencer/Arp in my Sub37.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks Oli for jumping in! I have both synths set on MIDI channel 1. Maybe I should try different channels but I thought they just need to match, that's all. Also, I don't really have a way to monitor it as you suggest, so it's really just trial and error for me. :|

• Did you make any progress on that? Are you able to control the Juno from the Sub37? Are you able to play the Juno from the Virus keyboard?

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks for the follow-up, Oli!
    No progress, but I haven't explored much past making sure the MIDI channels match between the Juno and Virus with the Virus ARP send param set to "on". Don't know what else it could be. Any other ideas? (BTW, I don't have a Sub37 and the Virus is a desktop.)
    Cheers!

• (BTW, I don't have a Sub37 and the Virus is a desktop.)

Oh sorry, then I confused you with another forumite!

So you have:
    Controller Keyboard --> Virus ARP --> Juno

- Make sure you can play the Juno that way regardless of ARP
    - Make sure the Virus ARP is actually doing what you expect be checking the sound out from the Virus
    - Make sure the Virus ARP actually sends out notes (does the Juno have a MIDI activity LED?)

Currently don't have the capability to replicate your setup. Sorry!

• OK, it just hit me! I had been assuming the arp midi info just gets sent automatically without realizing that something needs to trigger it first (a separate controller keyboard which I don't have) and the Juno would be acting only as a sound module. But could the Juno be the controller simultaneously? In other words, can two midi units both have in and out connections with each other or does that create a feedback loop or something? I'm a bit of a noob in some areas but thank you Oli for jogging my brain on this!
    (BTW, the Juno does not have a midi activity LED. Its vintage but still awesome!)

• In principle yes. You have to set the Juno to "Local Off" (or however that's called there) so that the keyboard does not trigger the synth anymore but only sends notes out via MIDI.

Juno MIDI Out --> Virus MIDI In --> ARP
    Virus MIDI Out --> Juno MIDI In

Make sure that the Juno does not copy the MIDI In to the Out or you get a data loop!